Author Topic: Pesky grass seed - how long keep taking silica?  (Read 1288 times)

Offline badger74

Pesky grass seed - how long keep taking silica?
« on: August 04, 2014, 12:42:20 PM »
hello

Our boy has a possible grass seed in his front paw, the vet operated a few weeks ago (18th July), but couldn't find anything. She thinks it was too far down in the pad.. So she's hoping it will travel up and come out of his lower leg..

I started him on Silica last thursday evening, so it's been 3 wholes days plus 2 tablets. There's no sign of it as yet - does anyone know how long i should keep giving him the tablets? He's currently on 30C x 3/day

We've also been bathing it in epsom salts too.

He's still unable to put weight on his foot most of them time and i hate seeing him in so much pain and discomfort :(

If anyone has any other ideas of things we could try, i'd be very grateful!

Thank you

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
Re: Pesky grass seed - how long keep taking silica?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 01:08:09 PM »
I don't know of anything else but I think I would go back to the vets.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 01:36:06 PM »
Hi there - poor boy  :-\   Can you look at his paw?  If so, is there anything underneath the pad or inbetween the pads at the top of the paw?

I would take him back to the vets for anti-inflammatories, anti-b's and painkillers as it sounds like he may have an infection.  You can still use Silica with conventional meds.

With the silicea I would still be using it BUT do this for the next few hours:

put 2 pillules or tabs in a glass of water, stir very vigorously with a clean spoon, then give a teaspoonful every 15min for up to 2 hours.  Then 2 pillules every 3 hours today and 3 x a day tomorrow.

If there is any sign of a head (like a pimple or abscess) stop the Silica and exchange for Hepar Sulphate.

This was Jarvs grass seed a day before it came out -

helen & jarvis x

Offline badger74

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 02:02:43 PM »
Oh Helen, thank you so much. That's so helpful.

I'm going to give that a try and i'll let you know. Unfortunately, he's also got atophy (skin condition) and has had a lot of infections on his feet/toes, as he's always nibbling.. there is a large lump, but the vet thought it was just another of his lumps/warts that he has all over him.

I think i will take him back tomorrow too. In case it is something else or it is related to that lump..

We are long term fostering him and the poor boy has had nothing but problems since last September! Just when we thought he was getting over his digestion & other problems, this happens. It's not fair, as he is the loveliest dog.

Thanks again
x

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 07:05:37 PM »
Oh poor boy :(  Could your vet refer you to a homeopathic vet?   If conventional treatments aren't helping that much it's worth a try  :luv: :luv:
helen & jarvis x

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 08:02:18 AM »
That sounds worth a try.  Tea tree is also very good for drawing things out.  You could put some tea tree gel or dilute tea tree oil directly on the lump. It is also antiseptic and anti bacterial so will help if there is any infection present  ;)

Poor boy, I hope you find a solution soon.  :-\
Julie and Watson