Author Topic: Show cocker - types of cut  (Read 2645 times)

Offline dc

Show cocker - types of cut
« on: June 12, 2022, 09:20:37 PM »
I'm looking to get our first dog/puppy and have been busy researching cockers.

I think the temperament of the show type may be a better fit for us. We were fortunate to go to a local game fair and see how the different dog types compare. Admittedly there were more working varieties.

Regarding grooming, how often do you take your show cockers to the groomers and what are the typical costs?

Can a show cocker be cut short, e.g. clipped to look like when it's a puppy? I can't find many examples of people doing this. Is this advisable as I've read that clipping could ruin their coat.

Many thanks

Offline phoenix

• Donator
Re: Show cocker - types of cut
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2022, 03:16:37 PM »
It’s difficult to advise a first time owner on what breed of dog would suit them.  Most people on the forum are here because they may have had problems!  A working cocker would certainly be too much of a handful for a first dog in my opinion.  Any working breed has hard wired instincts that are impossible to change,because that’s what they were bred to do.
Most show cockers are delightful,  very intelligent and very active.
Mine needed a trip to a groomer every six weeks at pricing between £30 upwards.   He had a very thick shiny coat, which he wouldn’t let me do.  The feet and ears get  very muddy or sandy and must be well trimmed inside and out.    If you ask a groomer to do a puppy cut, they should keep it cut more shaggily, but you need to ask round, because so many of them do a quick all over clip, to owners’ horror. It is hard to find a hand stripper  person because it takes hours and therefore is expensive. Also it is hard work on groomers fingers. I used to use a cutting rake called the Mars Coat King which thins hair out. 
 You can use a clipper yourself and  choose the length of coat you like with the different attachments.  I do this with my poodle cross,  naturally scruffy.     There is a  guide  on the  Grooming section which gives all the numbers for doing legs, back , tums and feet.
My dogs hair did not change texture, but he wasn’t neutered.  When shiny hair grows after clipping, it’s like a crew cut,   not a blend of long and short hairs, so it’s bound to look less natural.
Good luck with search.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline dc

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2022, 09:03:00 AM »
Hi Phoenix,

Thanks for the feedback.
That's really helpful in knowing how often and how much for grooming, as this will help with budgeting.

I understand what you mean regarding different groomers and clipping, my mum has a cockerpoo and had it butchered by a local groomer, you could see the clipper lines and looked horrid. Fortunately grown back now.

Offline clare.olivia

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2022, 12:59:55 PM »
We live in London so our cut is £65-85 for either groom (1hr) or hand-stripping (2hrs)  :lol2: (we should really move out of this city!) But we have had some pretty terrible experiences. With so many doodles around I find my show cocker, Cú sometimes gets a similar treatment - not shaving but certainly cutting off his beautiful feathering despite my asking otherwise. I suggest finding a spaniel specific groomer to help if you can.

I've started to groom myself but it can be tricky depending on the coat. Typically the darker their colour the thicker the coat so a tan coat would likely be easier to manage than a black coat. Cú is tri-colour so a mix of white, dark brown and tan to make things complicated and has two white legs and two brown legs with VERY asymmetrical coat thickness!

As for trimming it all the way down to puppy length (although puppy coat is very different to adult coat!), I'm not a huge fan of it because it can disturb the natural body temp regulation that their double coat manages but we know a lot of owners who choose to do so for the summer and many of the cockers are quite happy for it!

Also, sorry for the long post, but I would say even a show cocker is quite the handful for a first time owner... or maybe I got a particularly energetic/cheeky one... but if you stick with it they are the most amazing buddies. I wouldn't change a thing about mine and he's completely converted me from Boxers to spaniels (although I still love a boxer!)

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2022, 06:34:42 PM »
Does that one hour grooming include the bath and blow dry??   That’s much faster than we ever had.  I wouldn’t go to a groomer who used a cage drier.  Nasty accidents have happened.
The other problem I had was finding a groomer who didn’t have a production line of dogs waiting in cages. It gets really noisy and dogs aren’t given the fuss that a solo groomer can do. I found one eventually who could calm the most angry or frightened dog.  She had done a dog psychology and behaviour course, and practically hypnotised them, talking softly  with them . Sadly, she’s gone to Hollywood!
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline clare.olivia

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2022, 10:02:51 AM »
Does that one hour grooming include the bath and blow dry??   That’s much faster than we ever had.  I wouldn’t go to a groomer who used a cage drier.  Nasty accidents have happened.
The other problem I had was finding a groomer who didn’t have a production line of dogs waiting in cages. It gets really noisy and dogs aren’t given the fuss that a solo groomer can do. I found one eventually who could calm the most angry or frightened dog.  She had done a dog psychology and behaviour course, and practically hypnotised them, talking softly  with them . Sadly, she’s gone to Hollywood!

Yes, bath and blow dry with minimal cut (just trimming) - sometimes goes over an hour depending. I would never let Cú go to a groomer who uses a cage drier... ever.
The groomer we've used also doesn't use kennels so no being stuck anywhere during it. Agreed that is a stressful and unpleasant experience for the dogs.