Author Topic: Badly behaved houseguest coming to stay!  (Read 8102 times)

Offline Boof

• Site Member
Re: Badly behaved houseguest coming to stay!
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2007, 11:35:10 AM »
It sounds like he's getting on really well with you, I'm so pleased.  Fingers crossed things stay the same. :luv:

Offline LouiseAS

• Inactive
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2007, 12:39:20 PM »
I'm really pleased he's getting on well.  I've been thinking of him  :'(

I'd be tempted not to give hm back too.  Is there no way you can persuade them to leave him with you!?
Louise & my beautiful girl Meg xx

Offline heelers n cockers

• Site Member
  • Freddy Flashback-BIS Colne Valley '09 & RBIS '10
    • Moonwillow Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2007, 01:45:24 PM »
I'd be tempted not to give him back sorry but it does sound like the poor little mite is not in the right home situation, what a way to ruin a dog  :'(

I always find it a little odd that people profess not to wanting an animal but refuse to part with it to someone that does want it, kind of makes you wonder if they are not more worried about what people will think if the dog becomes a star pupil instead of the frightened monster he currently is...

trust me id rather not give him back! and i know my hubby would have him in a heartbeat!
i do think you have hit the nail on the head there Tasha! wife is ALWAYS saying how bad he is...how he has chewed this again, stolen that, is always growling and snarling and snapping, they cant do this with him and they cant do that, is always hyper etc etc etc......well he hasnt done ANYTHING of the above...in fact he is asleep and snoring his head off as i type! (actually all three are asleep but only two are snoring-freddy doesnt snore! :005:)
i also have him on a long line so if he does start being naughty i can distract him easily and without confrontation, as i believe that is his root cause of his problems. (although i am not a doggie behaviourist :005: its just my observations) i also ask him to 'sit' before i do anything with him like having a cuddle, or having his tea or just to tell him he is a 'good boy' im sure this helps rather than just being told off all the time!
i have also set a few ground rules, for my 10 yr olds benefit, and they are 1. no 'rough n tumble' games as these seem to spark his over excitement/aggression (i have seen BIL play very rough and it has ended up with fudge snapping/snarling and trying to bite! not playfully either!) 2. no 'fetch' games as he tries to run and hide with 'his' prize and gets possesive/aggressive if approached. and 3. no 'tug of war' games as these have the same conclusions as the above.
(just read that back and it sounds pretty boring for the poor dog :005: but id rather have a relaxed dog as opposed to a dog 'on edge' all the time!)
Cocker Spaniels leave their pawprints on your heart......
Lancashire Heelers however.....leave their teethmarks on your trousers!

Champagne for my real friends...Real pain for my sham friends....

http://moonwillowcockerspaniels.piczo.com

Offline LouiseAS

• Inactive
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2007, 07:05:39 PM »
I just hope that having some "time out" from his normal situation doesn't make him worse when you hand him back.

If they dislike Fudge so much and think he's a nuisance can you not play on the fact that his behaviour has been perfect with you?  She may be glad to get rid of him if he causes her so much hassle.

I'm really pleased he's getting some positive interaction with you he sounds a lovely boy  :luv:

Offline PennyB

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2007, 07:12:03 PM »
I always find it a little odd that people profess not to wanting an animal but refuse to part with it to someone that does want it, kind of makes you wonder if they are not more worried about what people will think if the dog becomes a star pupil instead of the frightened monster he currently is...

That's a really good point, I'd never thought of that

I've seen it before where some owners will make out how awful a dog is so it makes them feel good about getting rid of them or pts ::)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Alpha

• Site Member
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2007, 08:37:08 PM »
If they dislike Fudge so much and think he's a nuisance can you not play on the fact that his behaviour has been perfect with you?  She may be glad to get rid of him if he causes her so much hassle.
Ah but then you start getting into allsorts of petty jealously and spitefullness, because lets get real here do you really think SIL will let Fudge go to H&C's. if she locks the dog in the garage all day what chance do you think there is of her letting her "nemesis" ( said in the best possible way re the dogs).
Give me her address i will come and slap her

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2007, 09:19:31 PM »
 :005:

Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

• Site Member
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2007, 10:08:22 PM »
Ah but then you start getting into allsorts of petty jealously and spitefullness, because lets get real here do you really think SIL will let Fudge go to H&C's. if she locks the dog in the garage all day what chance do you think there is of her letting her "nemesis" ( said in the best possible way re the dogs).
Give me her address i will come and slap her

i keep saying to hubby 'she wont let you have him you know! she will get rid/PTS just to spite you' hubby keeps saying 'no..we will, we will!' i just have a 'feeling' you know...and it makes me so sad :'( we would happily take him, not to spite her or to 'prove' we are superior dog owners ::) (we aint superior we're just normal)but because we love the little guy to bits.

Alpha very tempting but i really must decline your kind offer  :005: (except if they 'get rid' then i mught consider it >:()

Offline LouiseAS

• Inactive
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2007, 10:16:12 PM »

i keep saying to hubby 'she wont let you have him you know! she will get rid/PTS just to spite you' hubby keeps saying 'no..we will, we will!' i just have a 'feeling' you know...and it makes me so sad :'( we would happily take him, not to spite her or to 'prove' we are superior dog owners ::) but because we love the little guy to bits.

I phrased that badly, I didn't mean to spite her but maybe if you tell her Fudge is no trouble for you she may give in if she finds him impossible.  Sometimes it's hard to type exactly what you mean  ;)

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2007, 10:17:29 PM »
This story is very poignant for me as my bayley was kept isolated in a garage and physically punished.
When he came to me Via Jane S he had the mental scars to prove it.
With love, understanding and a lot of hard work he has been transformed.
It can be done but it has to be done sooner rather than later.
Can you not persuade your relatives that what they are doing is wrong!
I'll give you my number if you think they would listen to behavioural advice and if they are not too stubborn to know what's good for their dog.
They do however need to understand what they are doing is making the dog worse for anybody to help them and this poor little doggie.
Best of luck in your efforts and If i can help with any advice please PM me.
Mark

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline lyn

• Site Member
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2007, 10:43:46 PM »

That's a really good point, I'd never thought of that

I've seen it before where some owners will make out how awful a dog is so it makes them feel good about getting rid of them or pts ::)
i can back this up. i had a dog here today who i have managed to convince his owner not to pts. she says he is unmanageable and untrainable but believe me when i say he is a darling. the saddest thing was he didn't recognise his name :'(
could you offer to buy him off your sil? hard cash might just change her mind.
poor little fudge. he has had such a bad life so far. it would be wonderful if there were a happy ending to this sad tale

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2007, 10:46:53 PM »
I'll give you my number if you think they would listen to behavioural advice and if they are not too stubborn to know what's good for their dog.

aawww Mark you're so sweet  :luv:

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2007, 10:47:52 PM »
even though i have taken dogs in with this kind of problem and worked through there problems .
I don't feel I should contribute further to this thread as the owners are not here to talk about there dog  :-\ . i am very surprised to read some of the comments on here  :-\ 
please give your SIL and BIL this site address so we can help her  :blink:
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2007, 10:49:08 PM »
i am very surprised to read some of the comments on here  :-\ 

What exactly has been said that surprises you  ::)

• Site Member
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2007, 10:50:56 PM »
Heelers and cockers are you at this dogs house often ? do they really dislike him? how long when you say long there leaving him ? as for the guarage have they made him a room there  ? have they had dogs before ?  do they take advice from you ?

hi luvly to answer your questions, we try to go over to see them at least once a week but due to their work its very rare to actually see them-even if we ring to check when they are off work, its usually inconvenient for them, and for us sometimes.
i think BIL does like him yet still says 'you can have him tomorrow-i dont mind'  ::)
he is definately in the garage overnight and when they go to work or go out, and if he gets muddy/wet on a walk, i think when they are in he is in the garden but not allowed in the house-this definately started about two weeks ago when he 'went' for her on a walk (she said this on the phone to my hubby a couple of days ago and when hubby asked if it was fair on him, she said oh hes got enough room, its not a small garage-thats not the point!) but we have been up before and he has been shut in the garage as we have heard him barking!
he has his food/water bowl and a blanket/bed in there.
they have springers before, one was a very sweet oldie-he was lovely, the other one was before i knew them and was extremely aggressive and bitey-he was PTS.
i have mentioned before about clicker training and about how its reward based and not punishment based, BIL seemed interested but wife...... ::) she probably thinks im not old or wise enough to know anything (well thats the impression i get) i also said that i would be quite happy to groom/clip/trim him whenever they wanted (at no cost!) but apparently he got all knotty and tangled so they booked him in to be clippered completely off! even though i said i would de-tangle and do the full works for them, she said 'no its alright well get him done professionally (the cheek of the woman! >:() and now i cant go near him with scissors he just cries.