Author Topic: 'Phantom' or Air-Scratching  (Read 2361 times)

Offline Coalman1959

'Phantom' or Air-Scratching
« on: September 15, 2021, 04:18:32 PM »
Hi everybody!  Our 14 yr old Cocker, Archie, has developed an annoying ( for him ) 'phantom itch' that he scratches every 20 seconds or so. Even when he is asleep, his rear legs attempt to rub the side of his rib cage, despite him not having an itch. If I touch his lower spine near to his hips when he is standing, he will air-scratch himself as if he's starting up a motorbike! Also if I stroke his front chest area , this will also bring on an air-scratching bout. But! His feet do not actually touch his skin, it is as if he has a twitch or tick whereby his muscles in both left and right thigh, twitch and make him 'scratch'.  It looks very much like this ( this is springomyelia in King Charles Spaniels )  ...
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDjxvgfUVRU  , please view video from 2.04- 2.34min . 
Apart from this problem he is as healthy as can be, but this twitch is depriving him of sleep and he is a little unhappy.  He is eating and walking ok without any pain.
Any ideas of the cause would be greatly appreciated.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: 'Phantom' or Air-Scratching
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 06:51:29 PM »
Hi! I think there must be some points which trigger this reaction when touched or tickled, my dog does it when I‘m trying to brush the coat and get the tangles out, it drives me balmy as its like he‘s trying to kick me! I actually got quite cross until I realized he couldn‘t help it.
Not really sure what you can do about Archie doing it in his sleep, I can only imagine that he‘s somehow lying on the nerve? Might be worth having a word with the vet though?

Offline Coalman1959

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 09:41:52 PM »
Yup! That was what I was thinking, a nerve problem, thank you.  This idea is possibly borne out  by touching his chest to start a 'kick' reflex.  I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2021, 09:53:49 AM »
I’d suggest he has a back problem from your description.  Cockers are really good at hiding pain.

You may want to have him checked by a Vet who can refer to a canine Chiropractor.

Offline Coalman1959

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2021, 10:37:48 PM »
Thank you for that. It is particularly bad this evening.  I took him for his nightly walk and basically stayed in one area as he was having to scratch every 2 seconds which inhibited his ability to walk at all.  We did finally get home, but it is causing him distress now as he is panting far more than usually despite the chilly night. 

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2021, 02:13:44 PM »
I would definitely be at the vet to get that checked out, it could be nothing, but you need to fine out.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2021, 02:18:18 PM »
Thank you for that. It is particularly bad this evening.  I took him for his nightly walk and basically stayed in one area as he was having to scratch every 2 seconds which inhibited his ability to walk at all.  We did finally get home, but it is causing him distress now as he is panting far more than usually despite the chilly night.

Sorry, didn’t see this yesterday but please,  do  go to your vet! , my boy (6) is currently in the clinic with 2 prolapsed discs which just appeared from one minute to the next.(and after I‘d replied to your post the other day)  Its probably nothing but I‘d hate you to go  through what we‘re currently going through! Best of luck!  :luv: :luv:

Offline Coalman1959

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2021, 02:19:46 PM »
# UPDATE #
So!  Archie had seen a vet 4 weeks ago about a different complaint but we had mentioned this occasional ( at the time ) air scratching.  I rang the vets and told them that I needed to see the vet again because the problem had increased ten fold. Or, if they could prescribe a drug to give him some peace and quite for a while instead of him keep having these back-leg spasms.  The vet gave him 16mg tabs ( 1/2 a tab twice a day for three days and then 1/2 tab for 10 days ) of Apoquel .  Apparently they are in his system within 4hrs. after taking them.  If we say he was 'scratching' 100 times a day ( probably 4x that amount! ) 4 days later. he is now down to 3 to 4 times a day! A MASSIVE difference!  If I 'tickle' his sweet-spot, he will 'scratch' but apart from that he is back to normal !
This drug is for irritation and allergies, but whatever, it has worked a treat on old Archie!! I just thought that I would let you all know.  Thank you.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2021, 04:30:15 PM »
So glad to read that Archie is on something to help
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2021, 06:25:31 PM »
That‘s great news! (Sorry if I panicked you!  :shades:) So glad its nothing more serious!  :luv:

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2021, 08:23:35 PM »
That is great news, and a big relief.  Glad to hear that.

Offline Coalman1959

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2021, 02:42:34 PM »
Well, Archie has been relatively free from his 'air scratching' and we are coming to the last of his tablets, Apoquel. He will have the last tomorrow morning, Saturday. It will be interesting to see if he starts again by Sunday...... which he may.  I will then contact Vets4Pets and possibly ask for just a written prescription for these tabs and then buy them off a reputable distributer on line.  They are £1.55 per tablet ( we get two days from 1 tablet ).  I will ask Vets4Pets how much they would charge.....
I will update asap.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2021, 08:50:49 PM »
It would be good to hear how you get on, I will keep an eye out for an update.

Offline Coalman1959

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2021, 11:24:36 AM »
##UPDATE##
So! After a chat with the Vets4Pets fellow, it was agreed that they would offer 4 months supply ( 28 x 16mg tabs ) on the prescription but only give me 1 prescription for 1 month at a time. That was Ok. The cost for the whole 4 months 'written' prescriptions was the agreed, £17 for ALL the 4 months.
However, we are now three weeks past his last Apoquel tablet and so far , so good.... very, very little air-scratching and no distress at all.  I have had no need to appraoch the Vet for any tablets due to Archie's wellbeing, but we know that he has that remedy 'in the bank' if we ever need it again.  He had his 14th birthday at the end of September and is really well and still RUNS us to the first tree to have a sniff when we take him out. All good!! 😁

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2021, 08:21:01 PM »
That update makes me very happy, so pleased for you.