Author Topic: Billy - End Of My Tether  (Read 6788 times)

Offline paddys mum

• Site Member
Billy - End Of My Tether
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2005, 10:14:00 PM »
Had completely missed this thread  :(
I'm so sorry to hear the trouble you've been having it must be an awful situation to be in  :( At least things seem to be getting better, they just take time.
Your confidence will return, Paddy tried something similiar when he was about 8 months old, I can completely understand how you feel.
At least you have a plan, now you're half way there  :) Good Luck!
Nicola, Grace & Paddy xxx

Offline macduck

• Site Member
Billy - End Of My Tether
« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2005, 10:16:29 PM »
Hi Jan,

So sorry to hear about your current situation with Billy.

We had similar experiences with Busby, our solid black cocker. We got him when he was 20 months old and for the first few weeks everything was fine. Then suddenly he bit my husband's hand when he bent down to pick something from the floor. His hand was severely lacerated. This was the first and mildest of several attacks. We spoke to our vet after each incident and were referred to the nearby Vet College and we all went to see a dog psychologist and behaviourist. Like you we were given a programme of behaviour modification which we followed carefully. There was some improvement but Busby still growled if told to do anything he didn't want to do.

On one occasion he jumped up and bit my husband's arm and as he tried to get out of the room to get a towel to stem the blood flow Busby kept jumping up and snapping at him. After this incident we called Cocker rescue for help and were told that Busby should be PTS. We did not want this to happen so we went to another vet for advice.  He told us that he had experienced this level of aggressive dog behaviour and that castration could be the solution. Busby was castrated last November and within days the change in behaviour was remarkable.

As I write this Busby is curled up on my husband's lap. His coat is no longer as silky as it was but to us that is a small price for the wonderful dog that we now have.  Obviously castration is not a decision to take lightly and will not work for all situations. Apologies for the length of this post but I felt it was important to share our experience.  Wishing you every success with Billy.

Best wishes, Macduck, Busby and Buster

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
Billy - End Of My Tether
« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2005, 04:47:50 PM »
Hi all,

Things are going well, very well although i know its very early days and must not become too excited.  

We have been away to Wales for 4 days this weekend and Billy was superbly behaved  :huh: .  I have continued with the rules as usual and am feeling much more confident although not confident enough yet to stroke his head. I have cut out all of the rubbish from his diet too, he does appear to be calmer.

I am not sure why he has been so good this weekend. Maybe its the reduction in additives from his diet, maybe its the long walks and outdoor life he has led these past 4 days. He did receive around 4 walks a day for a duration of around 5 hours each day in total so maybe he was just worn out and too tired to be naughty or take me on!! Or maybe he is luring me into a false sense of security and is storing up his next attack  :ph34r: . I just don't know.

Anyway I am awaiting my report from the behaviourist to arrive in the post, once it does i am going to the vets to discuss castration  ( she is sending a copy of the report to my vet too).

Many thanks for all your advice and support, i really do not know what i would have done otherwise.

I have some wonderful pictures which i will post as soon as I can  ;)

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Billy - End Of My Tether
« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2005, 05:11:07 PM »
:D Glad you had a nice time and that he seems to have calmed a little, long may it continue :)

Looking forward to seeing the pictures :D