Author Topic: New Family member  (Read 1237 times)

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
New Family member
« on: February 14, 2004, 06:44:57 PM »
We have just brought home our new cocker, and i would like to ask your opinion on something the vet has told me, regarding feeding. The breeder has told me to feed her on raw meat and a vit and mineral podwer supplement. I had planned to feed her on this for the next few months and then ween her on to a complete food mix into adult hood. However the vet has advised me dogs should not be fed with the raw meat, and the supplements, that i shouuld use any complete food with a advanced Formula for puppies, he says the minerals are a waste of money, and the raw meat can cause problems in early age. He didn't advise against it in adult hood.
he also advises against drinking milk instead of water, and says its better for the puppy to drink water. I would appreciate any advise. I am continuing to feed my new 'baby the way the breeder has advised for now as its what she is used to, but would recommend any advised for the forthcoming weeks, so i know whats best to wean her on too, as she grows. I am confused by the difference of opinions considering the expereince of both the vet and the breeder. my family have used this vet for 25 years, and am insure what to do for the best. please help
Alan                    
CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
New Family member
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2004, 07:51:52 PM »
Opinions differ hugely on diets Alan :) Raw meat is fine as part of a balanced home-made diet but alone it would not supply all a growing puppy needs. Are you feeding anything else besides raw meat eg rice, biscuit mixer, eggs, vegetables? There is nothing wrong with feeding a diet with raw meat as part of it - the key is to feed a balanced diet which supplies all a puppy needs. I have included raw meat (minced beef or tripe) in our puppies' diets for many years & none have suffered any health problems as a result. Many breeders & owners do now feed their dogs a raw diet & there is plenty of information & books available on the subject. These sites have basic info on natural or raw feeding: http://www.prizechoice.co.uk/ and
http://www.naturalpetcare.co.uk/nutrition/...n/nutrition.htm

Other owners & breeders choose to feed a commercially prepared complete food (here your vet is right, supplementation to these diets is not needed). It is a matter of personal choice for you to decide which diet you prefer to feed your puppy in the long run. Many vets will recommend complete foods as the only way to feed dogs today (they often sell these foods in their surgeries) but other vets are more sympathetic to the natural approach.

As far as milk is concerned, technically once a puppy is weaned from its mother, it does not need milk and it can lead to tummy upsets in older pups (some dogs cannot tolerate cow's milk in particular). However many breeders & owners do continue to offer milk after weaning & it does not do any harm provided the puppy enjoys it & can digest it ok (although goat's milk is preferable to cow's milk)

Jane                    
Jane

Offline maureen

• Site Member
New Family member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2004, 01:55:21 PM »
Cooper is almost 4 months old and weighs just under 8 kilos.  I am feeding him 3 times a day, 8.30, 1.30 and 6.30 with a very small amount around 11.00 at night before he goes to sleep.  He sometimes barks around 8.30 in the morning, but most days, I go into him around 9.00 and he is fine.  I am feeding him complete puppy food with a little chicken or gravy to spice it up and giving him 300 grams a day...is this (a) sufficient and (B) the right amount of times he should be being fed?  As I live in Turkey,where most of the dogs are fed just on pasta, rice and bread...I have no guidelines, although 20 years ago I bred Westies and had an English Mastiff when in England, but lapse of time has taken away my memory or how often and correct amounts.                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
New Family member
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2004, 03:51:12 PM »
Maureen, 3 meals a day is fine for a 4 month old pup & adding a very small amount of meat to the complete kibble is also fine, provided it is just a small amount. Gravy is ok as long as it does not contain added salt which is not good for dogs. I'm afraid it's not possible to give you a definite amount that Cooper should be eating - all puppies are different in their food requirements. You should be guided by how your puppy looks - if he's nicely rounded in the body without being so fat that you cannot feel his ribs, then he is fine. If you can see & feel his ribs clearly, then he could well be too thin & will need his food increased. The amounts suggested by dog food manufacturers are guidelines only - some puppies need very much less than this & some need more.                    
Jane