Author Topic: Welcoming visitors  (Read 2332 times)

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Welcoming visitors
« on: December 01, 2003, 08:46:00 PM »
I've had a couple of visitors this weekend and can honestly say that the thought of more with Christmas coming is not appealing due to Lotties behaviour :?

She just gets so excited and will not leave people alone, forever jumping up at them.  It doesn't just last a couple of minutes, she will just keep on and on. :oops:

Unfortunately I cannot put her in another room as we are mostly open plan downstairs (I know she would just scratch the door constantly if I did anyway :x ).  Today I have had to put her in her crate numerous times but each time she's settled (after lots of crying) and I let her out again she goes straight for the visitor again.  This really is a problem.  It is so hard to be consistent as all visitors react differently.  The ones who love dogs keep telling me it's not a problem for them and don't like it if I put her in her crate....my Dad being the biggest culprit who will not listen to me when I ask him not to encourage her.

No matter how consistent I am others refuse to listen.  I can be fairly assertive but there's a fine line between assertiveness and being rude.  HELP!!!!!!!!                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Welcoming visitors
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2003, 09:10:59 PM »
I had this problem with Vegas when he was a bit younger - he's not quite so bad now. I just put him on his lead and asked people to ignore him until he was calm. I found the more people fussed over him...even when it was pushing him off their knee :wink: ....the worse he got. It eventually twigged and now he just has a couple of minutes of hysteria before he settles down which I can deal with :)                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Welcoming visitors
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2003, 10:00:06 PM »
ohh dear Mary I know how you feel, Indie does the same!!  Its hard to know how best to deal with it :roll:   Mum has the same problem with Nell and she thinks her problems are still happening because she felt so bad about Nell jumping up on guests that whenever visitors came she would lock her out in the kitchen.  Nell is three now and sometimes still greets you by jumping on you and a little tinkle on ya shoe :wink:   I am trying not to fall into the habit of shutting Indie out when people call, although like you I do feel awful when she jumps like a loonie :oops:   I am hoping she will get better with age, but I do believe the jumping up is a cocker trait :)  

Don't despair Mary she may grow out of it, or maybe you could try the training discs, they did help with Nell :D

Emma and Indie                    

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Welcoming visitors
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2003, 10:18:26 PM »
Tinkle on ya shoe Emma, its more like a flood.  :wink: We did have a terrible time with Nell jumping,... and being a lunatic.   :shock:    She was always hyper when anyone called....   :shock:   and like Gill we used to put her on a lead. But that didnt work either. ...   So we resorted  to putting  her in the kitchen till our visitors left....Then we were told to use  discs at training school, which worked..... Now when people call we make her sit!! and then only then!! .....do we let people stroke her.  :D

Barb                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
Welcoming visitors
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2003, 03:43:02 PM »
You know - I do think its the guests that really need to be trained (in a nice way). Phoebe really likes to great people and get them to fuss her. But she knows the ones that a firm with her.

When my brother comes she now sits straight away 'cos he's had dogs before and I told him to be strict with her. She knows he won't touch her until she's sat down. She will also go on her bed if he tells her to.

Using the lead might help to reinforce it with Lottie but its really hard as the visitors need to play ball  :lol:  as well!

Good Luck

Anita & (bouncy) Phoebe                    
Anita

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Welcoming visitors
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2003, 04:48:54 PM »
You know - I do think its the guests that really need to be trained (in a nice way).

Yes, I agree Anita :?

Lottie will sit if told but as soon as you go to touch her then leaps up at you again :roll:......and if anyone has a watch or bracelet on she also mouths at it :oops:

I think I'll try the lead Gill :wink:                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Welcoming visitors
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2003, 05:40:26 PM »
Yep, you are probably right about teaching the guests not to encourge the jumping up, the dog being ignored tends to do the trick eventually. Dogs seem to instictively know who is a soft touch and who requires more respectful behaviour. Saying that though, before I got Jimmy I used to love being pounced on when visiting friends or relatives who had dogs ...... so I can sympathise with others that like it too.

Jimmy isn't too bad, he tends to go off hunting for a "gift" to present the visitor with.... but he never gets round to actually presenting it, just prances round in circles wiggling his bum. :lol: He has been known to launch himself at people though, where it hurts. :shock:   Misty is a little terror for jumping all over people, teeth chattering in excitement, growling, whimpering and barking.  :roll: She does have the excuse of being only 6 months old, so hopefully she'll calm down a bit in time. Trouble is, she doesn't confine it to visitors to the house but strangers in the street too, anyone that pays her attention gets a mauling. :lol:

Just remembered........ when he was a pup, I used to clap my hands loudly at  Jimmy and shout "enough" to get him to leave people alone....... it seemed to work.                    

Sue H

Welcoming visitors
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2003, 07:50:50 PM »
Could be an idea to leave a lead on and just put your foot on it to keep the pup fairly static and/or give some leeway if it is behaving.  It's really difficult when everyone wants to make a fuss, but whan they realise that they are restricted, it gives them a chance to calm down and then be given the opportunity to behave nicely.  A long lead diverted round a table leg, so that you can control the extent to which the dog can roam in the room without seeming to be there yanking it back can be helpful.  Bless them, they aren't babies for long!!                    

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Welcoming visitors
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2003, 12:09:35 PM »
I have the very same problem with Butty  :roll:
I do remember Lottie acting very different with me Mary...she didn't jump on me at all  :?
I must admit Butty is fairly good at sitting and waiting for the attention...but don't dare stop giving her attention or you've had it  :wink: if you stop petting her with one hand she moves to the other side or paws you to death  :shock:  :shock:  This also extends to meeting people in the street, which is a bit embarrasing especially when she's wet and dirty  :oops:
I used to worry about it alot...but to be honest it is just her personality and if people come to my house they just have to accept it  :wink:                    

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Welcoming visitors
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2003, 09:42:48 AM »
I have the very same problem with Butty  :roll:  
I do remember Lottie acting very different with me Mary...she didn't jump on me at all  :?  
:wink:

No she didn't Gilly, it was most unlike her but I think it was because she could smell Buttons on you.

Last week when we went to London Cocker Show, Alice and I had been gone 8 hours and Lottie would normally go 'mental' when we returned but although she was extremely pleased to see us her nose was glued to our trousers.  She did not stop sniffing (well, snorting more like) us for about 20 minutes :roll:

So there's the answer....make sure visitors have been in contact with other dogs before entering the house :lol:                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline Julie Marie

• Site Member
Welcoming visitors
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2003, 07:22:51 PM »
My Benny who is now 6 months old is exactly the same and I know it sounds silly but I am so pleased that seasoned cocker owners are having the same problem!  :D My best mate who owns two well behaved Staffies told me that Ben was out of control and I was going to have a problem with him when he was an adult if I didn't get a grip with his jumping up at visitors now  :? Is it really a cocker trait? When I arrive home I tend to just let him jump a couple of times, I say hello and then I tell him off if he jumps again and he has started to stop so i tell him he is a good boy and he tends to be calmer now. I hope I am doing the right thing  :?:

Daisy and Ben                    
Jools

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
Welcoming visitors
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2003, 01:28:59 AM »
i think its a cocker thing . i have no idea how to fix the problem either  :( . i hope someone does . bells the same only she speaks to them too , she does this wo wooo thing not a bark its all very cute to start but after a while :?                    

Offline Katina

• Site Member
    • Kennel Pretty Flower's
Welcoming visitors
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2003, 06:55:56 PM »
I've taugh my lot to carry toys instead of jumping on people. When they were puppies I gave them the toy to carry, nowadays they go and get the toys themselves :). When I myself come home, I _never_ pay any attention to the dogs at first. I just take my shoes and coat off, maybe pop into the toilet, check the mail etc. After I while I call the dogs to me and we say our hellos. All the time I am "ignoring" them, they sit there with they're toys in their mouths, wagging their tails and waiting for mum to "see" them.
So it's not hopeless, not even with a cocker  :wink: !                    
There's only one, -but that one is a lion

Offline DawnLou

• Site Member
Welcoming visitors
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2004, 09:56:34 PM »
which is a bit embarrasing especially when she's wet and dirty

(Not sure if I quoted correctly) - Would like too add, particularly when guests are wearing cream!  Didn't go down too well when my sister arrived in her brand new and rather expensive cream coat!!!

Anyway I have found that if you invite everyone round more frequently they soon learn to get used to it (the guests that is, Jarvis bounds all over them) and they remember to wear dark colours when visiting :P  :P  :P                    
Dawn and Jarvis