Author Topic: 6 Months Old....some Questions  (Read 2001 times)

Offline Ben

• Site Member
6 Months Old....some Questions
« on: February 13, 2004, 10:37:35 AM »
Hello all

Cinder is now 6 months old and growing into a loveley strong pretty dog.

Some questions if I may

1. We feed her 3 times a day at the moment. Should we reduce this to twice yet?
2. She persistently pulls on the lead - have tried Gentle leaders but she persists in trying to pull it off. Any thoughts on a choker style?

Thanks
Ben                    

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2004, 10:59:09 AM »

Offline PennyB

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2004, 05:03:42 PM »
Have you tried training her to walk to heel rather than trying to rely on something to help you do it. I was taught the stop-start method whereby you set off with your left leg (if dog walks on left) and say 'heel' as left foot steps forward and then when dog pulls, pull dog back towards you into a sit position (reposition them if they won't sit), stay sitting for a few moments (quietly) then walk to heel again (left forward saying 'heel') and keep returning to sit position if dog pulls. Very repetitive and dog gets hang of it eventually. Dog is meant to learn to walk at your pace. Initially in training we had a treat as well or a couple of chosen words to attract their attention from nose diving and sniffing all the time (and hence not repsonding to a word you said if their noses were down). Like everything in dog training it requires patience. I vary it in training by changing direction with a 'close' command to turn them close to me and walk in another direction. Mine aren't perfect but then I haven't done as much work with them as I should (so it shows sometimes).  A lot of its about creating a bond with your dog so that they will listen to you more (hard work with cockers).

I'm trying to teach both of mine to walk together to heel at the moment. :lol:                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Laura

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2004, 01:27:50 PM »
A fortnight ago I decided to have a bash at clicker training Brogan.  His training was coming on well before this but holding his attention was impossible and walking on a lead he was always way ahead and pulling very slightly.  I had heard about clicker training but wasn't truly convinced but thought it worth a go as i could combine it with what i already do.

We concentrated on "charging the clicker" - when treats just fall from the sky!! We then moved on to holding his attention - the change already is amazing beyond belief!!!  

At 7 months he sat in a training class last night with 12 dogs round him and ignored them - with a simple leave it!!  He stared into my eyes and sat infront of me concentrating for an hour!! :D  :D  :D.  Before he was almost disruptive.  The better he got the more confident I got and the better he got again - the circle continues!!  Am waiting for a set back but light at the end of the tunnel is shining brightly!

Just by improving his attention this way has erradicated other problems without training!  His recall is so much crisper, his "leave it" has improved no end and leash walking is better.  Walking on the lead I just stop still and look around - as soon as he turns to look at me - I click and treat - he now walks back to a heel position knowing that we will move on again.  I don't however push for a tight heel at the moment - just pleasant walking on a loose lead with some sniffing allowed for good behaviour!

I read all about clicker training on the follwing websites

www.clickersolutions.com
www.clickandtreat.com
www.clickertraining.com

I found the clicker also amazing for things like cleaning out his ears etc - with my husband clicking  and treating for the right behaviour within 5 minutes he was sitting having stuff squirted in his ear with no-one holding him!!!!  Never would have believed it! :D   Before he would dash all round the lounge and kitchen barking and shouting not on your nelly are you coming near me with that!                    
Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2004, 02:47:14 PM »
Well Laura, if that post doesn't make me look out my clicker then nothing well :wink:  I've got books on it as well but it just seemed to be one of those things I've never got round to. The results you have had with Brogan sound great - just what my two young delinquents need :lol:                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Laura

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2004, 09:00:29 PM »
Wish you lots of luck - well worth a shot.  Must adapt the method to use on my 3 children - reckon it could work a treat, especially as they have very few sweets during the week!!  :lol:  :twisted:

I am chuffed with the results - especially as I am trying to train Brogan to a decent standard so that I can get my next puppy the end of the summer!  I am also hoping that it will prepare us for starting agility in May.  

An excellent tip for heel work is to use a spoon with peanut butter or something on.  When the dog is in position - click and treat with a lick of the spoon - no backache or break in walking!!  :idea:  Keep the spoon hidden though in between.  See if you look as batty as i do when out walking!!  What with my spoon and all my stopping the neighbours will have me certified!

I am not using the clicker to its full potential yet - still a little in the dark and lacking in imagination.  We will continue to discover together.  We also use the Jan Fennell dog listener methods - all coming together slowly.

We tried the Halti for walking and I watched the sparkle leave him - was pitiful although it stopped him pulling - will continue to click instead.                    
Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2004, 09:48:36 PM »
Hello Ben, Yes now is a good time to reduce feeds to twice daily.                    
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2004, 10:49:27 PM »
See if you look as batty as i do when out walking!!  What with my spoon and all my stopping the neighbours will have me certified!

I've got all my stop start walk to heel practice on cctv. There's a local station nearby and I'd just missed the train so thought I'd practice while I waited—so control have 20 min of me teaching Wilf to walk to heel along a lonely platform :lol:                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!