Author Topic: Dog Listeners  (Read 5177 times)

Offline suedownie

• Site Member
Dog Listeners
« on: June 07, 2007, 12:23:31 PM »
Are there any dog listeners out there within the Cockers Online Forum?

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Re: Dog Listeners
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 12:27:52 PM »
It depends on what you mean by "dog listener" ;) Do you mean a dog trainer who uses the words "dog listener" to describe themselves? If so, no there aren't any on COL although we do have several excellent trainers. Are you looking for advice with a behavioural problem perhaps?
Jane

Offline suedownie

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 12:32:40 PM »
By dog listeners I mean anyone who has embraced the Jan Fennell Amichien Bonding method.  I have attended and passed both the foundation and advanced course and use the methods to look after my three dogs (springer, cocker & norfolk).  I was just interested to see if anyone else had been using the Jan Fennell method.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 12:36:25 PM »
Ah so you were really asking if there are any other followers of Jan Fennell's methods on COL? There are several other dog trainers not connected to Ms Fennell who call themselves dog listeners so I thought it best to clarify. Hope you're prepared for some negative views as I know we have quite a few members who really don't agree with "Amichien Bonding" ;)
Jane

Offline suedownie

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 12:41:50 PM »
Feedback is always interesting and everyone must use whatever method they feel most comfortable with and that suits their dogs/lifestyle.  As long as comments are constructive and come from an informed viewpoint I will be more than interested to read them.  At the end of the day we all want what is best for our dogs.

Cazzie

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 12:43:30 PM »
I have her book but havent read it all, just mainly looked at the pictures  ph34r  :005: . I personally admire anyone who trains dogs to a high standard, these people have a special gift. All her methods obviously have worked for her or she wouldnt be writing a book on it. Also the same Jan Fennel has made a lot of money doing what she does so I say good on her.  ;) The only way I would be against any trainer is if they were cruel to their animals. Im off to find her book and read it, then I will come back and give you an update  ;)

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 01:28:00 PM »

A big thumbs down to the Jan Fennell method from me. As a first time owner I bought one of her books and fell for it hook, line and sinker. The result ? A confused, miserable and withdrawn dog. All the ignoring knocked the confidence out of him - to the extent that he wouldn't even come to me if I called him, even if I got his lead to go for a walk, he just lay there and stared at me.  :-\  Buying her book was one of the biggest mistakes I ever made.

Offline *Adele*

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 01:41:50 PM »
I've read the book but haven't followed anything in it!  :005: Interesting read but I prefer the way we do it ourselves with the help of our trainer (who is not on here  :lol:)

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 01:46:04 PM »
I couldn't imagine using anything to train Kali but positive reinforcement/clicker training.  To see a dog learn to touch my hand for a treat after just 1 minutes teaching, well, I cannot see any other method beating that :-\
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline wrenside

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007, 04:11:44 PM »
I found Jan Fennels book a useful read and I've also got her dvd, just to see how she implemented her methods. However, I haven't used much of what she uses because it seemed rather negative and quite harsh if used on a 'soft' dog. Although I think when she talks about being consistent and not treating the dog like a baby, but like a dog, I do agree very much with this. So I think she has some useful insights into dogs and how they think, but I do think that our dogs are clever enough to have worked out that we humans are not fellow dogs. My dog treats other dogs in a very different manner to how she treats other humans. Therefore I think the 'pack' theory is a bit limited.

Best wishes

Mary

Offline suedownie

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2007, 04:44:33 PM »
Thanks Mary - and what a beautiful little darling you have.  I must say the consistent approach and also not treating a dog like a baby/human has got to be right.  I watched a programme lately where the trainer just continually shouted different commands at the poor dog and expected it to do what she said and was then surprised when it ran off and did what it wanted to!!

Best wishes

Offline caty

• Site Member
  • Flyndo
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2007, 04:48:14 PM »
I tried it when we got our pups at 8 weeks as it was recommended by our breeder and I have to say (although I don't think it'll make me very popular on here ph34r) that her methods worked for my two. I ignore mine for 5mins when I come back into the room until they have calmed down and then I fuss over them. This has more to do with wanting the desired behaviour rather than being too tired to go near them! At first I felt really bad for doing this, though but after a while, they stopped jumping up.  

Also because mine pulled on the lead really badly at first, I've used her methods to train them to be calm before they go out a walk - and I always go out of the door first now. I find with my two that they are much calmer dogs because of it and when they come up to me for a cuddle now on the sofa, it's more of a special time for us all because they have been invited up instead of leaping around all over us. which is what they had started doing!

This is not to say that we don't play or go out and have games and fun but my two have learned to be calmer around the house in order to get attention. If we start a family, I'm sure I'll be glad I taught them this.

I use rewards based training, though. Never negative re-inforcement.

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2007, 05:04:32 PM »
  I watched a programme lately where the trainer just continually shouted different commands at the poor dog and expected it to do what she said and was then surprised when it ran off and did what it wanted to!!

Welcome to COL

I think THIS may be the programme you watched.

Many members prefer Jean Donaldson and in particular her book The Culture Clash. Have you read any of her books at all?

I've got books from both authors btw.  ;)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2007, 06:26:55 PM »
I ignore mine for 5mins when I come back into the room until they have calmed down and then I fuss over them.

train them to be calm before they go out a walk ...........

when they come up to me for a cuddle now on the sofa, it's more of a special time for us all because they have been invited up instead of leaping around all over us.

If this is the extent Amichien Bonding, then I use it, too - but what I read of Jan Fennell's book is rather more complex than that, and I wasn't comfortable with some of the methods described  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline caty

• Site Member
  • Flyndo
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2007, 10:48:45 PM »
Perhaps I wasn't reading it properly ph34r. I kinda skimmed through some of it to pick up the main concepts.

Which parts or methods did you disagree with? It's just that when I realised how unpopular Jan's methods were on this forum, I was a little confused as to why as I followed the main ones I described earlier, e.g - walking in front of them when out a walk, the 5 minute rule :embarassed:

Maybe I should re-read it!