Author Topic: Change in behavior for Ben  (Read 894 times)

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
Change in behavior for Ben
« on: May 07, 2013, 09:13:05 PM »
I'm not sure I really want to be asking this question, as I am worrying its age related, and Ben is only 10  :'(
But he has adopted some new behaviors recently and I am not sure why.  Ben has always been completely bomb proof to noises, changes in furniture, changes to routine etc. he is not really a nervy sort of dog with us in the house. But recently if either me or OH are doing anything in the house eg cleaning, moving things in cupboards, hoovering, he behaves strangely.  This weekend OH was spring cleaning the garage which involved moving things around and was quite noisy. Ben took himself upstairs and went into the office and sat under the desk and wouldn't come out till we had finished. He was not agitated or showing any signs of anxiety eg licking his lips etc he was just completely still.  If we do something in the house if the door is open he runs into the garden and again just stands there completely still. He has never been bothered by anything like this before. He don't look anxious or scared but he is just acting out of character. 

He is also incredibly clingy and asks to be picked up or cuddled all the time.  He has always been affectionate to us but this is different, if one of us sits down he asks to be picked up immediately. He seems well in himself no signs of ill health so not sure what to think.  Has anyone experienced this sort of behavior?  Sorry for the long post but I have been worried about this.

Offline Redked

• Donator
  • Beautiful Bonnie Boo (formerly The Destroyer)
Re: Change in behavior for Ben
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 10:02:52 PM »
I'm only a newbie novice to cocker parenthood but our labrador Lizzy had a change in behaviour as she got older. I know 10 isn't old but she became 'nervy' and more unsure into her middle aged period. When we had people visit she used to go upstairs for peace and quiet. Even when my mum visited and yet she had always visited most days from Liz being a pup-even holidayed with mum when we went away. We wondered if Lizzy had lost some hearing so familiar noises sounded strange to her? She was also very fussy and needed lots of reassurance at certain times as she aged. The vet was never concerned as she was physically OK. It could just be like us humans-when we get older we want more peace. I would ask your vet for advice if it really worries you.

Others on here will know a lot more than me but our experience with Lizzy was just a natural ageing process and she was still a happy lab so we never worried too much-just let her have her peace and quiet and fuss when she wanted it.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 10:17:35 PM »
I can understand how concerned you are, as any unexplained change in behaviour is worrying. To be honest, I'd be worried too if it was happening to one of mine (William will be 9 in a few days and sometimes I find myself looking at him to try and spot any changes that might indicate that he's aging).

My first Cocker started to go deaf at about Ben's age and was also diagnosed with an enlarged prostate (benign) and mild heart failure between the ages of about 9 and 12. I can't remember the exact order that it all happened as it was many years ago now, but the deafness initially seemed to confuse him a little.

I think if Ben were mine I'd get him checked by the vet in case there's an underlying cause. My old boy was put on some tablets called Vivitonin http://www.petmeds.co.uk/p-4084-vivitonin-tablets-50mg.aspx which seemed to make him brighter and waggy tailed again after a period when he was just beginning to look and act a little strangely. I'm not saying that's what Ben needs, but I think a vet check could be a good idea.

Hope you find and answer and a solution. Hugs to you and Ben :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 08:46:26 AM »
Thank you for your replies  :-* I think I will get Ben checked over in case there is something going on. Tried a quick hearing test - OH said 'Ben' very quietly and got progressively louder and Ben did not respond at all. Then he said 'biscuit' so quietly that I could barely hear him and guess what an instant response  :005:  I have avoided doing anything as I wondered if it was just me being slightly paranoid and looking for signs of aging where there are none  ph34r but this weekend we both acknowledged his behavior is different, so a once over at the vet is a good idea.  Thank you again  :luv:

Offline Lovely

Change in behaviour for Ben
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 09:13:55 AM »
Hope all goes well with the health check. All my dogs have tended to take themselves off for some peace and quiet as they've got older, I can't say i blame them! Hopefully it's just part of Ben being a more mature gentleman x
Ali

Offline Black Beauty & Silverfox

• Miya
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 01:35:06 PM »
Thank you for your replies  :-* I think I will get Ben checked over in case there is something going on. Tried a quick hearing test - OH said 'Ben' very quietly and got progressively louder and Ben did not respond at all. Then he said 'biscuit' so quietly that I could barely hear him and guess what an instant response  :005:  I have avoided doing anything as I wondered if it was just me being slightly paranoid and looking for signs of aging where there are none  ph34r but this weekend we both acknowledged his behavior is different, so a once over at the vet is a good idea.  Thank you again  :luv:

A definite case of selective hearing :005: do hope Ben gets back to his old self soon :luv:

Mel.

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 04:01:54 PM »
Douglas who is 12 today has become more noise sensitive as his hearing is failing (and it definitely is and has been for a year or so). I think the change in a dogs hearing or sight is a possible cause for this sort of behaviour and I would advise a vet check too.

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 08:27:32 PM »
Thanks Mark, I hadn't considered his sight, I will definitely get him checked out. 

I can't believe Douglas is 12, hope he is being spoilt rotten today  :birthday: 

Offline Redked

• Donator
  • Beautiful Bonnie Boo (formerly The Destroyer)
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 10:19:45 PM »
Keep us updated when you see the vet and I hope it puts your minds at rest xxx