Author Topic: Scared of Buzzy things.....!  (Read 763 times)

Offline woodlander

Scared of Buzzy things.....!
« on: June 03, 2013, 03:55:18 PM »
Sweep who will be 6 in September is pretty laid back but in the last couple of days we have noticed she seems to be terrified of flies and basically anything that buzzes in the house.  With the warmer weather it has bought out the buzzers and in the evening if there happens to be a fly or something in the house she will go and sit out in the garden for hours and despite my coaxing its very difficult to get her to come inside even at bedtime.
I am not sure why she is so terrified but I have a feeling that she may have been stung last year but not absolutely sure about that.
Any suggestions as to how we might deal with this problem gratefully received.

Offline sebanelli

• Our gorgeous Harry
Re: Scared of Buzzy things.....!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 04:03:58 PM »
Amber will run and hide if there's a fly or wasp etc in the room. The boys are intrigued (Ollie will try and catch it if he can) but I try and disuade him for obvious reasons. I guess in some ways it's better that they are afraid of them and to leave well alone - Ellie (now long gone) was twice stung by wasps - she looked like Richard Nixon the way her nose swelled up! She was terrified of buzzing things after that.
The Fantastic Four: Oliver, Amber, Dylan, and Harry

Offline fiona2

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 05:11:22 PM »
im with them all the way HATE buzzing insects with a vengeance out with my fly spray

Offline HelenS

• Donator
  • Cupar
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 05:42:58 PM »
Cupar is also scared of anything that buzzes . He will run upstair to his basket if a fly comes into the house. Or come shooting in from the garden if he hears a bee . Dont know why as hes never been stung   :huh: maybe they here the buzz more amplified or something :huh: its the ONLY thing hes afraid of  :005:

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 12:10:26 PM »
We have the opposite problem...Charlie likes to chase them...I found him a month or so ago, in the garden "acting strangely"...I could hear this noise, couldn't find it, or recognise it, Charlie kept looking at his leg, I thought I wonder if a bee is stuck in his long hair....next thing I know...he spits out a giant bee (squashed bee's in mouths make an odd noise)...I kept checking and checking and checking but I don't think he was stung, I think he'd held it too tightly. Both Charlie and bee (minus a leg) were both fine!
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 10:58:53 PM »
Harry stumbled into a wasps nest when we were out on a walk a couple of years ago and was stung many times, and we even found a wasp stuck in his coat a couple of hours after we got home. Understandably he has been very anxious of anything that buzzes since then. We now have fly swatters in every room so they are handy and have a dangly fly thing at the back door to keep as many as possible out.  We try to avoid them if at all possible and if we notice one in the house Harry is lured out of the room ASAP with a treat before he notices it.   I will be watching with interest to see if anyone comes up with good ideas about how to desensitise your Sweep to flies and wasps, it's horrible seeing them so anxious isn't it.

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 11:37:30 PM »
My last cocker, Barney, was terrified of bees and wasps. He got stung once out on a walk and after that was very scared whenever he heard something buzz :'(.

Thankfully Brodie isn't bothered, although she has tried to catch them - thankfully never successfully! (I love bees and wasps ph34r)

Hope someone can offer advice.

x In memory of Barney x

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 02:51:04 AM »
Dot's previously had a moderate anaphylactic reaction to a wasp sting so, with the wasp and bee season on us, all the precautions are in place, just in case.
Antihistamine tabs and gel, Hydrocortisone cream and Ibuprofen tabs are all on the windowsill near the kitchen door. She never wears her rings during the day and there's an electronic insect killer in the kitchen to deal with flying stingy things.
Even so, she insists that any bees are rescued and gently carried outside to be released at the far end of the garden but wasps are fair game for any form of whacking, belting, clouting, smashing and treading on.....Or, if all else fails, running away from.....Quickly :005: while I'm left to administer the coup de grace. ;)
Milly's not too bothered with them, she just stands and watches them buzz round but sometimes moves out of the way if they come too close. She doesn't like crane flies though, chases them and stamps on them when they hit the floor.

Chaz, on the other hand, has a policy of hot pursuit and termination with extreme prejudice....He eats them  :fear2:. Anything less than four feet from the ground is fair game and anything above that height is stalked unremittingly until it either flies into the zapper and disappears with a Bzzzt, comes down within his jump range or flies out through the open kitchen door.
One of these days he's going to get stung if he picks on a wasp or bee but maybe that'll be what it takes for him to learn a lesson. At least the piriton is close at hand.
In the meantime he's amusing himself by laying waste to the local crane fly population and appears every now and then with a wing or a couple of legs dangling down from his mouth :020: chomping away merrily.

Bob.