Author Topic: Toileting on Crate Rest - Help!  (Read 1126 times)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Toileting on Crate Rest - Help!
« on: September 30, 2021, 07:16:32 PM »
Hi, as already posted, Humphrey‘s currently in Crate Rest after an operation for prolapsed discs. We‘ve been back and forth to the vets all week trying to get his tummy sorted he‘s been alternating between bloody diarrhea and constipation which I suspect has a lot to do with stress, medication and change in routine. He‘s always let us know when he needs to go outside by just sitting at the door but he can’t do that at the moment obviously, doesn‘t want to mess in his crate (at least that’s what I imagine as he hasn’t done one in there once) and so we‘ve been carrying him to the garden but we have to support his back legs so that he can stand (we loop a towel around his tummy) but he’s not supposed to walk around and it just isn’t working!
Has anyone had any similar experience or got any tips as to how I can help him please? He‘s been having infusions to stop the bleeding and I‘ve been giving him chicken and rice and loads to drink but he hasn’t  had a proper stool since we brought him home last week. I shall speak to the vet again tomorrow, no doubt he‘ll be able to prescribe something to relieve the current constipation but if he‘s going to be immobile for the next few months (at least), I‘m not sure how to deal with it long term. He has no control over his waterworks at all, but we‘re managing that and as long as its „flowing“ I‘m not overly concerned at this point but the poo is more of a problem. 
We‘re determined to do all we can to get him mobile again and the prognosis is good but the issue with his toileting has been more of a worry than hIs immobility this week  and we‘ve already had to cancel two physio appointments.
Would be interested to hear others experiences with crate rest. Many Thanks   :luv:

Offline ips

Re: Toileting on Crate Rest - Help!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2021, 08:01:14 PM »
What a shame for the poor chap, can't offer any advice but my thought are with you 👍
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2021, 09:04:41 PM »
Thanks Ian,  :luv: - How are you doing now? On the mend I hope!

Offline ips

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2021, 09:44:04 PM »
Yes on the mend thank you, but it's a long haul 👍
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2021, 10:04:00 PM »
Oh that is a quandary.  I would agree with you, that he doesn't want to mess in his crate.  When he was a puppy, did he use puppy pads?  Just wondering if he would use them again if they were directly outside the crate.  I am struggling to offer any real help.  Again, like you say, his tummy has had a rough time, and things aren't moving as they should either.  I really wish I could help.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2021, 09:37:13 AM »
No advice I'm afraid, there was one thing I thought of though, I think Humphrey was on raw food before this all flared up, I wonder if the rice in his new diet is causing the constipation? I only say this because when mine were fed rice it made their motions a lot bigger and if this is the case with Humph it could be it is making his bigger and more uncomfortable to pass.

Also when one of mine was on steroids (not sure if Humph is) and finding it difficult to 'go' I found a little drop of semi-skimmed milk in his water help ease things along.

Sending cyber hugs for you all  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.