Author Topic: Coat question  (Read 1079 times)

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Coat question
« on: February 17, 2004, 07:53:33 PM »
Indie is an orange roan supposedly, but since we found out about his cataract, we don't set much store by what his *breeders* told us I'm afraid. He has a buff coloured head and ears, with a white flash in between, which I love, and also some darker buff patches on his back. On some areas of his back he looks dirty, but this is like a base buff colour with white tips, giving an appearance of being a bit muddy! Is this because his coat hasn't come in properly (he's 18 weeks) or will he just be like that?

He does have roan freckles all over, but that's not what I'm talking about if you see what I mean?

Shona                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Coat question
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2004, 09:11:30 PM »
Oranges come in a range of different shades Shona - in some, the orange is quite pale whereas in others it's a rich almost red colour. It's like the variety you get with solid reds & golds. With orange roans, the background colour always looks cream rather than white - perhaps this is the "muddy" colouring you mean? I think Indie probably is orange roan from what you say - he's just at the paler end of the spectrum by the sound of it :)  Just looked & found his photo in the Gallery - yep, he's definitely an orange :)                    
Jane