Author Topic: Behaviour issues with cockers  (Read 8768 times)

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Re: Behaviour issues with cockers
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2007, 09:59:22 PM »

I'm not sure, but I know if I had read the more recent behaviour threads, combined with the Battersea Dogs Home review of the breed when I was researching breeds, then I probably wouldn't have a cocker spaniel  ph34r

From the Battersea Dog's Home review of the Cocker...

"Few dogs are as pleasant, affectionate and attractive as the Cocker Spaniel. He is also highly adaptable and, while preferring the outdoors, will happily forage around the house retrieving all sorts of things - slippers, socks and toys. With his lively intelligence and sense of mischief, the Cocker makes a wonderful addition to the family."

Gawd, they sound really scary !  :lol:

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2007, 10:02:02 PM »
Mod hat off for this one!

I seriously hand on heart think a lot of people on this forum must have a different breed of dog to me  :-\ I don't find mind challenging, bossy, manipulative or aggressive in ANY way shape or form. Yes they are DOGS! they do what dogs do....sometimes they even bark AND sometimes they are naughty...shock horror  :o ::) BUT tell me one breed of dog that is 100% perfect!
Any new person visiting this forum must have a rather bleak opinion of this wonderful breed and I find that really sad  :'( Visit ANY dog forum and any of the topics of discussion I am sure will be very similar if not the SAME as the ones talked about on here, please let's not make any of these discussions EXCLUSIVE to Cockers because they are NOT!

Wot she said!!! :005: :005: Ditto all the above ;)

Apart from the hat bit :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

funny then that you agreed with me earlier today that cocker bitches can be bossy and manipulative  ;) ;) ;)

Ahh but I think all bitches are like that not just cockers ;) :005: Certainly all the ones I have ever come across ;) ;) ;) Bitches to me are a different kettle of fish to dogs totally ;)

I did agree with you because Nancy can be a bossy monkey, but I don't find it challenging, some people might :-\, which is why I agreed with Gilly too ;)

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2007, 10:02:43 PM »
I totally agree that dogs are dogs and should be treated as such but sometimes they do have issues that have to be dealt with - for example while I don't mind letting Alfie roll in all the fox poo he wants, jump in every muddy puddle he comes across, pull on the lead and bark like a thing possessed at the doorbell I cannot allow him to chase livestock and this is a problem he has. Similarly there are other issues that people have that can't really be ignored or tolerated and I think that people need to be able to post about these without fear of 'upsetting' others  :-\ However as I said in my first post this is not a cocker thing, all breeds and crossbreeds of dog can have behaviour issues.

Part of the reason I posted Alfie's training update last week was because I felt like I had posted more about his bad points re. the chasing than the many good things he does. I've said before, even if he never makes a working dog I will still adore him, be very proud of him and be very lucky to have him which is really how I think that all of us on COL feel about our cockers.

Nicola...exactly who have you upset? certainly not me  ;) No one is saying that Dogs CAN'T have problems or for that matter that people can't post about them, there would be no need for a forum otherwise.  As a forum we are here to help each other.

I didn't say that I had upset anyone but on the first page of this post GoldenGirl says that she has been very upset by some posts made by experienced members recently which is what I was referring to.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2007, 10:04:17 PM »
Mod hat off for this one!

I seriously hand on heart think a lot of people on this forum must have a different breed of dog to me  :-\ I don't find mind challenging, bossy, manipulative or aggressive in ANY way shape or form. Yes they are DOGS! they do what dogs do....sometimes they even bark AND sometimes they are naughty...shock horror  :o ::) BUT tell me one breed of dog that is 100% perfect!
Any new person visiting this forum must have a rather bleak opinion of this wonderful breed and I find that really sad  :'( Visit ANY dog forum and any of the topics of discussion I am sure will be very similar if not the SAME as the ones talked about on here, please let's not make any of these discussions EXCLUSIVE to Cockers because they are NOT!

Wot she said!!! :005: :005: Ditto all the above ;)

Apart from the hat bit :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

funny then that you agreed with me earlier today that cocker bitches can be bossy and manipulative  ;) ;) ;)

so nothing surprises me anymore !

Bitches of any breed can be bossy or manipulative and if nothing surprises you Penny then llisten to this.
I was asked by an client yesterday that because she had a pedigree dog did she need to feed pedigree chum dog food? :005:
I nearly fell about laughing before I realised that she was deadly serious ;)

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2007, 10:05:50 PM »

I was asked by an client yesterday that because she had a pedigree dog did she need to feed pedigree chum dog food? :005:

:rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1:  Oh my days!!!  Thanks for that Mark, thats a classic, and has made me feel like I know what i'm talking about now :lol: :lol:

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2007, 10:05:50 PM »

I'm not sure, but I know if I had read the more recent behaviour threads, combined with the Battersea Dogs Home review of the breed when I was researching breeds, then I probably wouldn't have a cocker spaniel  ph34r

From the Battersea Dog's Home review of the Cocker...

"Few dogs are as pleasant, affectionate and attractive as the Cocker Spaniel. He is also highly adaptable and, while preferring the outdoors, will happily forage around the house retrieving all sorts of things - slippers, socks and toys. With his lively intelligence and sense of mischief, the Cocker makes a wonderful addition to the family."

Gawd, they sound really scary !  :lol:

:lol: :lol: Point taken  :lol: :lol:

I was thinking of the page they posted on their website a few months ago about cocker spaniels they were looking to rehome - fortunately, since then, they must have rehomed their cockers, as the page has been removed  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Penel

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2007, 10:07:46 PM »
ohh nooo Lisa, not all bitches are like that at all !!!  have you met my Lola, a sweeter more soppy girl you couldn't wish to live with....not a bossy manipulative bone in her body  :luv:

Mark, my name's Penel, not Penny  >:( :lol: well actually it's Penelope, but now I'm just being pedantic  ph34r

:lol: to the person thinking they have to feed Pedigree though  ::)

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2007, 10:10:03 PM »
ohh nooo Lisa, not all bitches are like that at all !!!  have you met my Lola, a sweeter more soppy girl you couldn't wish to live with....not a bossy manipulative bone in her body  :luv:

Mark, my name's Penel, not Penny  >:( :lol: well actually it's Penelope, but now I'm just being pedantic  ph34r

:lol: to the person thinking they have to feed Pedigree though  ::)
I'm soooooo sorry Penelope or should that be Penel :lol: ;)

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2007, 10:13:30 PM »

:005: well I have to say Penel it is good to know that because whenever people say to me "oh dogs are much harder work than bitches" I think who are you trying to kid :005: :005: but then I only have "tricky mickey" bitches to go by! Lola will have to show me the error of my ways  :luv: :005: :005:

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2007, 10:14:30 PM »
ohh nooo Lisa, not all bitches are like that at all !!!  have you met my Lola, a sweeter more soppy girl you couldn't wish to live with....not a bossy manipulative bone in her body  :luv:

no, but plenty of oestrogen to lure my innocent spaniel into norty ways :rofl1:
helen & jarvis x

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2007, 10:19:00 PM »
II think that people need to be able to post about these without fear of 'upsetting' others  :-\ However as I said in my first post this is not a cocker thing, all breeds and crossbreeds of dog can have behaviour issues.

Yes exactly!!!!  :D

I won't deny that when I have posted asking for advice about some of Billys more serious issues that I've not thought to myself that some of the dedicated breeder/show people would be tutting at my post and saying amongst themselves "oh bloody hell here she somes again bad marking our breed etc" although no one has actually said it I do feel it, but I know that's probably me just being paranoid  ;)

Billy has lots of good qualities ,sometimes on here I do feel I sell him short,  i absolutely adore him  :luv: but they don't get posted on here because I don't need advice about his good bits, just his not so good bits  :D

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2007, 10:19:47 PM »
I totally agree that dogs are dogs and should be treated as such but sometimes they do have issues that have to be dealt with - for example while I don't mind letting Alfie roll in all the fox poo he wants, jump in every muddy puddle he comes across, pull on the lead and bark like a thing possessed at the doorbell I cannot allow him to chase livestock and this is a problem he has. Similarly there are other issues that people have that can't really be ignored or tolerated and I think that people need to be able to post about these without fear of 'upsetting' others  :-\ However as I said in my first post this is not a cocker thing, all breeds and crossbreeds of dog can have behaviour issues.

Part of the reason I posted Alfie's training update last week was because I felt like I had posted more about his bad points re. the chasing than the many good things he does. I've said before, even if he never makes a working dog I will still adore him, be very proud of him and be very lucky to have him which is really how I think that all of us on COL feel about our cockers.

Nicola...exactly who have you upset? certainly not me  ;) No one is saying that Dogs CAN'T have problems or for that matter that people can't post about them, there would be no need for a forum otherwise.  As a forum we are here to help each other.

I didn't say that I had upset anyone but on the first page of this post GoldenGirl says that she has been very upset by some posts made by experienced members recently which is what I was referring to.

I don't think Goldengirl meant upset in the way it read....I knew what she meant anyway.

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2007, 10:20:06 PM »
I've seen quite a lot of references to Cocker bitches being bossy, pushy and manipulative on here recently, particularly with other dogs - it's not been my experience at all - Misty and Stevie may be daft and they may be cheeky but they aren't the least bit bossy, pushy or manipulative. Neither one has ever caused a single problem with another dog in the park... not ever, so it seems a bit of a generalisation to me. Apparently bitches aren't as affectionate as males either, so I've read - well that one's news to me too.  :lol:

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2007, 10:20:21 PM »

aw poor lady, she has ALOT to learn  :005:

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2007, 10:20:42 PM »
ohh nooo Lisa, not all bitches are like that at all !!!  have you met my Lola, a sweeter more soppy girl you couldn't wish to live with....not a bossy manipulative bone in her body  :luv:

no, but plenty of oestrogen to lure my innocent spaniel into norty ways :rofl1:

:lol: :lol: :lol: