Author Topic: How do I get started  (Read 2996 times)

Offline davebunny

How do I get started
« on: December 26, 2020, 08:16:01 PM »
Hi I’ve a 18 month cocker bred from what I’m told excellent working pedigree I don’t work him I got him to walk with I like to walk I’ve already been asked about using him as a stud to which I said it was ok but haven’t heard anything yet but it got me thinking what do I need do I need vet tests or certain examinations from the vets and also if I was to use him to stud more how do I do it and where is the best places to advertise him any help would be much appreciated. Cheers

Offline sueneil

• Site Member
Re: How do I get started
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2021, 05:15:11 PM »
Before even considering using him at stud please ensure he has had all relevant health tests recommended for the breed. It's insufficient to say he's a healthy, fit dog; you should be able to evidence he is clear of any conditions the breed is predisposed to- see the health section on The Cocker Spaniel Club website. I wouldn't let anyone use him on an untested bitch either!

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2021, 05:51:53 PM »
Hi and Welcome to COL

Agree with Sueneil

I suggest your first point of call is to read the threads on this link http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?board=7.0 As there is lots of information here and will be a good starting point into deciding if or not to breed from him   ;)

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2021, 06:02:03 PM »
Sue has summed it up beautifully.  Given how prevalent dog theft is just now, anone interested in my dog, would be kept at a serious distance, scary times.