Author Topic: Bouncing off the walls  (Read 981 times)

Offline Kimberley

• Site Member
Bouncing off the walls
« on: February 11, 2007, 07:36:07 PM »
Any suggestions for this one? everytime Coco gets a inclination he's going somewhere he literally bouncing off the walls. At the moment I've tried a very low key attitude when getting  his lead but I think its an excitement issue, but its not as if he only goes out a few times, he's walked 20 minutes of a morning before I go to work, I come home lunchtime and he's played with in the garden then two walks in the evening. If I take him in the car to my mom's he spends mosto of the visit in her garden.
Kim is owned by Coco, Breeze the Cockers and Charlie the (failed foster)Cavi

Offline Mollie.Ladie

• Site Member
  • Mmmm I love cockers!
Re: Bouncing off the walls
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 10:03:29 PM »
Wow..well its definitely just excitement but I think hes going overboard with it! Try to make him sit when getting the lead out and praising him & praising him & giving him treats.  Make sure he stays sitting though.  This may help..I hope it does!! good luck  :D
Mollie&Christina

*Love at first sight.!

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 10:08:42 PM »
Lots of false starts should solve this  ;)

Repeatedly get ready as if you were going to go out, and then -  don't go  :o

Coco has identified cues in your behaviour and actions that indicate that you are going to take him out, and you need to break these these associations, by using them when you are not going out  ;)
It should then be possible for you to introduce a new set of cues - that involve him sitting nicely for his lead/harness/coat to be put on  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 10:18:38 PM »
Lots of false starts should solve this  ;)

Repeatedly get ready as if you were going to go out, and then -  don't go  :o

Coco has identified cues in your behaviour and actions that indicate that you are going to take him out, and you need to break these these associations, by using them when you are not going out  ;)
It should then be possible for you to introduce a new set of cues - that involve him sitting nicely for his lead/harness/coat to be put on  ;)

Have to agree with this.  Many a time when Ben was younger I couldn't keep him still to put the lead on.  After getting ready for a walk with him doing the 'wall of death' I ended up taking my coat off, putting the lead way and sitting down.  He looked so confused for the first few days but he did learn that messing about got him nowhere  :005:  He still gets that look when I'm getting ready for a walk but will sit (even if he's trembling with exitement) and won't move until the lead is on.

Offline Kimberley

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 11:08:14 PM »
Thanks for the advice will start in the morning.  I will let you know of the reaction.

Thanks again..

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007, 11:11:54 PM »
Thanks for the advice will start in the morning.  I will let you know of the reaction.

Thanks again..

Expect it to take a few days or even a couple of weeks to have an effect - but stick with it  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline kate.s

• Site Member
    • Ghost Tours UK
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007, 11:30:01 PM »
I was advised to wear the lead around my waist and walk round the house with it. Pick it up, put it down etc so they don't get as excited when I pick the leads up to take them out
Love Kate and Sam xxx

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 10:05:49 AM »
What sort of diet is Coco on? Some diets can make them hyperactive.

Vera
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline Kimberley

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 10:51:40 AM »
He's on Burns, would like to get him onto barf, my other dog was. Coco didn't have a very good start, His mother was 11 years old, the owners thought it was another phantom pregnancy! his was fed on Adult Pal and biscuits. At 4 months old he hadn't been vaccinated so its be a little of an up hill struggle, I time and patience on my side and prepared to try anything.

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 11:30:08 AM »
Burns shouldn't normally be a problem, but might still be worth changing onto a different additive free food. One of our lurchers goes loopy and hyper when he eats animal products like cheese, eggs or meat... So your dog might react to something that dogs don't normally.

Other than that, it could just be a training issue. All our dogs wait patiently to have their leads put on. If they don't, they won't get the lead put on as I'll just wait and wait and wait... until they calm down. They soon clock on to that and don't go mad anymore at all.

Vera
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk