Author Topic: Worried  (Read 5122 times)

Offline ruth_2_hot

• Site Member
    • http://janandnoel.com
Worried
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2005, 12:51:34 PM »
:blink: have just spoken to huns breeder , i wanted to know if any of the others out of huns litter were displaying aggression like her , she is in touch with all of her offspring and said that to her knowledge no apart from the usual trying to be top dog  :P but what she did say was that huns mum is also a little madam very confident and has to be put in her place she said she is very stubborn , she said hun was the most confident of the litter from day one , she said the same as the advice  ive been given on here so thats put my mind at rest a little , she also thinks with her having the phantom and her season being due again may june it could be hormonal so with any luck that may help xxxxxxxxxx  :) she thought i was phoning to say i wanted to go on the list for another puppy  :blink: not bl  dy likely at the moment luv ruth n attila the hun

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Worried
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2005, 01:02:29 PM »
I think your breeder is probably right Ruth  ;)  some puppies will take a mile if you give it to them while others are quite happy being bossed around, like Buttons  ;)
I have heard Jane saying before that she often matches the puippies personality with that of the owner, Ie a more confident bossy pup would go to a more xperienced owner.
I think your doing the right thing and being firm with her especially as she as at that awkward teenage age.  I know you have kids and I would compare her behaviour to having a tantrum, let her get away with it and she'll keep doing it  ;)

Offline ruth_2_hot

• Site Member
Worried
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2005, 01:07:25 PM »
:) yep Gilly i agree with you i think i have said before she has always been very confident so its a battle of wills now and she wont win if an 18 year old and her 16 yr old brother dont win thats without the rest of the kids then im sure a golden bundle of attitude isnt going to  :lol:  ;)

sweetie

Worried
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2005, 09:01:36 AM »
aww babe,,kiss hunny bunny for me,,not just little one,s,,GREAT BIG FAT MONSTER ONE,S :lol:  ;)i know you will sort it hun,,she,s a lovely girlxxxxxx

Offline PennyB

Worried
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2005, 09:20:00 AM »
:blink: have just spoken to huns breeder , i wanted to know if any of the others out of huns litter were displaying aggression like her , she is in touch with all of her offspring and said that to her knowledge no apart from the usual trying to be top dog  :P but what she did say was that huns mum is also a little madam very confident and has to be put in her place she said she is very stubborn , she said hun was the most confident of the litter from day one , she said the same as the advice  ive been given on here so thats put my mind at rest a little , she also thinks with her having the phantom and her season being due again may june it could be hormonal so with any luck that may help xxxxxxxxxx  :) she thought i was phoning to say i wanted to go on the list for another puppy  :blink: not bl  dy likely at the moment luv ruth n attila the hun
[snapback]120056[/snapback]

Sounds like my little madam, Ruby. You have to keep your wits about you. Like you I chose the most confident pup in the litter who had me tearing my hair out from day 1. Its always been a battle of wits with Ruby, and talk about stubborn. Your breeder is so right, am very sure that a lot of problems of this kind are because of overconfident dogs who really challenge their owners. I know that in the wrong hands Ruby would've had a new home by now (what she didn't reckon on was having an owner who was more stubborn than her LOL). It doesn't make it any easier when you're going through these challenges but comforting to know its because they're trying it on and you're not alone.

Saying that I have Ruby's half-brother who is the total opposite!
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

hafod

Worried
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2005, 11:20:04 PM »
Really pleased to hear that Ruth :D

Attila the Hun :lol:  :lol:
[snapback]120053[/snapback]
I had a traumatic year with a young beautiful Red dog suffering from Rage Aggression,not that I think yours is anywhere near what mine was like.What I really wanted to say was I have one now,a Gold/Red young dog,who although he curls his lips as if snarling,he does not mean anything - I know there is a big difference in this one,it is almost as if he is talking with me.
I used to dread Grandchild days last year as it was a nightmare watching the youngster with the other dog who I could never trust for 1 second -although he was "reasonable" most times with me.It is great that I can trust this one,curling lips and all!
I recall many years back I had a very dominant Dalmation and he actually bit my 2 year old son on his face,there were  marks all down one cheek.Anyway I really laid the law down that day and the dog ended up shut in a stable all day.A lady living near told me not to act too quickly as she felt the dog should be given another chance.Anyway,I cooled down and the dog stayed with us and never bit the child or anyone again.However he had to go in the end as my husband and he started to disagree on everything,he had a very good home and peace returned.
Returning to your problem,try not to worry too much as sometimes,especially where children are concened we get overly anxious.Have you thought about giving the dog 100% fresh food.I find boiled brown rice and fresh meat or tripe seems to have a calming effect but the complete foods can make them hyper as does many medicines.

Offline ruth_2_hot

• Site Member
Worried
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2005, 10:32:25 PM »
:) just a quick update Hunny is responding really well to her new set of rules  :lol: no more on my bed having to sit for everything shes really calmed down a lot from last week , the only prob ive got is shes weeing on trhe kitchen floor when we come down in a morning , shes been clean for ages wondered if this is part of the im not happy im not on your bed tactic , i also think she going to start her second season so that maybe why shes been a madam too , love ruth n hunny xx :)

Offline paddys mum

• Site Member
Worried
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2005, 09:05:03 AM »
Hi Ruth,
          Sorry to hear you've a little madam on your hands!  ;) I hope she starts behaving herself soon, sounds like you're doing the right thing with her. Hope things keep on getting better.  :)
Nicola, Grace & Paddy xxx

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Worried
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2005, 10:21:35 AM »

That's brilliant Ruth, well done - it's great when a slight change in the way you do things can bring almost instant results. It also encourages you to persist :D

hafod

Worried
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2005, 12:03:22 PM »
:) just a quick update Hunny is responding really well to her new set of rules  :lol: no more on my bed having to sit for everything shes really calmed down a lot from last week , the only prob ive got is shes weeing on trhe kitchen floor when we come down in a morning , shes been clean for ages wondered if this is part of the im not happy im not on your bed tactic , i also think she going to start her second season so that maybe why shes been a madam too , love ruth n hunny xx :)
[snapback]122462[/snapback]
Ruth, you have hit the head of the nail on this one.Your little girl is suffering with up and down Hormone levels.We had 2 English Setters that were pains around Season time,they would be all over the place,moody one minute,piddling on the floor the next.They cannot help it as all women who suffer with this WILL Know!!.One old Vet we had said lost of bitches have tremendous poblems with seasonal hormone changes.
Just give her lashings of love and try and keep her quiet.I wouldn't let the children play with her too much if you can help it, as she will be  moody.

Offline PennyB

Worried
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2005, 12:50:53 PM »
That's brilliant Ruth, well done - it's great when a slight change in the way you do things can bring almost instant results. It also encourages you to persist :D
[snapback]122512[/snapback]

Yes brilliant news its starting to work already and regardless of her hormones worth persisting with (madam Ruby while even more a pain in the backside pre/during/post season, can still be a pain at times even without her hormones)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Worried
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2005, 04:46:00 PM »
:) Great news Ruth, well done  ;)

Daisy had accidents during her season, so I should'nt worry too much, will probably be back to normal soon  ;)

BIG hug :wub: for Hun xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

jools

Worried
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2005, 05:17:53 PM »
Ruth, Have a look at my threads.....I think Millie and Hun could be one and the same dog  :D
Millie is a bossy brute...and she has food aggression!!
Things came to a head for us when she almost bit me when I tried to stroke her while she was curled up on my bed with me.
These cockers are torture!!! It's a daily battle in our house...but there's no way our red girl is going to get the better of us!!!! This isn't something you can do once with Hun...you're going to have to make sure pup gets the message that you're in charge again and again and again!

One last thing...and I know that this is going to get people's backs up....
RED / GOLDEN COCKERS ARE MUCH WORSE THAN PARTICOLOURED!!
There...get the  P.M going, telling me off.  :P  :P

As some of you know, I was looking to home a recue cocker recently. 99% of the ones in shelters are red...and have behaviour issues...and can't be homed with cats/kids/dogs!!!

I spoke to one breeder last week about this. She tells me that she only sells her solid coloured dogs to homes without kids...because solids are a handful !!! Her dogs are well bred.....so what chance is there for us dumb folk who buy red cockers who turn out to have been puppy farmed!!!

I know I am making a huge generalisation...and I know that there are members out there who have angel solid's..but, in my opinion, an inexperienced cocker owner either sinks or swims with these guys!

I'M STILL SWIMMING !!!

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Worried
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2005, 05:31:03 PM »
I spoke to one breeder last week about this. She tells me that she only sells her solid coloured dogs to homes without kids...because solids are a handful !!!

This disappoints me for a number of reasons  :( ; surely carefully selected breeding should eliminate the need to "avoid" children; why select for this type of personality? - it seems to contradict the breed standard of " Gentle and affectionate......"

Each potential home, and each pup/dog are different; to set a blanket policy like this can be counterproductive -  but thats a different debate :ph34r:  :(
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

jools

Worried
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2005, 05:38:47 PM »
I spoke to one breeder last week about this. She tells me that she only sells her solid coloured dogs to homes without kids...because solids are a handful !!!

This disappoints me for a number of reasons  :( ; surely carefully selected breeding should eliminate the need to "avoid" children; why select for this type of personality? - it seems to contradict the breed standard of " Gentle and affectionate......"

Each potential home, and each pup/dog are different; to set a blanket policy like this can be counterproductive -  but thats a different debate :ph34r:  :(
[snapback]122593[/snapback]

I know what you're saying Rachel, but owning a nightmare Red...and having a young family, I found this to be responsible thing for her to say. She's been breeding them for 50 years. She said that if these people still wanted solids, fine, but they wouldn't be getting one from her!!
She was not saying that all solids are aggressive brutes, simply that they are unpredictable and not suited to families with young children.
As for breed standard....Millie is not gentle or affectionate...but Bramble, on the other hand is very much in keeping with the breed standard.