Author Topic: starting trying a bit of BARF  (Read 4945 times)

Offline Rachel B

• Site Member
  • Look at me!!!!
starting trying a bit of BARF
« on: March 20, 2006, 01:52:48 PM »
Last week barney started rubbing his bum on the carpet - really yucky i know!  This morning i have read that this could be to do with anal glands starting to become an issue - i am hoping it was just that i was a little late with his worming tablet (which he has now had).  His poo is pretty firm and nicely sausage shape at the moment so looks failry healthy.

We are feeding him burns and are about to start trying the adult varieties.  Barney loves it and i think he is looking good because of it so i want to stick with it.

However, so many of you seem to recommend chicken wings so i have thought i might give him one of those and see how he gets on with it as an extra to his burns meals.  Being an anxious parent i am a littel worried about:

- can you pass on salmonella to dogs? 
 - what if he swallows it and starts choking?
 - is he likely to get diorrhea when we first give them to him until his body gets used to it?

We also give him a small raw hide chew each day - should we stop this if we want to try giving him chicken wings?

Rachel & James and a waggly tail from Mr Barningham

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Re: starting trying a bit of BARF
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 05:34:41 PM »
If you just want to give the chicken wings to keep the anal glands clear - then once or twice a week will be fine. I usually give Alfie them when we have roast chicken, I just snip them off before I roast the chicken, giving him one then and there and saving the other till the next day. Giving two tends to make his poo a bit too firm and its painful for him to pass.Its trial and error really, what works for one wont work for another, some dogs become constipated, others get the trotts

If Barney has finished teething then he will manage a wing no problem. If his baby teeth are still there then bash it up with a rolling pin first. Some owners like to keep hold of one end if their pups are gulpers. Never leave a pup unattnded with a wing or rawhide - just in case.

As for salmonella, Im certain that Ive read of dogs getting it BUT to be honest Id be more worried about getting it myself - hence I feed wings in the garden. If you know your chicken is from a good supplyer then you should have no problems - I buy organic, which is why Alfie only gets wings when we have chicken ourselves
Caroline and Alfie

Offline Rachel B

• Site Member
  • Look at me!!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 11:30:25 AM »
Barney loved his first chicken wing :)

I was so nervous when he was eating it but he was in paradise!  No need to bash it either - his teeth crunched through the bone no problem!

Offline The Woolys

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 02:11:07 PM »
I'm being stupid here, but what is BARF?    ph34r

Offline Rachel B

• Site Member
  • Look at me!!!!
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 03:16:34 PM »
I'm being stupid here, but what is BARF?    ph34r

I think it stands for Bones And Raw Food.  Quite a few people online feed their dogs by this regime.  It involves only feeding raw meat, bones and vegetables and cereals rather than prepared dog foods.  it can have some real benefits and if you search teh forum there are loads of posts about it.

Barney loved his chicken wing, but i don't think we will convert him to be a BARFer ;)

Offline flozac

• Inactive
  • I must be even madder!!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2006, 07:34:20 PM »
I have just started BARF with my 2. Floss seems to really like it Zac seems to be a bit confused by it. He has been fed on dried food all of his life so it must be a bit unusual for him. Floss is only 7mts so everything is still new to her and she isn't phased by it at all.

I just find it really difficult to get fresh meaty bones and suitable cuts of meat. Chicken wings are easily obtained. I managed to get some lamb hearts today so I will try those. They love whole eggs and seem to be enjoyng the veggies. Has anyone got any suggestions where i can get proper meaty things for them. I have used the prepared frozen stuff from P at H but I would prefer fresh stuff.
Nicola,Zac,Jess,Floss,Scout,Ciara and baby Reiver

Offline miche

• Site Member
    • http://mwcooling.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006, 05:56:59 PM »
I have just started BARF with my 2. Floss seems to really like it Zac seems to be a bit confused by it. He has been fed on dried food all of his life so it must be a bit unusual for him. Floss is only 7mts so everything is still new to her and she isn't phased by it at all.

I just find it really difficult to get fresh meaty bones and suitable cuts of meat. Chicken wings are easily obtained. I managed to get some lamb hearts today so I will try those. They love whole eggs and seem to be enjoyng the veggies. Has anyone got any suggestions where i can get proper meaty things for them. I have used the prepared frozen stuff from P at H but I would prefer fresh stuff.

The only place I can think of really is a butcher who would be able to provide you with what you are looking for.  I got my two lovely bones in Tetbury and if you can find a butcher like him then you are in luck.  Might take a visit there this weekend actually - would send you some but I don't think Mr Postman would be to impressed :lol:
Love Michele, Mikey and Herbiexx