Author Topic: Lectures From The Vet  (Read 4664 times)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: Lectures From The Vet
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2007, 11:02:44 PM »
My dad phoned me the other night to say he had some info on "billys condition" ie his fear agression. One of his customers works at Manchester dogs home dealing with the welfare of the animals that they bring in. Dad had been discussing Billy with her, she said that she's "almost certain" that Billy sounds like he has COCKER RAGE !!!!! and that i need to google the condition as it's extremely common in solids. The cheeky mare!!! I was livid, she's not even seen Billy!!!  >:D >:D

....and she is in a position of significant influence; many people would trust her opinion because of where she works  >:(
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2007, 11:06:39 PM »
she said that she's "almost certain" that Billy sounds like he has COCKER RAGE !!!!! and that i need to google the condition as it's extremely common in solids.
OMG Jan, you poor thing having a cocker with rage! Do you want my vet's number?  :005:

Casper is now asleep sprawled on his back, legs akimbo letting the air heal his wound.   :luv: Whereas this is his favourite sleeping position, I don't think any dog would be comfortable with being tipped over when they are in an anxious state.  :-\

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2007, 11:08:34 PM »
My dad phoned me the other night to say he had some info on "billys condition" ie his fear agression. One of his customers works at Manchester dogs home dealing with the welfare of the animals that they bring in. Dad had been discussing Billy with her, she said that she's "almost certain" that Billy sounds like he has COCKER RAGE !!!!! and that i need to google the condition as it's extremely common in solids. The cheeky mare!!! I was livid, she's not even seen Billy!!!  >:D >:D

....and she is in a position of significant influence; many people would trust her opinion because of where she works  >:(

Exactly!!!  ::)

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2007, 11:10:49 PM »
she said that she's "almost certain" that Billy sounds like he has COCKER RAGE !!!!! and that i need to google the condition as it's extremely common in solids.
OMG Jan, you poor thing having a cocker with rage! Do you want my vet's number?  :005:

Casper is now asleep sprawled on his back, legs akimbo letting the air heal his wound.   :luv: Whereas this is his favourite sleeping position, I don't think any dog would be comfortable with being tipped over when they are in an anxious state.  :-\

Couldn't agree more.  Max spends soooo much time on his back, but I know if I tried to hold him like your vet suggested he'd wriggle & struggle & get himself worked-up.
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2007, 11:11:09 PM »
I have to say that ALL my bad experiences at the vets have been with the more recently (UK) qualified surgeons,  - their expectations are ridiculously high, but the older vets are far more realistic - maybe the juniors watch Caesar Milan in their spare time ?  :-\
I used to see a lovely older gentleman who has now left.  :'( This vet did seem to be very young and probably fresh out of college.
Naively I thought it would have been the other way round: the older vets would be out of date in their ideas and the newly qualified would be up to date with modern thinking.  :-\ I was obviously wrong.  ::)  

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2007, 11:14:49 PM »
I have to say that ALL my bad experiences at the vets have been with the more recently (UK) qualified surgeons,  - their expectations are ridiculously high, but the older vets are far more realistic - maybe the juniors watch Caesar Milan in their spare time ?  :-\
I used to see a lovely older gentleman who has now left.  :'( This vet did seem to be very young and probably fresh out of college.
Naively I thought it would have been the other way round: the older vets would be out of date in their ideas and the newly qualified would be up to date with modern thinking.  :-\ I was obviously wrong.  ::) 

I thought that too - one of the older partners in the practice was recommended to me when I was thinking about leaving all together, so I made a point of seeing him, and he was brilliant......he immediately recongnised that Molo was frightened of him, and spent time reassuring him, rather than just diving straight in with his cold, hard, stainless steel instruments  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline PennyB

« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2007, 12:02:32 AM »
I used to see a lovely older gentleman who has now left.  :'( This vet did seem to be very young and probably fresh out of college.
Naively I thought it would have been the other way round: the older vets would be out of date in their ideas and the newly qualified would be up to date with modern thinking.  :-\ I was obviously wrong.  ::)  

Vets often keep up to date with training courses, and I know mine goes on quite a lot of them so is learning all the time---- he's been on 4 x1-day ones in as many weeks.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2007, 09:42:56 AM »
Naively I thought it would have been the other way round: the older vets would be out of date in their ideas and the newly qualified would be up to date with modern thinking

Thats what I thought too >:(  Until the new vet at the practice decided Kali had a heart murmur, phoned me, told me she was very sick and that the prognosis was terribly poor.  She would have to go to Edinburgh to get a stent put in but prepare for the fact that we would lose her.  Mike and I stood holding each other crying as she was only about 8 months old, only to be disturbed by a call saying he had jumped the gun.  The gun being my usual vet who told him he was a buffoon. :'(  I ask for Randal or Grace now, no other.  Last time she saw this particular vet, Kali went for him.  Not that she is aggressive, she just really loathes her ears being messed with.  Its a wonder he didn't say the same to me about rage ph34r
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe