Author Topic: Ancient Threads  (Read 1297 times)

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Ancient Threads
« on: February 21, 2012, 12:07:36 PM »
In the light of the Old Wind thread, I wonder would it be a good idea for old threads - say of a year or more being made 'NOT AVAILABLE'  or deleted/removed altogether.

Don't know if this would be possible, but would save any confusion,  must admit I don't always look at the date of the thread before replying  ph34r

Maybe they could be automatically locked when they reach a certain age, so folks can read 'em if they want (?) but not reply.

Just a thought!!
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Re: Ancient Threads
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 12:35:01 PM »
No I'm sorry but we wouldn't do that as old threads provide a valuable archive for people to search through for information. It's normal forum etiquette not to bump up these old threads (unless there is a valid reason) but there's no reason to remove these threads from public viewing (and it would be impossibly time consuming to lock them all as the software has no automatic way of doing this) The software does flag up a warning that a topic is old when someone tries to reply after 120 days so you'll know if you're accidentally replying to an old topic.

It's not really an issue that causes much of a problem anyway - the recent Feeding board thread was the first old bumped up thread for a very long time & no big deal :D

Jane

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Ancient Threads
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 10:02:51 PM »
No I'm sorry but we wouldn't do that as old threads provide a valuable archive for people to search through for information. It's normal forum etiquette not to bump up these old threads (unless there is a valid reason) but there's no reason to remove these threads from public viewing (and it would be impossibly time consuming to lock them all as the software has no automatic way of doing this) The software does flag up a warning that a topic is old when someone tries to reply after 120 days so you'll know if you're accidentally replying to an old topic.

It's not really an issue that causes much of a problem anyway - the recent Feeding board thread was the first old bumped up thread for a very long time & no big deal :D

Okey dokey  ;)
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.