Author Topic: working cocker  (Read 618 times)

Offline lilliegez

working cocker
« on: December 09, 2016, 06:11:52 PM »
hi has anyone with a working cocker that pulls on lead ever managed to get them to walk better.  my dog is 3 now and I have tried from day one.  stopping, changing direction, headcollars, harnesses with  d ring on side and front, collar and lead,treats.  I have been persistant and really tried but she still pulls :embarassed:  she does know how to walk well as she will do it in the garden.  any tips or anyone know a good trainer that can help specifically with this in beds/bucks area. >:(

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
Re: working cocker
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 06:25:41 PM »
Afraid to say it took us 3 yrs to get Gemma  to stop pulling on the lead. In the end we had her on a tight lead with a little tug to get her back to our leg combined with the command CLOSE. It sunk in eventually and now she walks nicely along side even when off lead. If she "forgets" and starts to wander the command Close brings her back.
Then on saying that when walking on shoots she pulls still and although a nightmare being towed by her while trying to stay upright crossing the ploughings  >:D    I put that down to enthusiasm  and I can not curb that .

We did use a Canny collar which was a big help especially when we were in crowded  places
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline lilliegez

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 06:41:41 PM »
thanks, my dog walks well at gundog training and if out and off lead but only if she is doing some sort of work.  she has never really liked having a lead or harness on despite trying to make it a positive experience.  she goes out too woodland each day but has to have a bit of leash walking.  I wouldn't mind so much but I know she can do it.  I tried a headcollar but she hates it to the point where she literally wont move with it on so that's not an option.  looks likei will have to continue and hope it clicks oneday :blink:

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 07:01:43 PM »
Try a figure of 8 slip lead - worked a treat with Coral.  Having said that it wasn't just a case of putting the lead on, I spent time rewarding her with treat and encouragement (verbal and hands on reward) when she walked level with me - pulling is not an option with the figure of 8  ;)

She walks to heel on and off the lead very nicely now (22 months) unless she sees something more interesting in the distance then she's just a black blur if off lead........mostly!