Author Topic: Why does she hide this toy?  (Read 1070 times)

Offline Xensgirl

• Site Member
Why does she hide this toy?
« on: March 26, 2006, 01:11:17 PM »
NO shes not behaving badly - though Rio has her moments!!! Theres one thing that puzzles me though - shes hides one particular toy - a small cuddly unicorn, which was mine and she took a liking to. 

As soon as its in her mouth, shes off - its been under the bed, behind the sofa, you name it -  and if I watch her hiding it she moves it somewhere else!! She goes back to the hiding place, just to check its still there, nudges it with her nose and will either leave it or take it elsewhere to hide.  Weird!!  I could understand if she was hiding food, but shes not.

Its quite endearing to see actually - anyone know why she does this? Never had a dog do this before ...........

Offline Terri Carpenter

• Site Member
Re: Why does she hide this toy?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 03:09:43 PM »
Holly hides her fav toy - Piglet - which was mine.

Think it's just a crazy cocker thing :005:

Offline MaxG

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 04:39:57 PM »
Yep - it's a cocker thing - Max does it with several of his stuffed toys - often cries & whimpers as he's hiding them & then goes back to move them to somewhere else before he's happy - oddball - bless him!!  :005: Having said that, he's also been known to do it with pizzles & bonio biccies - ??!!
from Kath & 'Mad Max' !!

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 07:49:10 PM »
Bailey does this every night.  It's either his cuddly puppy or cuddly chicken  ::) Every night after his tea and just before he goes to bed.  Always does the crying whimpering thing, goes all around the house looking for somewhere to put it, then lays it down and settles straight away  :-\

Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline Xensgirl

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 04:24:01 PM »

Thanks for the replies!! I am pleased to know that I'm not the only one with a potty cocker ......!!!

Offline claire northmore

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 05:07:54 PM »
Its amazing how Cockers are with soft toys.  Poppy my eldest of 18months loves her soft rabbit it goes everywhere with her and she won't let Daisy our baby cocker of 8 months play with it, any other toys she will share but not this one.  Poppy sleeps on it, snuggles it, rests her head on it - bless her.  Daisy on the other hand not fussed about toys never has been.

Offline denisec

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 06:03:10 PM »
he's also been known to do it with pizzles & bonio biccies - ??!!

Ghillie does the whimpering and runs around for ages with her bonio biccies.  Just this morning OH said to me I don't know why you give her these biccies as she doesn't eat them.  But she does, he just found the one that she probably hid last night  :005:

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2006, 08:15:44 PM »
Lottie only does this with rawhide chews, wimpering as she hunts for the perfect hiding place.  It never is perfect though as within a couple of minutes she's picked it up to hide elsewhere, corners being the favourite place ;)
Mary & Lottie x

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2006, 09:02:41 PM »
Jazz is the same.

She normally hides it behind the sofa cushion. Its funny, she is very gentle, and does it very softly. sometimes all we see is her bum sticking out of the cushions as she pushes it down.

She gets very confused if we move it and put it in a different position..  :005:

There have been times we have sat on the sofa and she sits crying and crying, until we get up, then she can get it back.

CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2006, 11:14:42 PM »
Hi, it looks as though it's a common thing so probably just regular behaviour however my Jack Russel used to do this, like the toy was her baby.
She picked up the little toy (it also made a noise when pressed) one time just before her season. She would carry it around and hide it and become aggressive when anyone went near it. It got to the point we had to take it off her. Since then, if ever she found it, saw it or heard it, she would go mad, right back to the previous behaviour. Generally she was never terratorial or maternal.
This is probably a totally different thing (she wasn't a Cocker) but just thought i'd mention it in case, the agression wasn't too bad but I imagine if she had been teased with the toy it would have been.
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo