Author Topic: Is this separation anxiety?  (Read 1636 times)

Offline BeausMum

Is this separation anxiety?
« on: August 23, 2020, 04:26:47 PM »
Hi all,

I have a 6 month old cocker and ever since we’ve had him he has never had to be alone due to lock down and my stupidness not realising that I should probably still go out every day to get him used to being alone. In the last 2 or so weeks I’ve been popping outside the house for 10 mins at a time and he does nothing but bark, howl, pant and pace. Each time we have left him for a test he has been exercised, usually a 30 min walk/ fetch in the park.

He is not interested in kongs, chews, toys, puzzles.... until I come back in the house and the first thing he does is pick up said item and try to chow down on it. I’ve tried to only reserve these treats for when I pop out and I pick them up when I come back in.

He also whines and barks and jumps up at the baby gate when me or partner leave the house when the other stays home with him. He follows us from room to room but will take himself out in the garden or conservatory by himself and not be bothered about us.

He sleeps in a crate in our room at night and we don’t hear a peep from him, but if we were to crate him in the day he makes such a fuss and barks etc. We tried leaving him in a baby gated hall way but he’s now started trying to jump over the gate and we are worried he’s gonna hurt himself.

Is this separation anxiety or is this something he will get used to over time?

Offline Mari

• Site Member
Re: Is this separation anxiety?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2020, 07:11:05 PM »
It does sound like separation anxiety. He can get used to being alone, but it will take time and training. You will likely have to start training him as if he was baby. Starting by just going out the door and coming back in before he has a chance to start barking. It's important to do this many times each day and to not make a fuss around it. Just to show him that it is not a big deal if you leave, and you are coming back every time. When training them to be home alone you need to start with small intervals and gradually increase the time only when they can handle the current time interval. Age doesn't really make them more comfortable home alone, training does  ;)