Author Topic: Ollie low residue food query - firm up output  (Read 3709 times)

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
Ollie low residue food query - firm up output
« on: October 12, 2021, 11:36:59 AM »
I am really struggling with what is best for Ollie, he has always had a mix of dry and wet food along with flaked white fish and boiled rice twice daily.  Learned ages ago that he cant tolerate potato or even chicken.  He also has a dessert spoon plain Bio Yogurt daily.

He has been having loose stools which are becoming harder to clear.  My old faithful Dorwest Bark(slippery elm) is not working and YuDigest sachets help but after a week of use it returns and this is followed by the Yudigest tabs.  The vets prescribed Pooch & Mutt - Bionic Biotic and I really struggled to get him back under control after using this.

I do not want to be graphic but the first seems ok then shortly after !!!

Some will know Ollie is 13 and on prednisolone for growth - I have also been reducing his steriods to lower dose.  So basically there could be all sorts going on with my boy - I spoke with Vet as I wondered if the reduction of pred was a factor and seem to think not.

I have been looking at Canagan Dog Scottish Salmon - which I could add his flaked fish too - I am wondering if this will slow down his inner working etc and he may digest better, honestly I need any views or ideas, I am really struggling...he is coping well with his meds - put I hate to see him like this - we are so strict with him and his food like with most cockers was his pleasure.

P.S  I have canned unsweetened pumpkin - but confused by it read it helps with the runs but also when bunged up.....it's a nightmare :shades:
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Ollie low residue food query - firm up output
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2021, 12:39:41 PM »
Would some wet food with natural ground bone help do you think? when Minstrel was having probs quite a few years ago now, my vet suggested edible bonemeal to firm things up and it did work (almost too well-but easily sorted by cutting amount given)

Naturediet wet food has an amount of ground bone in it

I feel for you  :huh: it is frustrating and upsetting when you cannot find the right solution  :bigarmhug:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2021, 02:06:09 PM »
Um

The wet food is Natures Deli....swapped to this from Natures Diet when they altered packaging and there salmon content was reduced.  Pound for pound really it's the same.

Will have a look edible bone meal maybe to add.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2021, 04:58:01 PM »
Oh dear, you have my total sympathy, we’re struggling with exactly the same at the moment, slippery elm hasn‘t worked, I tried pumpkin last week and that didn‘t help, we‘re now on a biotic thing from the vet but up until now its not made a lot of difference. Bonemeal has been recommended  to me as well. so I‘ll get some tomorrow and see how we go.
The vet also recommended psyllium husks, no idea if you can get them in UK, I think they work a bit like bran but are milder, they soak the excess liquid and make the stool bulkier..... might be worth asking at the health food shop? I‘ll keep you posted if I come up with something that works! 😉
 :bigarmhug: to you and Ollie!  :luv:

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2021, 07:15:46 PM »
Nothing to add other than the psyllium husk can be picked up in Holland & Barret for humans.  A dog version can be found here, courtesy of Google.
https://www.vetsend.co.uk/puur-psyllium/

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2021, 09:00:20 PM »
Yep have heard of it it is Fybogel that us humans have now and again - UK tends to say ispaghula husk and the US says pysyllium.  First came across it on the Aktins diet :005: me thinks it might open the flood gates so to speak ;)

Have looked at bone meal on line and just not sure, am trying the unsweetened pumpkin with some brown rice added to his food...I think I maybe have been given a too high protein diet!  So introducing these first.

Naturreines Knochenmeile by Grau is the main bone meal that comes up when you google over here - so me thinks Humph may be trying that.

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2021, 06:55:21 AM »
So sorry to hear, I know only too well about soft being so difficult to pick up

I put Ash on orijen food - did wonders for her, it’s grain free and they don’t just do chicken versions - expensive at around £78 for a big bag

Hope you find something that works for you x x

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2021, 09:34:32 AM »
Hi again Julie! Another tip I had this week is Luvos Heilerde, I‘ve been given Humphrey a tiny bit sprinkled garden over his dinner (along with husks, the biotic powder and the smashed pumpkin!  :lol2: ) and we finally got a normal poo this morning without any slime!, (It was unfortunately in his crate, he still gas a bit of difficulty controlling everything but hey ho, - can‘t have everything!!  :005:)
https://www.pharmasana.co.uk/luvos-heilerde-ultrafein-750-g-05039403

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2021, 11:40:03 AM »
Jayne many thanks for this and glad to know Humph is back to a normal poo :005:

I have just read up and would you believe it - started Ollie on a new pro/prebiotic on Thursday and it has Montmorillonite in it which is a form of clay....and it is starting to work after just two doses.  So I guess we are both on the same track with the clay

What I bought was called Tummytonic  https://www.aviform.co.uk/tummytonic-digestive-supplement-for-dogs/  so it seems to have most of the essentials in it.

Take care and a big gentle hug to Humph from me and Ollie.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2021, 01:18:19 PM »
Just realized the link I sent you doesn‘t have an English description !  ph34r  But it is, as you say  a form of clay which is is a very very old natural therapy used both internally and externally for wounds and injuries etc.
Oh isn‘t it a relief when the poos are proper? !!  :005: :005:
Humph‘ and me send  :bigarmhug: back to you and Ollie!  :luv: