Author Topic: paint shop pro 8 some questions  (Read 1496 times)

Offline lyn

• Site Member
paint shop pro 8 some questions
« on: July 13, 2007, 02:34:58 PM »
first and most importantly, is it any good for photo editing?
secondly and just as impotant, do you need a degree to use it(it has been sent to me via email and so i have no real instructions and will have to find my way round it all by myself)i am not very techie :embarassed:
i don't want the hassle of installing it(well the patchy thing to make it forever) if i won't be able to use it properly. ;)

Offline SimonThePhotographer

• Site Member
Re: paint shop pro 8 some questions
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 03:20:36 PM »
To be honest, as versions increased in PSP and Photoshop, they because reasonably parallel for complexity.  But although you can do lots of stuff in PSP, you can do a while lot more in Photoshop.

But seeing as you have it already, you may as well use PSP (though I wouldn't broadcast the fact you got it through email! - you never know who's reading forums.

Although, having said that - im sure it's the trial version isn't it.  Yeah, thats what it'll be.    :shades:

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 03:23:52 PM »
 :lol2:
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 03:33:43 PM »
Well, photoshop is more supported for plugins - which is probably the biggest thing.  PS plugins are sometimes like a completely different package within a package.  But I also find that PSP lacks a good masking tool (for cutting backgrounds and suchlike).  Photoshop provides a whole bunch of ways to mask areas, the best of which is quickmask. 

In general though, if you're serious about editing - photoshop outshines PSP by a huge margin in it's complexity.  I've done a huge course, and still I can't get my head around all the features.  I think one of my favourite tools in photoshop is the healing brush.  It's amazing!  I use it to remove blemishes from photographs, such as spots and scars.  It takes a healthy segment of a picture and blends it over the top of the dodgy bit.

I tried to find an example on my work PC, but all my pics are edited already.  May post an example when I get home.

Im sure PSP has an alternative, but I cant imagine it working as well as it does in Photoshop.  I think i used PSP from version 3.01 (on floppy disk!) to version 6 - but as a photographer, I need the power that Photoshop gives me.   The drawback is that it IS over-complicated sometimes, and it IS expensive.

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 03:47:59 PM »
 :luv:
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 04:03:55 PM »
It can be complicated. It all depends on what you'll be using the package for.  If it's just stuff like red-eye reduction and resizing then PSP will do the job perfectly.  but if you want to do higher level stuff then Photoshop CS2 (not CS3!) is the way forward imho.

Offline lyn

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 04:42:27 PM »
thankyou simon, i won't bother installing psp i will go and get the other one. i want to be able to do all kinds of stuff with my pics. so i think i will see if there are any local courses nearby

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 09:23:18 PM »
Hi Lynn, I reckon it's probably a good choice if you want to be able to really push things.

If you're willing to spend the cash, I can recommend (for the second time in this forum) the Total Training Photoshop CS2 DVD.  It's done by a quirky american guy, but is hugely informative and easily worth the money!

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 10:38:55 PM »
I use PSP as I can't afford Photoshop ;) Have you seen how much it costs, Lyn - you might change your mind :005: I'd say PSP is fine for most people's editing needs unless they're professionals like Simon who need something with a bit more oomph :blink:

Jane

Offline lyn

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2007, 09:35:40 AM »
i haven't looked at the price yet jane, will i faint?? :005: i don't have huge amounts to spend.we are leaving the country in a few months and i'm saving for ellies flight.which i might add is costing me more than flights for 3 humans combined :o
so expect the odd pm jane when i get stuck with something and can't figure it out ;)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2007, 09:49:52 AM »
Photoshop CS2 which Simon was recommending comes in at £300-£400 on sites I've found (although of course these are legal downloads ;)) The newest version of Photoshop is over £500. It's seriously powerful software but I'm not sure that most home users would ever need what if offers. You should be ok with PSP although it takes a bit of time to get to grips with it - luckily there are plenty of online tutorials and forums to get you started :D
Jane

Offline lyn

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2007, 12:05:34 PM »
blimey i did a google search(before janes second post) and i did nearly faint :005: i can't believe how much ps is :o
i have found some online tutorials for psp and will be using them a lot methinks :005: