Author Topic: Looking for a Rescue/Older dog  (Read 3779 times)

Offline octopus

• Site Member
Looking for a Rescue/Older dog
« on: June 02, 2021, 09:32:45 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for an older / adult dog and looking at all the usual rescue sites. However if anyone here hears or knows of a dog looking for an experienced cocker home, I'd be really pleased to hear from you. I have had cockers for 21 years and live in the Midlands. I am an active retired person, and my cockers are my life.
Annie G

Offline annclare

Re: Looking for a Rescue/Older dog
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2021, 12:02:01 PM »
Yes, when you've shared your home with a cocker for many many years it's hard to be without one. I'm in a similar position; I have recently lost my darling girl and both myself and my male cocker (who has never lived as an only day before) are missing her desperately. I've had cockers for over 40 years and whilst obviously couldn't offer a puppy the ideal home, the golden oldies are the ones that pull at my heart stings. Good luck Octopus and please get in touch if you want to chat with me.

Offline AndyB

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2021, 04:22:31 AM »
Have you tried CAESSR, I think they are based in the Stoke area.  There is also a Midlands area English Cocker Spaniel Rescue organisation,  (look on the English Cocker Spaniel Club website), and of course Spaniel Aid, but their rescue dogs could be fostered anywhere in the UK.

Offline octopus

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2021, 06:22:53 AM »
Thanks for your help. Yes, I have tried Caessr and Spaniel aid and a few others too! Most rescues seem to have seen a rise in demand for dogs during the pandemic so there are fewer available, plus i think there is more private rehoming, with people selling dogs on the open market rather than using a rescue, as prices have risen. I will keep looking .....
Annie G

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2021, 07:19:00 PM »
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline octopus

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2021, 08:28:27 PM »
Thank you - no I hadnt seen these 3. I have a 14 yr old girl ( I should have said that in my original post), and would ideally like an active older cocker, but Lopez sounds lovely.
Annie G

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2021, 11:19:15 AM »
You are welcome

Some know the circumstances I am in with Ollie and every day is so very precious.  In black moments I fear he will be my last doggie - my age etc, and his love and devotion to me is second to none, I hope you are able to eventually find a new addition to your family.

Julie

I have sent a message too
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2021, 10:14:30 PM »
I think you may find there are more cockerpoos around than proper cockers. I know someone who was registered with every rescue, and suddenly last week was asked by Doodle Rescue if she would have a cockerpoo,  very spaniel looking apart from the curls.  He’s two  and was kept in a basement flat, shut in a crate for 10 hours a day .  I’m sure the breeder would have been mortified if they knew that their pricey puppy went to a home like this. Luckily he’s absolutely fine. 
Another person I know, recently acquired very young St Bernard from Dogs Trust,  with a minor health issue. No-one else wanted him for three months.
If you want a cocker,  just keep trying and nagging the kennels.  Keep your name on everyone ‘s list .  Good luck!
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline octopus

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2021, 05:37:14 AM »
Thanks for this. I have good news - I have just adopted a 5yr old cocker who is an absolute delight. I have also seen other older cockers since so if anyone else is looking to adopt an older go, dont give up hope.
Annie G

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2021, 09:23:21 AM »
Thanks for this. I have good news - I have just adopted a 5yr old cocker who is an absolute delight. I have also seen other older cockers since so if anyone else is looking to adopt an older go, dont give up hope.

Congratulations on your new family member, hope he/she brings you delight for many years to come  :D
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2021, 10:06:25 AM »

Wonderful!! Congratulations! I hope we‘re going to be hearing more about him/her!  :luv:

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2021, 05:59:08 PM »
Fantastic news.    Waiting is so hard, then it all goes right!
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline theshrew

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2021, 01:28:38 AM »
 :D Happy days

If anyone is looking for a rescue its well worth looking into Spaniel aid, spaniel assist. We got Bailey from Many Tears.

The difference is more than likely the former is more than likely is someone giving up a dog for whatever reason, Many Tears tends to have turnover of ex breeding dogs.

100% if you re home a dog you're a ledged. However do a lot of research and find one that fits what you want.