Author Topic: Advice please, Ted stalking other dogs on approaching them, growling barking  (Read 617 times)

Offline Wmjat

• Teddy Boy
Ted is now 17 months old. He gets 3 good 30 min walks every day. He mainly stays on his lead due to walking him next to roads and around our estate. We do take him to the beach every other week where he is allowed of lead and I take him on a long 15m line to the green area near where we live..I keep him on a long line as there are cliffs one side and a busy road the other side. His long line doesn't hinder his walk and feel happier that if he does wander too far I can catch hold of his line easily enough if he is distracted by sniffing.

Ted has always been laid back, he is a very friendly dog to humans and other dogs (usually).

About 6 weeks ago Ted was on lead on a walk and was involved in a scuffle with another dog... My husband had him out at the time, it was a walk they had done many times. He was caught unawares by a confrontational jack Russell. Leads got tangled and Ted got bit...we didn't realise this until 3 days later that he has a single puncture wound to his side, I thought it was dry skin as he had been suffering with a condition and was already on antibiotics for this.  The vet confirmed the bite on his health check.

Since then Ted has developed a stalking type approach when other dogs are heading towards him. He doesn't do this every time but I would say 60-70% of the time. I walk him, my OH walks him and my mother walks him, he does this with us all.
Tonight my OH was walking him and Ted got into a scuffle with another dog whilst on lead. My OH says it seemed to be a simultaneous show of power between Ted and the other dog. It was too close to call which one had made the 1st move.. Ted seems unscathed this time.

I train Ted to walk on with treats after a quick sniff of a passing dog.

I'm a bit unsure how to handle and train Ted in this area, I'm not sure if he's been scarred in his nature by the original confrontation or is this a typical adolescent dog?

Ted is not neutered.

Your experiences and advice would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks

Wendy

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
Hi Wendy.
Oh no poor Ted.  What is the stalking behaviour you speak of? Could he be weighing up another do as it approaches to see its body language etc?
Hope someone can better advise you here.
Hope Ted is ok, he is such a lovely boy and would be a shame if this affected him like this.

I know Riley will sit when another dog is coming our way, he,ll not budge till its level or passed us even. I read that is actually good manners as they are saying to the other dog "I'm not a threat" etc, it's this what Ted does?

Offline lescef

Depending on what you mean by 'stalking', Ted could be giving out calming signals that dogs use to try and calm situations down.
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
Depending on what you mean by 'stalking', Ted could be giving out calming signals that dogs use to try and calm situations down.

Yes that's what I thought as his big brother Riley does exactly that, it looks like they are ready to "pounce" but its actually quite the opposite if its the same thing that is.

Offline Murphys Law

Yes that's what I thought as his big brother Riley does exactly that, it looks like they are ready to "pounce" but its actually quite the opposite if its the same thing that is.

Murphy is exactly the same. He approaches dogs very low and slowly but he is not stalking, just giving out calming messages.