Author Topic: Nerve tablets  (Read 1747 times)

Cazzie

Nerve tablets
« on: May 24, 2007, 04:27:32 PM »
Has anyone any experience with Nerve Tablets, used in dogs for behaviour issues?  :-\

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
Re: Nerve tablets
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 05:13:44 PM »
For you or the dog?  :005:

There are quite a few medications that can be used in dogs with varying success, Prozac is one of them. Is that what you mean?
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 05:17:04 PM »
Or are you asking about herbal "nerve" tablets like Skullcap & Valerian? I know owners who have used these kind of remedies with some success but you have to give herbal remedies time to work - they are not a quick fix.
Jane

Cazzie

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 05:25:43 PM »
For you or the dog?  :005:

There are quite a few medications that can be used in dogs with varying success, Prozac is one of them. Is that what you mean?

:005: Yeh could sometimes do with them  :005:
Or are you asking about herbal "nerve" tablets like Skullcap & Valerian? I know owners who have used these kind of remedies with some success but you have to give herbal remedies time to work - they are not a quick fix.

Yes I think they are herbal, a client uses them on her dogs and has done for sometime, ive never come across a dog on these before so was just looking for more info and to hear from anyone that does use them.  :blink:

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 05:28:30 PM »
We tried Serene-Um tablets for Casper. They are supposed to help with general anxiety. They seemed to help for a while, but the effects soon wore off. (Although he was still taking them.)

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 06:11:34 PM »
I use scullcap and valerian tablets for Vegas. His behaviour is generally a lot better when he is on them so I keep him on them all the time now.
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline jools

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 06:56:13 PM »
I tried Scullcap and Valerian with Millie. It made no difference at all. I have read some negative stuff on another site about scullcap and v. Some people think that it relaxes the dog's inhibitions to the extant that they are actually more aggressive.  :-\
With love from Julie, Bramble Poppy and Coco xxx

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2007, 07:36:46 PM »
Gosh Charlie takes scullcap and valerian, maybe I should try him without for a while I think I will gradually reduce them and see if there are any differences to his behaviour.

Offline jools

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2007, 07:55:34 PM »
Gosh Charlie takes scullcap and valerian, maybe I should try him without for a while I think I will gradually reduce them and see if there are any differences to his behaviour.

If they're working for Charlie, I'd keep him on them. Like every drug, there will always be people who are against and people are for.
With love from Julie, Bramble Poppy and Coco xxx

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2007, 12:00:04 AM »
nope never heard of them but I use rescue remedy.. I dont know if it works or not but I squirt away regardless.. ive heard its good for dogs??

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2007, 10:51:03 AM »
I have tried vervain and valerian. Personally I think dogs who are nervous need a holistic approach to helprecognise and reduce factors stimulating fear and promote more acceptable responses to anxiety. On the food and herb side foods rich in iron and iodine help reduce nervousness ie easily available ones are egg yolks, kelp and honey. Herbs of benefit are skullcap, rosemary,vervain, rue and valerian.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.