Author Topic: Hairy tongue!  (Read 1130 times)

Offline Georgina

Hairy tongue!
« on: October 23, 2021, 12:33:25 PM »
Looking for some advice for my 6 year old cocker spaniel Cosmo and his hairy tounge!
The issue first started earlier this year when he had exceptionally bad breath , was swallowing all the time for no apparent reason and was constantly rubbing his face on the floor. Trip to the vets resulted in him being sedated for a teeth clean along with an investigation into what could be causing  the smell which turned out to be hairs growing out of his tounge that had become infected. 🤢 The vet removed these, the smell was gone and he seemed back to his usual self. However 6 months down the line he has started rubbing his face again so I took him to the vets but he wasn’t particularly keen on letting them look in his mouth! I have been able to have a look and can see what looks like black hairs down the middle of his tongue.
My question is have any of your cocker spaniels experienced this as my vet seemed quite surprised and like this wasn’t a common thing? Would also be interested to know if anyone has any tips on how to treat this without him having to be sedated at the vets every 6 months (assuming they just keep coming back that is)?

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
Re: Hairy tongue!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2021, 02:18:55 PM »
Pearl had a single black hair on / in her tongue.  I think its more common that I’d realised.  The Vet pulled it out on one visit and as far as I’m aware it didn’t come back.  That must have been around 3 years old.

The question has been asked on here before  ;)  http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=39272.0

Offline Georgina

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2021, 02:28:57 PM »
Thank you, I’ve had a read of the previous post and think I’ll leave it for now. It just worries me that it may be causing discomfort for him, if only they could talk! 😉

Offline ips

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2021, 07:22:12 PM »
Hairy tongue 🙄🙄 well it's a new one on me 🙄
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.