Author Topic: Worried  (Read 5125 times)

Offline ruth_2_hot

• Site Member
    • http://janandnoel.com
Worried
« on: April 23, 2005, 07:27:28 PM »
:( have been in contact with jane who very kindly pointed me in the direction of NILIF which i have printed and read and read and have been taking the very good advice BUT , im worried sick hunny is such a lovely friendly little cocker who i must admit i adore her something rotten but , she is trained shes fab at recall unless chased by two stupid dogs  :angry: she sits and waits for her food also sits waits to go out will give me anything back shes got in her mouth shes loved and adored by the kids and OH ,  but recently shes showing signs of aggression towards the kids and oh especially if shes on my bed and they come in the bedroom so ,   shes not slept in our room for over a week shes back in her basket in the dining room , that priviledge has been taken away think she was guarding me in bed  :angry: shes now started growling if the kids stroke her when she is lay on the floor or in her bed shes never bothered before ,  i know shes at that age where shes trying it on but ive been so worried anyone had similar problems any advice would be gratefully accepted , shes been to the vets a few weeks ago and was given the all clear , so its not an underlying illness , also shes nipping at me when im brushing her and trying to look in her ears is a no no , i really am fed up at the minute  thanks guys luv ruth x :(

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Worried
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2005, 07:35:05 PM »
Aww Ruth, firstly ((bigfatcuddle)  :)

Secondly, I am sorry to read this Ruth :(   I can't offer any advice i'm afraid, but just wanted to say I was thinking of you n yours.  

Take care, you know where I am if you need to chat :)

Em

Offline tobycat

• Site Member
    • Elmonts Online
Worried
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2005, 07:49:53 PM »
Hi Ruth :D

So sorry to hear about Hun :(  After all the temperament problems I had with my little black girl, Sasha, I hate to hear of anyone having similar problems. :(

What age is Hun now? Sash was about a year old when we first started noticing problems with her. Not that I am likening your lovely Hun to Sasha of course...Sash had all sorts of problems which  Hunny doesn't.

If you want to talk pm me anytime :)

Take care :)
http://www.justgiving.com/lizelmont
"On judgement day if God should say, "Did you clean your house today?"
I will say, "I did not, I played with my dogs and I forgot." Anon.

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Worried
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2005, 08:01:33 PM »
shes now started growling if the kids stroke her when she is lay on the floor or in her bed shes never bothered before ,  i know shes at that age where shes trying it on but ive been so worried anyone had similar problems any advice would be gratefully accepted
[snapback]119870[/snapback]

Maybe as she's getting older she just wants to be left in peace when she's lying down - Jimmy can sometimes be a bit like this, other times he'll roll on his back to have his belly scratched. He doesn't growl, it's more of a frustrated grumble really, his way of saying "just leave me alone, will you ?". To be honest I think it's fair enough - I wouldn't want somebody interrupting my sleep to paw at me either. :D

Hopefully a combination of the NILIF and getting the kids to give her a bit more space will improve things. :) Maybe getting the kids to take turns feeding her might help too, using the NILIF thechniques of sit and wait - she could be relating all the good things with you, feeding and walks etc and so think you are the only one she needs to behave nicely for.

Offline daunting

• Site Member
Worried
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2005, 08:04:45 PM »
Ruth i so sympathise with you - am having the same problems with Max - he actually bit my 6yr old a couple of days ago, nothing bad but scared the life out of her.
He has also gone to bite myself and my other children on and off over the last couple of months.

I have to tell him 'no' quite harshly when he has done that and he must know he has done wrong as he then sits and gives a paw and i can then take him into the kitchen for a timeout without fear of him trying to bite again.

Donna, *Tia*, Saffi, Max, Harley, Egan, Mia

http://hope-rescue.proboards.com/index.cgi

Offline ruth_2_hot

• Site Member
Worried
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2005, 08:09:59 PM »
:) thanks for all the replies its very welcome advice all gratefully recieved im going to the vets next week to book hun in to have her spay done and will talk to the vet about my concerns , but i trust you all on col and value you help forgot to mention before when she has done the snapping or growling and i tell her off she is told to go in her bed which she does straight away she then sits crying this can carry on for a good ten minutes she then sulks at me , i just ignore her which seems to upset her more than the telling off  x

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Worried
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2005, 08:10:14 PM »
:( Aw Ruth - so sorry you are having problems with Hun - hope someone can help you out  ;)

Take care, BIG [/size]hugs from us xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline PennyB

Worried
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2005, 08:16:24 PM »
shes now started growling if the kids stroke her when she is lay on the floor or in her bed shes never bothered before ,  i know shes at that age where shes trying it on but ive been so worried anyone had similar problems any advice would be gratefully accepted
[snapback]119870[/snapback]

Maybe as she's getting older she just wants to be left in peace when she's lying down - Jimmy can sometimes be a bit like this, other times he'll roll on his back to have his belly scratched. He doesn't growl, it's more of a frustrated grumble really, his way of saying "just leave me alone, will you ?". To be honest I think it's fair enough - I wouldn't want somebody interrupting my sleep to paw at me either. :D

[snapback]119898[/snapback]

Ruby also does this, she sits and grumbles if you touch her sometimes but for me its nothing to worry about as its just her being grumpy (she's quite vocal aobut most things). Rocky cocker often used to sit all on his own and grumble away like a big bear when he was here.

TTouch might help with her especially with the nipping bit. When I com eup against something like this I don't go ahead and complete the whole task but in stages and treat them at every stage (even touching)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline PennyB

Worried
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2005, 08:27:10 PM »
I've PMd you the name of the local TTouch person in Lancs.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Worried
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2005, 08:32:17 PM »

It's natural for kids to want to cuddle a dog, especially when they see them all cosied up and sleepy - once past puppyhood a lot of dogs just don't like it though. When I'm at my sister's her kids just can't help doing this - Misty will put up with more or less anything from them without complaint, but will eventually take herself off to somewhere that they can't disturb her. She also knows to leave Jimmy alone when he's really tired as a couple of times he's given her a real growl just for walking past him while he's trying to sleep. :rolleyes:

Adolescence can bring all kinds of unexpected behaviour and the lines need to be redrawn - it seems to me you are doing this Ruth, so hopefully things will gradually settle down a bit eventually. Good luck. :)

Offline *-Nikki-*

• Site Member
    • www.nicibec-cockers.moonfruit.com
Worried
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2005, 09:36:10 PM »
Have never experienced anything like this Ruth.
just hope things improve for u all tho :) ...
Nicola x

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
Worried
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2005, 11:52:45 PM »
Ruth, I can't offer any advice I'm afraid but just wanted to say that I hope others suggestions will be of some help to you in managing this issue with Hunny  :)

Louise
Cocker Kisses from Louise & Piper xxx

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Worried
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2005, 12:36:36 AM »
I'm sorry to hear your having trouble Ruth  :(  I havenm't experienced this with Buttons either but I can understand your concern and hope that she pulls her socks up and stops this behaviour  ;)

Offline ruth_2_hot

• Site Member
Worried
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2005, 12:04:29 PM »
:) thanks everyone for your caring comments helped a lot last night when i was at my wits end , anyway bit of a breakthrough this morning , i took her out for her walk good as gold as usual , we got back and while she was having a drink i put all her grooming brushes etc on the dining room table on a big towel , before she could comp0lain i put her up on the table talking to her all the time and brushed her quite firmly she never complained , i then trimmed her paws and feet she tried to sit down but was swiftly put back up again while she was wiped all over , her ears were wiped out and brushed and she never bothered , she was rewarded for being such a good girl with a pigs ear in her bed , hopefully she will soon see whos boss and this awful behaviour will stop , i think she has got too big for her boots and is behaving like a spoilt little madam , will keep you all updated whenw e have seen the vet tommorow xxxxx need to go to have anal glands emptied i think judging by the whif this morning and thats one thing i aint attempting  :lol:  loads of love ruth n attila the hun xx

Offline daunting

• Site Member
Worried
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2005, 12:41:42 PM »
Really pleased to hear that Ruth :D

Attila the Hun :lol:  :lol:
Donna, *Tia*, Saffi, Max, Harley, Egan, Mia

http://hope-rescue.proboards.com/index.cgi