Author Topic: Hello everyone!  (Read 5840 times)

Offline MonkeyPatch

Hello everyone!
« on: July 20, 2023, 09:21:43 AM »
Hello!

I'm a long time reader but new member and wanted to introduce myself.  Always had Spaniels (Springers & Cockers) - currently have a 2 year old working Cocker bitch who is the love and bane of my existence!

Her name is Bramble and she's the first one I'm doing 'serious' training with to be a gun dog. Showing great promise and I'm really enjoying learning alongside her <3

Looking forward to being more active on this forum  :blink:

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
Re: Hello everyone!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2023, 11:51:40 AM »
Hi and welcome
I lost my wcs beginning of July. She was our first spangle and home trained on the whistle and to flush with us on the beating line. She would retrieve but as she was small and lightweight she struggled to carry home. If looking for a bit of advice, we questioned everyone /trainers/keepers etc, then took that knowledge and worked on it in a way that suited us. Taking a bit here and a bit there .   Even if your dog is not going to work, gundog trading would still be beneficial.   We proved with our beautiful Gemma you can have a working pet. Gemma loved her "job" but she was a couch slouch at heart 🐾🐾
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline MonkeyPatch

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2023, 03:20:51 PM »
Thanks for the welcome!

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's the absolute worst part about having them.

We lost our previous Springer and Cocker in 2020/2021, both at the ripe age of 15.  They were 'okay' at general flushing and picking up but admittedly I never really put my heart nor head into their training, hence why I'm taking this one seriously! It's so rewarding to see her progression (and of course experience the frustrating moments too!).

She's been introduced very slowly to the shooting field and she's keen and eager so this summer has been spent bringing her on carefully and ready for September.  I'm lucky to have guidance from one of our neighbours who is super experienced in Spaniel training.

I have no intentions of creating a field trial champion as she is really a much loved working pet (who knows her place on the sofa!)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2023, 06:45:18 AM »
Hi and welcome!
COL is a great forum, there‘s a good mix of workers, show and a few inbetweens  :lol2: on here but we‘re all cocker lovers at heart with a variety of experience between us so there’s always some advice or shared frustration or sympathy on almost anything cockerish from someone or other ;)
My boy is show line,  we‘re members of a dog sport club and take part in all sorts of activities so he‘s a sort of Jack  Humphrey of all trades but master of none but we‘ll have a go at anything not too strenuous. :lol2:
Whatever role they play in our lives, they‘re an enrichment and as you rightly say, every achievement is wonderfully rewarding.
Looking forward to hearing more about Bramble (and ofcourse pictures and videos are always very welcome!  ;)
xx Jayne !

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2023, 08:16:43 AM »
Hello

I have a Minstrel (10 years) who is of mixed parentage show/worker but never did any field/gundog training but is a kind loveable (if a little noisy) critter. He has long legs for a cocker which I must admit is handy when on muddy walks   ;)

Rupert (7 months) is a westie X poodle and just a bundle of fur, fun and naughtiness.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2023, 08:35:29 PM »
Welcome  to the forum, I absolutely love that description, it sums them up perfectly.