Author Topic: I Have A Confession....  (Read 16156 times)

Penel

I Have A Confession....
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2006, 05:23:30 PM »
You also need Omega 6 - and pref 9 too  :)    :P

Offline hawkins

• Site Member
I Have A Confession....
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2006, 06:54:07 PM »
I've switched to BARFing (with a lot of help from Penel, Thank you once again :D )

Baxter has turned from a dog who wasn't really into his food (it would take him about 3 hours to eat his breakfast), with bad poo problems to one who can't get enough of his food and has lovely poo (I cannot believe I'm discussion poo :lol: )

At first I was mixing his kibble with natures menu pouches... then I thought 'what I'm I doing... why don't I just go full BARF?' so I did.... I won't turn back!!!

It's taken me a little while to get used to get breakfast out to defrost at tea time and get tea out at breakfast....... but there's always a handy tin a pilchards in the cupboard  :P

Even the OH coping now.....

Still getting quanties right and still watch him like a hawk when he's eating bones. I also have started batch freezing veg and fruit blocks.... much easier.

Have made the mistake of adding some left over sweetcorn to his mince :lol: .... I'll leave that one to your imagination... lets just say I don't go round scrutinising  Baxters poo..... you just couldn't help noticing it  :lol:  :lol:  :blink:

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
I Have A Confession....
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2006, 06:58:06 PM »
You also need Omega 6 - and pref 9 too  :)    :P
[snapback]180404[/snapback]

Thanks Penel - I've done some more reading and will use Sunflower Oil for the Omega-6 , and I have begun to add nuts to his bowl which have got Omega-9  :rolleyes:

Is there anything else I am missing??
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
I Have A Confession....
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2006, 06:54:21 PM »
IIYSWIM 
[snapback]180389[/snapback]

What does this mean? I keep seeing it on threads, at first i thought it was a big spelling mistake  :lol:

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
I Have A Confession....
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2006, 06:59:25 PM »
IIYSWIM 

What does this mean? I keep seeing it on threads, at first i thought it was a big spelling mistake  :lol:
[snapback]180802[/snapback]

If You See What I Mean
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Penel

I Have A Confession....
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2006, 07:16:29 PM »
Have a look here there is some info about EFA's near the bottom.  Personally I wouldn't use sunflower oil, I only use Evening Primrose oil and Salmon oil with occasional cod liver oil - I don't think sunflower oil is high enough quality.
You should join the Britbarf group  :)
http://www.naturespet.com/barfsupplements.html

Re the nuts, I'm not sure if you have to grind them in order for him to digest them ?  I used to grind flaxseed (sesame) myself, in a coffee bean grinder - but it was too much like hard work !!!  :lol:

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
I Have A Confession....
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2006, 07:47:02 PM »
Have a look here there is some info about EFA's near the bottom.  Personally I wouldn't use sunflower oil, I only use Evening Primrose oil and Salmon oil with occasional cod liver oil - I don't think sunflower oil is high enough quality.
You should join the Britbarf group  :)

Re the nuts, I'm not sure if you have to grind them in order for him to digest them ?  I used to grind flaxseed (sesame) myself, in a coffee bean grinder - but it was too much like hard work !!!  :lol:
[snapback]180821[/snapback]

Thanks Penel - still learning  :)

I will definitely sign up for the BritBarf group - I have been looking for a good Raw Food forum - the one on the UK Barf Club site is really quiet  ;)  :ph34r:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Penel

I Have A Confession....
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2006, 08:06:04 PM »
It's a Yahoo group sorry forgot to say that - there are some really great people on there. :)

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
I Have A Confession....
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2006, 09:37:16 PM »
IIYSWIM 

[snapback]180802[/snapback]

If You See What I Mean
[snapback]180806[/snapback]

Thanks Gill  :D

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
I Have A Confession....
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2006, 10:31:35 PM »
You also need Omega 6 - and pref 9 too  :)    :P
[snapback]180404[/snapback]

Penel - would this help with dry skin??  We have been to the vet today to get stiches removed and the vet said Daisy had dry skin :(   He thinks it may be the central heating.
Sarah & The Roan Rangers - Daisy Dog & Dill Boy

The average dog has one request to all humankind. Love me

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
I Have A Confession....
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2006, 10:36:02 PM »
Have a look here there is some info about EFA's near the bottom.  Personally I wouldn't use sunflower oil, I only use Evening Primrose oil and Salmon oil with occasional cod liver oil - I don't think sunflower oil is high enough quality.
You should join the Britbarf group  :)

Re the nuts, I'm not sure if you have to grind them in order for him to digest them ?  I used to grind flaxseed (sesame) myself, in a coffee bean grinder - but it was too much like hard work !!!  :lol:
[snapback]180821[/snapback]

I grind all the nuts and mix them in with the veg I blitz and freeze.

Offline workingcockers

• Site Member
    • http://www.workingcockers.co.uk
I Have A Confession....
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2006, 10:55:00 PM »
Britbarf Yahoo group is great - Im a barfer who went conventional during my litters end 2004 - probably silly but scared dam would transfer salmonella from chicken wings to baby pups. Dont know if that possible or not but at 7 weeks in whelp back to dry food so all dogs went back. I have noticed though that everyones teeth are really tartaring up so Im back I reckon 70% on barf. I just have to start whizzing veg etc in liquidiser and freezing again, and then get a big order of wings and mince in from redcastle, Dundee and back in business.

re rabbits - emm, my setter helped himself to a few when out the other day = we wont say too much about the incident but whats the chances of him being wormy from whole rabbits? I had done a mass worm of everyone a few weeks back and now thinking Ill have to get 4 Drontal tabs in just for him (he's a big heavy boy!!)
Kirsten Strachan
Lorne Working Cockers

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
I Have A Confession....
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2006, 11:15:18 PM »
Bella's been on raw food for about 2 months now - I'd recommend the Britbarf email group as you can get alot of helpful info from that. I'm still settling down with her diet - at the moment she gets a meat meal in the mornings (I either give Nature's Menu, or mince from the butcher that I add a spoonful of blended veg to - I make up 100g portions in advance and freeze them), then in the evenings a meaty bone - have just got brave enough to try chicken wings again, she's also getting fresh rabbit and had her first lamb breast last week.

I supplement with Dorwest's Keeper's Mix (which has kelp and alfalfa amongst other things), and alternate with salmon oil and cod liver oil (which has added Vit E). Bella did have a bit of dry skin after her spaying etc so that's why I upped the fish oil and it's much improved now (only 5 days since I upped it).

I'm a real worrier with bones so I'm bashing up the chicken wings and rabbit, and hanging onto the lamb breast ribs to make sure she chews them - she is a major gulper! I give non-weight bearing, meaty beef bones to clean her teeth but am hoping to try some pork ribs or something this week - alot of people advise against beef bone because it's too hard - so far no problems with Bella as she doesn't actually eat much of the bone (what she does is teeny weeny chips) and doesn't try to bite on the bone itself, it's more scraping at it to get every last bit of meat off.

I also add an egg to Bella's meals once or twice a week, and garlic 4 or 5 times. She seems really well on it - she'd had recurrent ear and eye infections before and since switching to raw has had none of these at all, ears as clean as a whistle (even the vet's impressed!) and no sore eyes at all. Her anal glands seem to be improving - alot less scooting and rather than them just getting more and more full and painful, they will express themselves (not with words or music, obviously  :P ) when full if she licks at them, which I'm taking to mean that they are starting to work a bit more like they should, they're definitely not causing her pain any more, she used to kind of whimper and scoot, now she just does the occasional scoot and occasionally empties them herself - I'm hoping if we up the bone quantity a little bit more that it will sort them out for good.

Bella's 9kg and I've been working on the 3% bodyweight per day for her food but she's put on 200g so I'm putting it down to 2% and probably going to put her onto one meal a day, as otherwise she only gets a mouthful of food at each meal.

Good luck with the new diet!
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
I Have A Confession....
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2006, 12:28:21 PM »
Claire - where do you get the salmon oil from and how do you get the garlic in the diet - is it fresh crushed garlic or powder or granuals or what???  Sorry if this sounds really thick - but not sure about all this - have ordered the keepers mix from dorwest though :)
Sarah & The Roan Rangers - Daisy Dog & Dill Boy

The average dog has one request to all humankind. Love me

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
I Have A Confession....
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2006, 01:08:04 PM »
Claire - where do you get the salmon oil from and how do you get the garlic in the diet - is it fresh crushed garlic or powder or granuals or what??? 
[snapback]181531[/snapback]

I got the salmon oil here - you can probably get it from Holland and Barrett or something though. With the garlic I either just chop a small amount (maybe quarter of a clove) up and mix it with her food, or if I'm blending up some veg I add a bit of garlic to that. Bella doesn't seem to mind it either way, to be honest the food barely touches the sides of her mouth so she's not too fussy.  :D  

Theories seem to vary on supplements needed, I'm only 2 months into this with Bella so still finding my feet with it. I only started adding the oils as a few people on Britbarf had mentioned it and Bella had developed a bit of dry skin which is now disappearing - not sure if the condition was part of her having had quite a big surgical procedure and then being confined very unhappily to a puppy pen for 2 weeks and getting very stressed out, or whether it was due to a lack of something in her diet, but either way it seems to have cleared up now. I think you probably just get to know the needs of your dog as you go along and then adjust the diet accordingly, some things will suit some dogs and not others. :)
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk