Author Topic: Food doing my head in  (Read 4891 times)

Offline cazza

• Site Member
Food doing my head in
« on: August 06, 2021, 09:23:56 AM »
Ok so Ash came on beta puppy, I changed her over to Autarky which I fed all my other dogs

We are 3 quarters the way through the first bag and we have formed motion in the morning and then it gets sloppier through out the day - so obviously not suiting her ( she is going at least 5 times a day  :-\ )

Have been doing loads of research and comparison

https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/compare-dog-foods/0057-0325-0254-0594/barking-heads-vs-beta-vs-autarky-vs-harringtons

Have a look at the link above of the comparison of Autarky, barking heads, beta and Harrington’s

Going on that what would you choose? Obviously Autarky is out but added to the comparison so I could see the difference.

Any thoughts much appreciated

No I am not feeding her raw, although she will get some chicken wings etc as treats every now and then once I have her sorted

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Food doing my head in
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2021, 11:10:52 AM »
Great fan of Forthglade wet food for my two, I don't feed dry food so cannot judge the differences between them.

Sorry I know that is not much help - Forthglade do a cold pressed dry food too I think there are two sorts Chicken and duck and both can be fed to pups and dogs over 2 months old.

Have put shortcuts in case any of these interest you:

Another one is Tribal which I did try Branston on but being dry did not suit him - they do wet food too

https://forthglade.com/collections/wet-dog-food

https://www.tribalpetfoods.co.uk/

Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2021, 12:17:37 PM »
Just a thought - I read a newspaper article yesterday about the inclusion of pulses, in particular peas, in dog foods which is being linked to heart conditions. Peas are apparently a cheap filler and often used in grain free foods.
Have no idea if its relevant but just thought it worth a mention,  ;) (Article was in the Guardian, I can copy the link if anyone‘s interested.

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2021, 03:54:29 PM »
Thanks both

We have just bought orijen puppy, so will slowly change onto that and see how we go

Fingers crossed- expensive but as near to raw that I can find

The shop I went to informed that there is a new owner of Autarky so they may have changed the recipe etc

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2021, 03:55:41 PM »
Forthglade use peas, so if there are more than I think necessary in a tray, I lob them out b4 giving the boys their food, didn't know about the heart thing, it was more that they were at one time large and resembled bullets rather than vegetables.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2021, 04:18:03 PM »
Forthglade use peas, so if there are more than I think necessary in a tray, I lob them out b4 giving the boys their food, didn't know about the heart thing, it was more that they were at one time large and resembled bullets rather than vegetables.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/aug/05/us-fda-study-dog-food-canine-heart-disease?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2021, 06:26:14 PM »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/aug/05/us-fda-study-dog-food-canine-heart-disease?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Thanks for the link - will read it sometime

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2021, 09:01:06 PM »
Interesting re the peas. They were one of the major flags that came up when Archie was allergy tested. Soya was the next one. Cutting peas and pea protein out of all his food and treats made a huge difference to his colitis issues. It’s tricky though - they are everywhere!! 

Offline JohnMcL

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2021, 10:58:56 AM »
Hi Cazza,
Does Ash like the Orijen? I’m looking at changing too and am a little baffled with the huge choice.

Thanks.
John

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2021, 12:16:54 PM »
Hi Cazza,
Does Ash like the Orijen? I’m looking at changing too and am a little baffled with the huge choice.

Thanks.
John

Morning John

In answer to your question re if Ash likes Orijen- erm she tries to get in the container when I open it  :005: 

I had both food in bags in the same container and she went straight for the orijen

It is expensive at £40 ish for 6kg bag but IMO worth it and as close to raw feeding I can find

It is suiting Ash a lot better  :D

Offline JohnMcL

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2022, 05:43:06 PM »
Thanks Cazza,
I’ve only just seen your reply, sorry I forgot I’d asked.

Peanut isn’t keen on the kibble I’ve tried but will eat it. I’ve ordered a very small pack of Orijen, the fish one as it was the smallest I can find to trial it.

Is she still liking the Orijen?

John.

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2022, 07:18:50 PM »
Hi John yep Ash is still on it and loves it even as training treats

So I only use cheese or sausage occasionally now for the odd recall, as she loves the food so much

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2022, 08:34:15 PM »
Thanks both

We have just bought orijen puppy, so will slowly change onto that and see how we go

Fingers crossed- expensive but as near to raw that I can find

The shop I went to informed that there is a new owner of Autarky so they may have changed the recipe etc

Came across a brand called McAdams last year and it looked good.  Bought a wee bag to use in the motor home as an alternative to raw. Daisy was picky and prone to a dodgy tummy but this went down a treat.  Not cheap though!  https://mcadamspetfoods.com/en/

Offline JohnMcL

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2022, 09:52:41 PM »
I’m amazed at this food, I bought a really small bag of about 500g for £5.95. It’s Orijen Six Fish.
Peanut is still a fussy eater with kibble, I throw most of it out.
I opened the bag and used it as treats, got a full meal down her from my hand and our poorly girl got up to join in the action! Both dogs sitting next to me taking turns to eat kibble, this hasn’t happened with any other bag of kibble!

Thanks Cazza, I can’t find a 6kg bag for under £55.00 so it’s expensive but she’ll eat it!

EJP - thanks for the info and link, I’ll be looking into it.

John.

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2022, 06:39:15 AM »
Hi John that’s great that she will eat it

I buy 11.5kg original bag at around £73 and it lasts Ash just over 6 weeks and that includes me using it for training so just over £10 per week

The 6 fish one is more expensive https://www.orijenpetfoods.co.uk/product-category/dog-food/