Author Topic: agility  (Read 2065 times)

Offline Olwen

• Donator
agility
« on: February 02, 2014, 06:20:04 PM »
Blod had her first agility session yesterday and seemed to really enjoy. She jumped over 3 (very low) consecutive) jumps, through the tunnel (which she loved, don't they all?) and straight over another jump. She was introduced to the A frame ( didn't backchain it which perhaps we should have) and a low-set dogwalk. She did react a little to the movement of the other dogs practising on other pieces of equipment by a little barking and showing excitement. I'm very keen to avoid this as my collie is very reactive to the movement of other dogs and has to be crated between runs. Any suggestions as how to deal with this with Blod? I practised hand touches and sits and downs and played with tug. It wasn't a big problem but I'm keen to avoid escalation especially as agility is so exciting for the dogs. Blod's nearly 18 months.

Offline CockersIndie

Re: agility
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 02:37:14 PM »
sorry your post seemed to get missed!

indie sometimes reacts to dogs if we stand too close or they 'land' too close to us. She has been lead reactive in the past so i suspect it's that really. but if i were you, i would not stand close to the equipment when you are not working, and ask for alternative behaviours. practise sit and waits for example. or get her focus on you at all times. lots of food!

Offline Olwen

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 08:57:05 PM »
Thanks for your reply. We had our second session today and Blod was much calmer especially with lots of treats to distract and reward. I was probably expecting too much from a first session and panicking a bit because of my VERY noisy collie.

Offline CockersIndie

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 09:28:10 PM »
That's good already! Have you a clicker? You could click-treat when  she's quiet and she will hopefully start to learn hat being quiet is more rewarding! I know indie just gets bored waiting for our turn so I just get her finding treats on the ground, and practise her wait!

Offline Olwen

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 08:53:09 PM »
Thanks. Yes I use a clicker, we go to a dog club where the trainer clicker trains. I'm sure you're right and training various little exercises, especially the wait, while waiting will be the way to go. I love agility, as do the dogs,  it's a shame I'm such a useless handler! We'll never win out of Grade 1 but never mind we still have loads of fun.