Author Topic: Billy - End Of My Tether  (Read 6787 times)

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
Billy - End Of My Tether
« on: September 12, 2005, 09:38:04 PM »
I have a new dog in my life, same body, same name, same colour just different personality and i don't like him one bit. His name was once Billy but now its  Bad boy Billy.

We suspect (according to telephone consultation with behaviourist) that Billy has a dominance issue with me which has resulted in growling recently. We had an appointment next week with behaviourist but things have suddenly gone worse much much worse  :( . The behaviourist warned me that Billy if felt confident enough may decide to step it up ie he may move from growling to biting and to be careful.  She has proved to be so right  :(

Saturday i walked him, fed him, took him to the groomers, played with him, cleaned and washed all his bed/bedding, gave him a treat, his favourite bakers type chewy bone. After he had eaten it he was sat in the lounge in the sit position looking so beautiful and cute, i went to stroke him when right out of the blue he jumped and bit me , he bit me on my stomach. Slight puncture and about inch of bruising. there was no warning, no growl nothing I was mortified. :(

Yesterday he starred at me and growled a few times and somehow made me feel very very uncomfortable in my own home.

Tonight usual routine with Billy. I shouted "dinner time" he came into the kitchen all excited, i put his dinner down on the floor walked away, looked at him and he went all nasty, starring,  growling but this time i could not walk away he had me cornered, he was getting ready to pounce on me. I managed to get away from him by picking up his plastic bed and putting it in front of me whilst i got away from him. I slammed the kitchen door shut and he is still in there i am too frightened to let him out. I rang the behaviourist in tears and have managed to  get an app for this Wednesday, i have to travel a lot further but i am at the end of my tether now. I am frightened to be alone with him, i can't cuddle up to him anymore for fear of what he will do . When he bit my stomach it could easily have been my face as many many times we sit in front of the fire together.

I feel gutted totally gutted that i no longer have the dog i once had. I can't trust him and don't enjoy his company.

The behaviourist is confident we can sort him out, she said it will be a tough new road for Billy but it will work.

We are going away to wales for the weekend on Friday with Billy too and now i really really don't want to go but its all paid for. The behaviourist said he is to have no fuss, no cuddles and no special treatment this weekend and no eye contact.  

Don't get me wrong, i don't want rid of him or anything, we will deal with the problem what ever it is or how ever long it takes or costs but for the moment this is just a horrid horrid time and don't know why he is doing this  :(  :( .

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Billy - End Of My Tether
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 09:43:11 PM »
I am so sorry to hear this Jan - I hope that the behaviourist can help you work through Billys problems  :(

How have you both got on with the NILIF techniques? Did you see any improvement in his behaviour at all?
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline louisamoss

• Site Member
  • Holly and Bella
Billy - End Of My Tether
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 09:47:37 PM »
Gosh Jan, I really feel for you. It must be really horrible.

I don't have any advice except just try to stay positive. I'm sure things will get better after your time with the behavourist.

Let us know how you get on,

Take Care

Louisaxx :)

Offline tiggerbabe

• Site Member
    • BusyPaws Dogwalking & Pet Care
Billy - End Of My Tether
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 09:48:26 PM »
Oh Jan, how awful this must be for you  :(

I can't imagine anything worse than being afraid in your own home, and even worse, afraid of your dog in your own home.

I hope your meeting on Wednesday helps to shed some light on why he is behaving this way.

Me and Sophie are thinking of you just now  :(
Aileen & Beau xx

Chasing your tail gets you nowhere ... 'cept back to where you started

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
Billy - End Of My Tether
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 09:53:50 PM »
I haven't done much to be honest as I wanted to wait until i saw the behaviourist. i was concerned that i may make things worse by following one route for her to then come along and take us on a different route, if that makes sense??

I have been making him do things before giving him a treat, even if it is just sit and paw etc i don't just give him a treat he has to do something. If he paws me for attention i have left it a bit longer before i give him any but thats about it.

Penny mentioned a place in bath, if i have no luck with this behaviourist (I am quite confident i will as she sounds very confident on the phone) then i will try there. I will do anything to put this right. Thats if there is anything left of me by the time Billy has had his chunks out of me  :(

Offline miche

• Site Member
    • http://mwcooling.co.uk
Billy - End Of My Tether
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2005, 09:55:47 PM »
How awful for you, it sounds really upsetting.  

I hope you and Billy sort things out very soon.
Love Michele, Mikey and Herbiexx

Offline lyn

• Site Member
Billy - End Of My Tether
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2005, 09:55:51 PM »
sorry to hear you are going through such an awful time with billy.i hope all goes well on wed and you get on ok till then

Offline tiggerbabe

• Site Member
    • BusyPaws Dogwalking & Pet Care
Billy - End Of My Tether
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2005, 09:56:08 PM »
Thats if there is anything left of me by the time Billy has had his chunks out of me 

:ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:
Aileen & Beau xx

Chasing your tail gets you nowhere ... 'cept back to where you started

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
Billy - End Of My Tether
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2005, 10:00:29 PM »
Thats if there is anything left of me by the time Billy has had his chunks out of me 

:ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:
[snapback]145634[/snapback]

I know! I should stop feeling sorry for myself.

I have just let him out of the kitchen and totally totally ignored him like the behaviourist said. He knows i am upset with him and is sat by my side crying. He is pawing my arm like mad, i have scratches, he is desperate for my attention now. I have to ignore him though.

He was got the message and is lying down in the lounge. phew!!!

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Billy - End Of My Tether
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2005, 10:04:17 PM »
:( Jan I am soo sorry to hear this, I really feel for you, it must be incredibly difficult for you to ignore him like that, I hope the behaviourist and you can work things out with Billy and that his behaviour improves soon.  In the meantime, we are all here with listening ears and lots of support :)

((hug))

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Billy - End Of My Tether
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2005, 10:08:13 PM »
You have had your confidence knocked, so its understandable you are bewildered and confused - we all know that you want what's best for Billy.

I honestly do not believe you would do any harm by introducing some simple techniques to help regain your confidence -  make him sit before you put his dinner bowl on the floor, or before you open a door for him to go out, put his lead on, throw a ball etc

If you are concerned about conflicting with the behaviourists methods then you might not want to remove permissions such as being allowed on furniture or on the bed, but personally I would remove these as well - but then I have seen the effectiveness of this technique in action; I appreciate I am asking you to take my word for it  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
Billy - End Of My Tether
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2005, 10:42:55 PM »
You have had your confidence knocked, so its understandable you are bewildered and confused - we all know that you want what's best for Billy.

I honestly do not believe you would do any harm by introducing some simple techniques to help regain your confidence -  make him sit before you put his dinner bowl on the floor, or before you open a door for him to go out, put his lead on, throw a ball etc

If you are concerned about conflicting with the behaviourists methods then you might not want to remove permissions such as being allowed on furniture or on the bed, but personally I would remove these as well - but then I have seen the effectiveness of this technique in action; I appreciate I am asking you to take my word for it  ;)
[snapback]145640[/snapback]

Hi Rachel,

I will try these extra bits, like you say I suppose thinking about it i can't really do any harm can I? . I will take your word for it, I know you always give sound advice  ;)

Billy isn't usually allowed on any of the furniture but the past couple of months we have been allowing him to come on the sofa, i love cuddling up with him whilst we watch tv and he loves it too. He falls asleep on my lap whilst i tickle his belly. i suppose this may all have contributed to his cocky behaviour and was never such a good idea.  :unsure:

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
Billy - End Of My Tether
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2005, 11:03:33 PM »
This has made me really sad  :(  I really feel for you Jan, you can get a real sense of how upset you are from you're posts.

I hope things improve for you and Billy when you both meet with the behaviourist and like Emma said we are all here for support and a shoulder when you feel the need to have one.  :)
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline Annette

• Site Member
Billy - End Of My Tether
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2005, 11:11:28 PM »
Oh Jan, that sounds so awful. I do hope that you can get it all sorted real soon, or at least an improvement.

Do let us know how you get on.

Offline winewood

• Donator
  • Now in Italy
Billy - End Of My Tether
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2005, 11:48:45 PM »
How sad it must be awful my thoughts and wishes for a speedy solution and happy family. :D  Not wanting to hijack thread but it seems like males are more dominate than the females is this true :huh:  and is he desexed only asking as would love to get a male companion for my Indi. My thoughts would be to get a male desexed asap would this help to prevent a situation like this
Owned and trained by two mad cockers