Author Topic: Square peg, round hole  (Read 8365 times)

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
Re: Square peg, round hole
« Reply #75 on: April 22, 2007, 08:41:22 PM »
This is fabulous news  :D . Also now you have made sure there is no physical reason for Molly's behaviour you can concentrate properly on her behavioural responses.
How is your vet with the recent diagnoses and developments? Weren't  they advocating you having Molly pts at one stage because they decided she must have an untreatable and undiagnosed spinal problem :-\ ?
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #76 on: April 22, 2007, 09:02:54 PM »
YAY Molly, Tim and Jo! :shades:
Made my day too, I may get to shake paws with her after all! :005:
I am sooooo pleased for you! :D

Mark

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #77 on: April 22, 2007, 09:42:46 PM »
 ;) THAT is wonderful news ! I'm so pleased for you  :lol:  :D and for Mark ;)

keep up the good work    Jann :luv:

Penel

« Reply #78 on: April 22, 2007, 09:50:02 PM »
That is great news.
As an aside, and  a possible help to you - I taught a dog to put it's own head through a slip lead last summer.  She was one of those dogs that hates having her collar and lead put on, so I clicker trained her to put her head through the slip - really easy, only took minutes - just a suggestion that I thought might help you - although obviously you'd need to be sure she wasn't going to back out of a slip - depends where you walk them. And then you could leave her collar on permanently for id purposes.

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2007, 12:01:25 AM »
I'm so pleased for you all  :D  Well done for all your hard work, committment and effort with her, I am sure you will be rewarded in spades ;)
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline scooby's mum

• Site Member
  • Scooby & Misty's Mum
« Reply #80 on: April 25, 2007, 06:01:31 PM »
I love Billy & although I will never judge anyone on the decisions they make, I will never give him up, ever because instead I control HIS  environment. Providng people who enter Billy environment do as I say they won't get bitten, ignore me and there is a chance they will.

Billy is Billy, he can't be changed now so I do have to manage him he is what he is.

Oh Jan, you made me cry reading this - you are loving him as he is, warts and all  ;)

And great news about Molly - sounds like you're getting there with her  :D
Love Joanne, Misty & Scooby

Offline debrand

• Site Member
  • My angels Barney 2004-08 and Jet 2005-09
« Reply #81 on: April 25, 2007, 08:02:06 PM »
I would hesitate to generalise and link 'rage' with epilepsy.  I think this is a misconception by ill informed people.

Having a personal interest in this subject and researched it on behalf of a family member, I believe that only a minority of people with temporal lobe epilepsy experience episodes of abnormal aggression.

I have witnessed epilepsy in several people and dogs (including one of my own) and have never seen any aggression.

I had never heard this before. Barney has epilepsy but has never shown any signs of aggression at all. He did bite my son during his first ever seizure (he was 6 months old) but it was not a bad bite and my teenage son didn't realise he was having a seizure and went to see what was wrong with him. He is never even the slightest bit aggressive coming out of a seizure although he is frightened and confused.

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #82 on: April 26, 2007, 12:53:35 AM »
I would hesitate to generalise and link 'rage' with epilepsy.  I think this is a misconception by ill informed people.

Having a personal interest in this subject and researched it on behalf of a family member, I believe that only a minority of people with temporal lobe epilepsy experience episodes of abnormal aggression.

I have witnessed epilepsy in several people and dogs (including one of my own) and have never seen any aggression.

I had never heard this before. Barney has epilepsy but has never shown any signs of aggression at all. He did bite my son during his first ever seizure (he was 6 months old) but it was not a bad bite and my teenage son didn't realise he was having a seizure and went to see what was wrong with him. He is never even the slightest bit aggressive coming out of a seizure although he is frightened and confused.

It is not at all to imply that dogs that have epilepsy have rage, or even any aggression problems, nor will they develop it as a consequence of their epilepsy.

What I was trying to say, (badly, I'm afraid  :-\) is that in my own observations, having witnessed Springer Spaniels in a true rage "avalanche" is that it appears to be like a seizure, in that the dogs did not appear to be at all conscious of what they were doing, both during and after the episode, and appeared dazed in a similar manner to a seizure afterwards. There is some research that rage may originate in the temporal lobe, which is also where seizures originate.

The term "rage" gets thrown around quite easily with dogs with behaviour and aggression  problems, and my point was that rage is an alltogether different thing entirely, with certain benchmarks that separate it from "dogs behaving badly", and has  an organic cause.

I did not mean to alarm anyone who owns a dog with seizures. The two, rage and seizures do not go hand in hand, and I would not worry about an epileptic dog developing rage at all. Sorry for any misunderstandings    :embarassed:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline debrand

• Site Member
  • My angels Barney 2004-08 and Jet 2005-09
« Reply #83 on: April 26, 2007, 05:58:17 AM »
Ok. I get it now. Thanks.

Dragon I've been following this post with interest. I wish you all the best with Molly. Whatever happens no-one can ever say you didn't do your best for her. It is really good to see that she seems to be responding to all the hard work and love you are putting in.