Author Topic: Cats  (Read 1401 times)

Offline Katherine

• Site Member
    • http://www.howellsdesign.co.uk/katherine//
Cats
« on: January 03, 2004, 08:54:36 PM »
I'm about to get my first cocker spaniel puppy in a few weeks, but i have already got a cat. He is seven years old and quite aggressive. He is very territorial and I'm worried that he is going to attack the puppy or else run away from home. How should I introduce them. And what is the best way to keep them both happy. If anyone has experience of cats and dogs could they give me some advice. thnx

Katherine                    
Katherine and Barnaby

Offline PennyB

Cats
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2004, 10:17:52 PM »
First time my cats (I have 2 boys) met my 8 week old puppy (their 1st dog) Ruby was in the crate (with door shut) while they came for an inspection so they could get used to this new interloper. In the early days as you need to keep an eye on the pup for other hazards it may be worth putting the pup in the crate or a pen anyway if you are in another part of the house or at least shut them in a room if there's one so that the pup is safe/secure out of harms way.

Make sure your cat has an escape route or several around the house so that she doesn't feel threatened either. In the end I have a stairgate the cats can get over but my dogs can't and so the cats have the run of the upstairs and will come down to join the dogs if they want to. I found all this was very important in the early days so that the cats had their own safe haven and didn't feel pushed out (my sister didn't bother with any of this and her cats moved to the garage for months).

Try not to let the pup to run after the cat as this could lead to confrontation. I useed distraction techniques as far as I could—squeaky toy or something other noise. Mine will still chase the cats sometimes but methinks my cats like the game of chase as they've always got somewhere to jump up on to if they want.

One thing I found was really a must in our house was to keep the cats bowls at a level higher than the dogs can reach. In my case the cats get fed on the 1st floor landing. Spaniels are notoriously greedy especially some pups and my cats would never get fed if I left all their bowls together. Also this means that I can regulate greedy cockers food to stop them getting fat (now that one of them is spayed) and also my cats get fed dry food ad lib and like to take their time so it wouldn't be fair to deprive them of food also.

Cats will only be territorial with other cats. The only threats are when cats are confronted with nowhere to escape to.

It will take time and you'll find being at home most of the time house-training a pup and dealing with situations as they arise will make 2 weeks even seem like 2 months.

Your cat may only just tolerate having the pup around but lead a peaceful existence. I've heard many a story on other websites of cat hating greyhounds who's new owners put in a lot of hard work and time into introducing the cat to the dog (basically not forcing it) and months down the line the cat can be seen occasionally sleeping with the dogs.

Of my two cats Eddie was the most reluctant convert to having dogs in the house. He wouldn't sit in the sitting room for weeks after I got the 1st one, but I didn't worry as he was more than comfortable upstairs (food, warm bed and water and even the litter box). If ever he saw them he hisses and if cornered will wallop them (but hasn't yet scratched). This afternoon while Wilf (7 month old roan) 'danced' round him in the kitchen trying to get his attention Eddie stood very still and cocked his head forward for Wilf to give him a wash (which he does a lot of at late—Wilf obliges of course until naughtiness takes over his sensibility :lol: ).                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline DawnLou

• Site Member
Cats
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2004, 09:46:19 PM »
Hiya

Penny's advise is really thorough and I completely agree.  My female and rather shy cat was four years old when I brought Jarvis (now seven months) home.  One thing I would like to add is that you should be very patient - you obviously don't expect them to immediately fall in love and cuddle up in front of the fire that is why you are posting this, but unfortunately I did!!  I was really upset when as soon as Jarvis found his voice, Tilly (the cat) fled his company and has only recently began to feel comfortable around him again.  So for the last five months Tilly has claimed the upstairs of the house where she now has her bed and her food and Jarvis has downstairs (separated by stairgate) until night time when Jarvis sleeps in my room, and Tilly lets herself out of the dogflap and has a roam downstairs!

Anyway the good new is that over the past two weeks Tilly has been making the odd appearance downstairs whilst Jarvis is present and in the morning when Jarvis bounds out of my room to go downstairs, Tilly no longer heads for her room, but lets him approach for a sniff and even a little play with her tail.  Jarvis sometimes lies in front of her (acting submissive I think to let her know he is not a threat) and if he gets a bit giddy, she gives him a paw on the head.  I think this may be the light at the end of the tunnel.

I too was worried that Tilly may disappear as she came to us as a stray, however, she stayed and maybe one day I will catch them cuddled up in fron of the fire after all.                    
Dawn and Jarvis

Offline taliska

• Site Member
    • Our Family
Cats
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2004, 11:59:23 AM »
gthe advise given is very good, we have three cats the eldest being 13 the youngest 7.  It has been a long road but we are finally getting back to some normality Tali is now 7 months.  The cats food is in the kitchen with stairgate and there is also a stairgate on the stairs and Tali is not allowed upstairs. At first the cats just used to run away which caused us loads of problems now they have now realised that if they don't run and stand up to Tali (yes sometimes with claws, though they have never hurt him) he gives them a wide birth.  If the run he will still chase and we seem to be for ever saying no, it is getting better.  we try to get him to sit and stay when we let them in or out so they can do so without fear, which he is getting good at.  I would add though that we have a crate for Tali so if we are out or at night the cats have free reign and we don't have to worry about any clashes.  Two of the three cats of joined us in the front room at night now, they stayed away for a few months, but they are often now asleep on the sofa with Tali not too far away.  

Patience is a must I'm afraid, it will take time..

good luck
 :D                    
Sue, Steve
Twins Sam and Sophie
Cockers - Taliska & Jurra
Puddy Cats - Tigger, Frankie & Tino