Author Topic: Tilley training: a very accidental experience of harsh training methods  (Read 2511 times)

Offline Joules

• Administrator
Re: Tilley training: a very accidental experience of harsh training methods
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2013, 08:05:16 PM »
Glad you have found a better training class  :D

I think it is very important that everyone complains about the other people as they sound awful and clearly are not adhering to the positive training methods that they should be in order to be recognised by that organisation  >:D  Goodness knows how many dogs they have damaged in their time  :'(
Julie and Watson

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2013, 08:18:58 PM »
I am going to draft a letter to the ADTB over the weekend.  Their website, which lists the owner of this training school as an aproved instructor states:

"Our Instructors are aware that only kind, motivational methods of training dogs will be tolerated by the ADTB and that any trainer approved by the ADTB would be instantly dismissed from the organisation should any report of harsh handling or cruelty be proven.

ADTB Instructors should not bring the good name of the ADTB into disrepute."

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2013, 12:34:32 PM »
How is Tilley doing now? I hope she is doing better :luv:

x In memory of Barney x

Offline woollypigs

• Look Squirrel !
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2013, 02:02:06 PM »
She is much better now, thank you.

We had a walk to the bigger park nearby, hard work getting there - cats, people, bakers etc. We had her running around loose on a six meter long lead, so we had something to step in if she legged it, within the doggy area. She had a ball for sure, somewhat ok recall in there, when nothing else was around.

On the return we were passed twice by kids on bicycles and she didn't mind at all, which is good because we want to take her cycling. She is now very tired sleeping in the kitchen.

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows
Both halves of woollypigs post from this account - Woolly & Peli :)

Offline jaydee67

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2013, 08:45:43 PM »
Our dog club (new, set up so that dogs were trained the right way) is putting the instructors through the ADTB and the one that is furthest through the training was speaking to this club about doing her final assessment there as it's near her sister. She has found out that she can be assessed in Shetland so doesn't need to go south and is now sending this information to Jenni who runs ADTB instead. This story has gone down like a lead balloon on the dog club FB page - as it should. I hope these people are not 'training' dogs for much longer!

Offline woollypigs

• Look Squirrel !
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2013, 09:58:03 PM »
Thanks all for the support.

A few updates since we wrote the blogpost.

We discovered from our new trainer that she'd been told about other incidents of harsh methods by this club, including a puppy being 'pinned down' to teach it a lesson. Also, my partner said that another class attendee sitting next to her while Tilley was being subjected to the 'corrections' told her not to worry and she regularly used the rattle bottle on her dog when he barked, and that now he's really wary of the bottle - which she said with a laugh.

Also, very sadly, we noticed this evening that Tilley freaked out when my partner swatted a mosquito with a tea towel. The sharp downwards 'swat' movement clearly reminded her of the rattle bottle and she shied away and needed much reassurance. Later, a rattle (accidental of course) from her kibble in the plastic measuring cup also made her jolt. Needless to say, we are sad and angry and determined to follow this up with the club, the relevant associations and our vet (who recommended them).

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2013, 08:35:37 AM »
Very sad that you and Tilley were subjected to that.  I think there are unfortunately many training clubs that advocate such methods.  Tilley is lucky to have found you, as many owners being inexperienced, don't realise the damage that can be done, and do as trainer suggests.  We have a training club nearby, and I took Pip there for a few puppy classes.  They advocate use of the 'pet corrector' if dogs bark (he demoed this on an 8 week old beagle, who happened to be near him barking as excited puppies in a strange environment do  >:().  He also suggested shouting in the puppy 's face if it was nipping.  I ignored much of what he said and stopped going after 3 sessions as I only went to teach Pip focus on me in a distracting environment. However, many owners were first time dog owners and would have no other exposure to dog handling/training. I will also add that this man has an honours degree in animal behaviour and training, and is a member of GODT and CFBA (whatever they are...) I hope your relationship with Tilley goes from strength to strength - you are very obviously caring owners who will do best by her. 
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline woollypigs

• Look Squirrel !
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2013, 04:59:20 PM »
To update this thread, we have written a complaint letter and sent it to the club, copied to our vets (who recommended them), the ADTB and the Kennel Club. We've also asked for our course fee to be refunded.

Tilley is doing pretty well but it has been clear this week that she is much more scared of sharp movements and loud noises than before. Bother. :(

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2013, 05:23:49 PM »
Well done for complaining, really hope you get somewhere with this. Poor Tilley, glad to hear she's doing ok and I do hope she gets over this with time - must be quite horrible to see her get scared :'(

x In memory of Barney x

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2013, 06:31:57 PM »
Glad you have followed it up - it will be very interesting to see what sort of response you get  :-\

Hope Tilly will regain her confidence quickly - just makes you realise what harm these methods can do. :'( Goodness knows how a dog would turn out if it is exposed to these harsh methods for a long period   >:D
Julie and Watson

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2013, 07:59:13 PM »
I have also sent an email to the ADTB to complain.

Offline woollypigs

• Look Squirrel !
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2013, 10:29:48 AM »
We've had a reply from ADTB who seem very concerned indeed. So we now wait for the club's response. 

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2013, 01:05:51 PM »
We've had a reply from ADTB who seem very concerned indeed. So we now wait for the club's response. 

Good, hope they act fast and throw the book at them  >:(
Julie and Watson

Offline woollypigs

• Look Squirrel !
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2013, 01:40:44 PM »
We had a very brief response from the club merely saying that they'd refund our fee. Hopefully they took note of the complaint, too.

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2013, 08:01:09 PM »
Have you heard any more from the ADTB, woollypigs?  I haven't since I had a brief email asking if they could pass my concerns onto the club, which obviously I said they could.