Author Topic: Behaviour issues with cockers  (Read 8769 times)

Cazzie

Re: Behaviour issues with cockers
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2007, 08:56:42 AM »
Jan I agree, it is never that simple.  It takes years to understand why dogs do what they do, and the learning curve never stops for people that still want to learn  ;)  each dog I have is so different, and each needs to be treated differently.  It's like saying teachers should teach all kids the same way, it just doesn't work like that, individuals need different "lessons" !

I agree totally with this. Got it in a nutshell  :blink:

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2007, 09:31:01 AM »

:luv:
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2007, 09:51:05 AM »
I can't see anywhere where Gilly has said dogs should not be treated as individuals :huh: Training each dog according to their individual needs (instead of a "one-size fits all" approach) is something that has long been promoted on COL since the early days. It's because all dogs are individuals that maybe we shouldn't make some of the generalisations that have been posted recently - some Cocker bitches may well be bossy and manipulative but just as many are not (none of mine are). Some dogs may be more affectionate than some bitches but the opposite can also apply. They're all different!

Getting back to the topic of this thread, surely the main point is that nobody wants any member to stop posting about their problems but that it all needs to be put into perspective so that people realise these same problems are talked about on every other dog forum relating to any breed or cross-breed you care to mention - they're not "show Cocker" problems but problems any owner of any dog may experience.

Jane

Offline kb

• Site Member
« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2007, 11:33:13 AM »
Honey can be a "naughty" dog - she is also a very loving, intelligent, charming, manipulative and adorable dog and  love her regardless. I don't think being a cocker makes her naughty - but I think having character and being intelligent comes from being a cocker. Everyone I knows who owns a cocker will tell you how bright they are and that they have strong individual characters. She does thing s that drive me nuts - but she also does somethings that make me fall about laughing and when she' lying cuddled up beside me in the evenings, after that dyas adventures, I love her to bits.

We've alwats had dogs - no particular breed - and they've all brought their own difficulties. They didn't pinch food off the worktop, for example - because they weren't big enough, but they would have if they could.

Dogs are not humans - they're dogs. And they all do non-human things - some easier to fathom than others :shades: ::) - but there you go. For every post of challenging behaviour, you could go over to one of the other threads and read about something delightful or funny the dog has also done. You now the behaviour thread is just that - people do post their cuccesses on there as well as their challenges. It is a very specific thread though and used for the more challenging aspects of cocker ownership.

It's only part of this forum - you need to look at the whole forum - to see the true nature of cokers and those who own them ;)

I use an ASD (autsim) fourm - there is a section on there for challenging behaviours. Now if you only ever read that you would think this is horrendous - but if you read the sections you would get a more realistic picture of what is going on - it's the same here.

Don't base your views on cockers on the behaviour forum - its only a snapshot of a moment in time, not the whole album ;)

Offline kb

• Site Member
« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2007, 11:35:07 AM »
Pkease excuse the tyoing having troubke coordianting my brain and hands this morning for some reason :005:

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2007, 01:25:33 PM »
After being a member here for just a few weeks I was beginning to wonder if there was something wrong with my Cocker, Charley.  He has never been a problem and has a wonderful temperament.

Many of the problems that owners experience are down to early upbringing.  None of my Cockers have been left alone for long periods, and never as puppies. Charley goes everywhere with me, and is only left at home when going shopping and it's too hot to leave him in the car. Firm discipline is essential with any dog - you are the leader of the pack and they must understand that.  Positive, and not negative reinforcement, should be used.  That is praise not punishment. 

I can take anything from Charley and he allows me to do so.  He has never growled or snapped if I have taken anything from him.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2007, 01:26:36 PM »
Jan I agree, it is never that simple.  It takes years to understand why dogs do what they do, and the learning curve never stops for people that still want to learn  ;)  each dog I have is so different, and each needs to be treated differently.  It's like saying teachers should teach all kids the same way, it just doesn't work like that, individuals need different "lessons" !

I don't think for as long as I live I will ever understand my two --- they surprise me all the time with their quirky habits, some more embarrassing than others. I have a friend who has a wierd lab so we just compare notes!
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Penel

« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2007, 07:00:25 PM »
True, I wish there was more common sense around... seems to be rather lacking lately on most dog forums. :-\

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2007, 07:41:57 PM »
I am not sure why you are so upset by my post? The point I was trying to get across is that behavioural problems can occur in any dog and NOT just Cocker's. At no point did I say don't post about problems or that they are not important.  Can you please show me the part of my post where I said that?

I didn't say you did say don't post about problems .

I wasn't upset, just shocked. I thought it could have been worded better.

I really cannot bear the constant psychoanalysis of our dogs. A dogs, a dog, a dog, you either get it or you don't.......Sometimes I really wonder how any of you actually find the time to enjoy them  

Well obviously I completely missunderstood  ::)

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2007, 09:54:16 PM »
I have been a member of COL for over 4 yrs - well before we brought Jessie and Saffi home  :D

I have always received a warm welcome and great sound advice from both the forum members and its mods.

However I only post when I have an issue I can't resolve alone or find another post that answers it. SO I think you will see more posts about dogs with issues than not as those without issues in their pets don't post - they read alot!  :lol:

I post quite rarely now asking for advice.....Ive usually read the answer previously!!

Its the 'people only talk about the bad stuff as the good stuff isa given' scenario  :D

Janey

Offline kookie

• Site Member
« Reply #70 on: April 27, 2007, 10:06:10 PM »
My dogs are dogs! I love them for being dogs! They are naughty, fun, get their own way(most of the time) I love my dogs because they are dogs.
Love from Karen and Livvy

Cazzie

« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2007, 10:07:27 PM »
I started this post and have been inspired by everyones replies and I am grateful to you all taking the time to put you're views and opinions forward.  :blink:

As in life there is no ideal cenario, my thoughts when initially  posting this topic was to get all you cocker owners experiences and views so it would improve my understanding and appreciation of this magnificant breed.  :luv:

I have now after reading everything within this post understand even more that each and every dog/person/situation and requirement are all different.  :D

I have also learned that you are all a really true fantastic bunch of people and I look forward to meeting some of you in the future.  ;)

Best wishes & luv to the animals  :luv:

Cazzie xx

Offline caty

• Site Member
  • Flyndo
« Reply #72 on: April 28, 2007, 06:18:56 PM »
As I am pretty new to the cocker breed, I have been reading alot of topics regarding cockers with behaviour and aggression issues  :-\

Hi, sorry to butt in on this post but it made for interesting reading! I felt a little bad because I'd posted a thread recently about aggression issues with my male cocker. Sorry if I offended anyone or put anyone off the breed. I absolutely adore my cockers and because I've never owned dogs before it's such a steep learning curve for me and rather than want to 'badmouth' them I really wanted to try and learn their language and understand why they do the things they do - as I'm sure all of us on this forum want to do! I can't imagine not having them now as they really are part of the family and are an absolute joy to be around. I just want to understand them better.
 I guess we all have one thing in common - we want to be responsible, loving and considerate dog owners. The fact that they do things sometimes that we mis-interpret or do not understand only leads to difficulties or problems further down the line, surely, if we do not ask for advice or help. I agree with a lot of what has been said in the threads although I do think that some problems faced by cocker owners are not always down to bad breeding or poor training but sometimes down to mis-interpretation and mis-understanding which I'd hold my hand up to when I first started as a new dog owner!!! (Although thanks to loads of books and websites I'm much better now :-) It's sites like this that are a godsend for me. So, I guess on a more positive note, I love my two cockers to bits and would recommend them to anyone wanting to own a dog. I'm sure if we went on some of the parenting forums some of us wouldn't want to have children!!!

Offline charlie_jim_gem

• Site Member
« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2007, 09:20:11 AM »
I think the reason people find some cocker's harder to train cos there very intelligent and as with all intelligent dogs they can pick up things very quickly that includes bad habits :005:

Reading other peoples posts on here i do think that either they are over exaggerating the situation or maybe my little ball of fluff ain't as bad as we first thought :lol:

But i do completely agree with Robbie it is the owners who teach a dog too much over excitement can sometimes be caused by kids or adults being kids and wanting to fuss the puppy to much also i think aggression can come down to teasing a dog sometimes whilst playing when it is young they do remember even into adult hood>:(

Charlie being me and my partners first dog together i have used the same approach to wards him that my parents did to wards there dogs no teasing ,no pulling around and respecting that hes not there for your amusement respect him as part of the family.

The woman we bought charlie from had 6 kids we found that they had pulled him about so much he was just mental but now with a normal life and peace and quiet he is slowly calming down :D

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2007, 09:55:05 AM »
Charlie is my first Cocker Spaniel (worker) and i have to say until he had health issues (paralysed, pancreatitis etc) I have to say he has been a joy and he is 8 now.  Yes when in his prime he needed lots of exercise and given work to do to keep him busy and stop him getting bored.  He used to spent hours on the golf course with my hubby 'finding' golf balls and all the jumior boys were delighted because they got the balls he found.  I didnt buy him to be an ornament I bought him to be part of the family.  Yes as he grew from puppyhood we soon learnt that he needed a lot more exercise as well as being kept busy than any other breed we have had.  Yes he chewed a few items when small but then thats what pups do.  He must have exercise every day to stop his legs stiffening up although for shorter periods and still walks the course with hubby finding finding balls the difference is he has this now for shorter periods as he hasnt the stamina or the strength in his legs now.  He doesnt know that while he used to be able to spend 4 hours on course he now only gets 2 hours max.  but hey he cant tell the time.  It is a joy to see him head down seeking for balls and bum in the air and know that he is so happy to still be able to do this. 
I always feel with dogs that it is the same with Children you get out what you put in no matter the breed.  Or am I showing my age here. 
Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Charlie my Angel 11-12-2014
Hamish latest addition