Author Topic: Bailey and his terrible recall - again  (Read 5388 times)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: Bailey and his terrible recall - again
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2006, 06:39:31 PM »
Rachel, does it differ from trainer to trainer, we were always taught in basic obiedience classes to call them in to our feet so infront of us, we didn't progress to calling them to our sides until we were in advanced classes working on and off leads.

I was refering to obedience competition in my post - I think its what works for you if you're not planning on competing, tbh  ::)
Molo has been known to hurtle back to me when called and collapse in a "down" at my feet chewing his ball; I'm not to too worried tbh as long as I can get his lead on  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2006, 06:45:03 PM »
Rachel, does it differ from trainer to trainer, we were always taught in basic obiedience classes to call them in to our feet so infront of us, we didn't progress to calling them to our sides until we were in advanced classes working on and off leads.

I was refering to obedience competition in my post - I think its what works for you if you're not planning on competing, tbh  ::)
Molo has been known to hurtle back to me when called and collapse in a "down" at my feet chewing his ball; I'm not to too worried tbh as long as I can get his lead on  ;)

:laugh: :laugh: I'm picturing the scene!!! :laugh: :laugh:

Yeah that makes sense because for competing we had to have covered the advanced training! I'd have felt awful if I'd told her the wrong thing!

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2006, 07:04:33 PM »
Miche, you know I was saying about Bella and her similar squirrel problem - I've been using a clicker lately as although my "Bella Squirrel!!!" thing works to get her to come in the right direction (towards me) it doesn't get her close enough to put on the lead. So what I'm doing at the moment is that if she is in the middle of a squirrel fest but happens to come anywhere near me, I click - to begin with I had to click 3-4 times in quick succession and that was enough to get her to come to me for her reward. She's now a bit better, one click usually does the trick. I'm not trying it when she's actually at the quivering wreck (in sight of a squirrel) stage, just when she's running from tree to tree looking for them. But it is definitely improving things.

In fact in the park today (admittedly no squirrels but as I've said she'll happily spend an hour looking for them) she got bored of looking for them and actually started doing completely unprompted offlead healing, looking up at me to see if she'd get a click and treat (which she most definitely did!). Obviously it's not squirrel season at the moment but she's still obsessed, she is constantly on the lookout and if she sees one on the whole walk that is ALL she thinks about, no playing with other dogs - she'll actually go and sit off on her own to be able to pay proper attention to potential furry grey creatures.  ::) And she's normally a very sociable girl!

So a clicker might help although I know you've said he's not food motivated, whereas Bella definitely is. But if you maybe combined the feathery toy idea with a clicker then you might be onto something....?
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline Rosie

• Site Member
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2006, 01:30:05 PM »
Only just really seen this and have nothing much to add except - hang on in there and there is nothing better than a long line.

Although not a cocker spaniel - we have just come through the other end of a non existant recall with my husband's kelpie.  With her we were not fighting the urge to birds but her nature to herd.  If I could even get her back near me she would then circle me - never quite getting close enough for me to reach and if I tried to grab jumping back 2 - 3 paces. If she got out the house se would just run - wait to be chased and then outrun and herd all the neighbours trying to get her inside!

She would have me in tears - angry / frustrated and made me feel like I was no good with my dogs if I could not control her.

Miah still is not really into food or or toys and we had to find her button - working.  Training her and making her think and work out what we wanted (whilst always on a long line).  We trained her to "close" (come in by the left side"), side ("come in by the right side") - fantastic for agility. 

What also helped was her hitting 10 months and starting training in agility - her greatest reward was to be allowed to work - get it right and get her parise and play (finally with toys).   With Miah it was frustration and using her brain the wrong way.

I know it is nottcase with Bailey but what everyone else has said is true - you need to find the key and keep going.  Keep your chin up it will get better.  2 weeks ago I finally took her out off the long line and had 100% recall - there is no better feeling - perhaps made evn more sweeter by the fact you have worked so hard for it.

Sorry - rambling - but reading through your posts made me feel like I had to say something.

Rosie & 4 naughty cockers plus one!