Author Topic: Working Cocker eating foreign objects  (Read 2015 times)

Offline Terry24

Working Cocker eating foreign objects
« on: May 15, 2015, 06:20:31 PM »
My 1 year old Cocker has taken to eating all manner of things e.g. woollen glove, plastic glove, fabric specs case, needing a visit to the vet in each case to make him sick - expensive and upsetting.  Today while out with someone else it appears he ate a plastic 'poo bag' full of poo!   That was 8 hours ago and I've only just found out.  So, I guess too late to make him sick but - will it pass through him naturally or will there be serious consequences?
Very worrying!

Offline MillicentWight

• Donator
Re: Working Cocker eating foreign objects
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 02:51:00 PM »
I don't feel qualified to try and give advice but just want to say I am sorry to read you are having such worrying problems and I hope your dog will be ok this time. We have Willow, a seventeen month old cocker spaniel and she has always been a worry with what she picks up and sometimes swallows,  usually cigarette ends, pieces of plastic, rubber, stones etc but nothing really large.
Hope someone can give you reassurance soon.

Offline barnfind

• Inactive
  • Barney
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 03:37:05 PM »
My 1 year old Cocker has taken to eating all manner of things e.g. woollen glove, plastic glove, fabric specs case, needing a visit to the vet in each case to make him sick - expensive and upsetting.  Today while out with someone else it appears he ate a plastic 'poo bag' full of poo!   That was 8 hours ago and I've only just found out.  So, I guess too late to make him sick but - will it pass through him naturally or will there be serious consequences?
Very worrying!

Wow, that's shocking!! From what you say I guess you weren't witness to the recent pooh bag incident? How is he/she getting these objects; when out on walks or in and around your home??

I am no expert but you must get some training/behavioural help to stop this before it really gets out of hand (if it isn't already :shades:) and possibly wearing a muzzle on walks if these objects are found and eaten while running loose, or restricted on a lead.

HTH

Offline Sweepy

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 06:05:52 AM »
Sweep also had a love of fabrics at that age, he used to eat most poo, particularly cat, but has now refined his tastes somewhat. The fabric always passed through him no problem although his poo would sometimes come out like a string of pearls! Rubber toys, rubber gloves etc have all passed quite peacefully through his system over the years. He even ate a pair of suede shoes. He still likes leather in soles, socks and slippers. They do grow out of it after about two years old and tend to chew things up and spit them out instead of actually eating them. Good luck!

Offline tenaille

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 09:58:22 AM »
Beau also thankfully grew out of this after early vet visits for a poo bag and a childs sock removal.
He still pinches and picks up things, but seems to prefer proudly displaying them or taunting me with them rather than swallowing them nowadays. A muzzle for walks was recommended to us at the time, which we duly bought, but never used as he just seemed to grow out of the behaviour.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 12:48:28 PM »
mine do this to a degree as I sometimes find odd things in their poo - for some they will grow out of it and others yes it is a habitual problem
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline zenon_bass

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 02:39:41 PM »
After two years of ignoring it, Millie, at almost 14, has now decided that tortoise poo is the flavour of the month!
She also had a go at grabbing sheep poo yesterday while on lead walking through a field where sheep had been.