Author Topic: Does your dog show agression?  (Read 9304 times)

Cazzie

Does your dog show agression?
« on: July 24, 2007, 10:46:12 PM »
I am doing a study just now on aggression in dogs. I would like to know if your dogs shows any aggression at all and if they do what are they aggressive towards. Thanks Guys  ;)

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
Re: Does your dog show agression?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 10:50:43 PM »
Yes he shows aggresion to people when he is frightened. He usually drops his tail between his legs and then bites. Some of the other signals the growling and showing of teeth are not displayed. I am pleased to say these incidences are very few and far between, usually aimed towards the vet and groomer

Offline debz

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 10:51:56 PM »
Well Tom doesn't but lots of dogs show it too him i don't have a clue why and all the owners always say ooh they have never done that before :huh:

Cazzie

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 10:56:59 PM »
Thanks for that, the reason I have started this is Goose has started to be aggressive towards other male dogs and nothing else, I am working with him on this and WILL get it sorted. I have put it down to that he lives with 3 girls and most of the dogs that come here are girls and today he was sitting between my feet and another male dog came up to me to say hello and he flew at them, he is obviously being protective towards his girls and especially to his mummy. I have only found this common in male dogs so hence the post folks as it helps to put lots into prospective if you know what I mean. I am very interested in working with dogs that have issues as its something that is coming more common.

Thanks Guys and look forward to hearing your experiences  ;) :blink:

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
    • Darvieux Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 10:57:44 PM »
Hi, Louis only shows aggression when he has pinched something and doesn't want to give it back. It always involves food. We can very easily give him food and take it away again, but not if he has acquired it by illegal means! He has never shown aggression to other dogs or humans (only last weekend when my mum turned up at my house with a dinky 16 week old toy poodle puppy whom Louis for the first time in nearly eleven years decided he wasn't sharing ANYTHING!) He is old now and obviously a bit cantankerous due to not being in tip top health so I forgive him for that. Is that wrong of me? I did tell him off but it seemed to make him worse.

Offline Danni n Betty

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 10:59:16 PM »
Betty shows aggression (although it looks aggressive its actually fear) towards strangers on 'her territory', which includes our flat, my car, my workroom, and my grans  ::) She doesn't turn a hair walking past people out and about on walks.
She is also wary of large dogs.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 11:02:29 PM »
In a word... no. None of them have ever shown the slightest sign of aggression towards people, other dogs or any other animal, not over bones, toys, food, treats, space, beds, me, when growled at/barked at/humped by other dogs... nothing. They're lovers not fighters  :shades: They are confident but extremely non confrontational and are without doubt some of the best natured dogs I've ever met, Alfie in particular is unfailingly cheerful and friendly to everyone and everything no matter what's going on - he was twisting around licking the vet's ears the last time he was having his anal glands squeezed and his tail was wagging like mad. He adores the vet, he actually pees himself with excitement when they call his name  :005:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 11:28:01 PM »
Never toward human beings, but toward each other.... ::)

Joy was just awful with Crackers, would beat her up any chance she got. She bullies the boys, but it is usually over something specific like a toy or food, not out of the blue like it was when Crackers was alive. She's much better with males than she is with females.

Barkley/Bracken (he's in the middle of a name change  :005:), the newest, is 14 months old and entire, and in the last week or so has taken to bullying my shih-tzu, also an entire male. It's mostly been over biskits but there have been a couple of times that I don't know what it is. He bowls him over and pins him to the floor, so I need to sort what that is all about (late adolescent macho, methinks  ::))

The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 11:38:51 PM »
Yes

Billy is a difficult one as his is quite random. It's mainly based around fear & being bad at communicating with other dogs & humans.

He can snap at other dogs, I'd say one in every fifty he may growl at - there is no pattern whatsoever - believe me I've done lists!!! It's known to Billy & only Billy.

I can check his ears, clean his teeth, check his teeth, dry him, brush him & so can the vet & groomer & he will be fine, yet the other day i sat next to him on the bed & he tried to take my arm off  >:D

Not much help am I  :005:

Offline Danni n Betty

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 11:44:56 PM »
Yes

Billy is a difficult one as his is quite random. It's mainly based around fear & being bad at communicating with other dogs & humans.

He can snap at other dogs, I'd say one in every fifty he may growl at - there is no pattern whatsoever - believe me I've done lists!!! It's known to Billy & only Billy.

I can check his ears, clean his teeth, check his teeth, dry him, brush him & so can the vet & groomer & he will be fine, yet the other day i sat next to him on the bed & he tried to take my arm off  >:D

Not much help am I  :005:

Sorry to hear that Jan  :-\
I wish we could read there minds, find out what it is that makes them tick.

Offline tillydog

• Site Member
  • Rommel & Lady
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 12:01:47 AM »
My mum & step- dad's border collie x will growl at, and bully at times my cocker Lady. Bella (the border collie x) is also very dominant over her fellow canine housemate Lincoln (springer spaniel) to the the point of humping him in a dominant way not a sexual way. If I'm there, I'll tell Bella to stop but my mum & step-dad let her get away with it. Yet at other times, she's also very loving to him - licks his eyes and generally grooms him. The only time Bella has ever gone for me was when she's managed to get hold of the feathers on the bum of one of their chickens through the fencing and I told her to "leave it" - she growled and snapped at my ankles.

Lady has shown no aggression at all tho she'll growl at night when it's dark (I dont think her eyesight is good after dark) if anyone comes to the door, but once she's had a sniff she's fine and then asks to be petted!

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007, 12:16:00 AM »
Only Barney, and only against one person ever but repeatidly.

Briefly, I've written about it so much on here.  ::)  :005:  When Barney was 4 months old we took him to my mums, it was his first visit, and my brother, wife and kids were there. Barney had spent the day before with them during a trip to the seaside.
Barney had taken himself off and tucked away under a chair at the outdoor table where we were eating. When my 3 yr old niece had finished she'd got down from the table, on my next glance sideways she was sat with Max sticking her fingers up his nose.  >:( Told her off and she took off in the opposite direction.
Two minutes later I heard Barney growl and bark, SIL was pulling niece out from table saying that he'd gone for her.  >:(  I was furious that she let her crawl under the table to get to him when he was asleep.

Immediately after he ran away from her and hid. So whether she'd hurt him or startled him, he was frightened.  The following day I tried to rebuild their relationship, but he was very frightened of her. They only visit about four times a year so he doesn't see her very often.

They next time they were up I went through trying to reintroduce them slowly. Face to face he's wary but tolerates her, but if he can't see her but knows she's approaching he will snap.  I've tried just about everything, and last Christmas I threw every trick I knew at it but with the same outcome. If she approaches from behind he snaps. I've tried to tell her not to sneak up on him, but takes no notice.
I took a soft crate, so there were no bars to put fingers through, to give Barney some space. We put him in there and she'd not leave him alone even with my OH sitting next to the crate telling her to go away.  >:( So he was still on guard.  

After last Christmas I took the decision not to mix them again.  She doesn't listen enough or do as she's told, so its almost impossible. Plus no matter who's fault it was, should Barney go further than snapping I know for a fact they would demand he was pts.  :'(  I won't put him in that position.

He is wary of young girls.  Six years and up and he's fine. He adores my friends 8 yr old. Interesting for the first time my friend unexpectedly brought her granddaughter with her who is 5 yesterday.  Barney was very wary, we gave Shauna strict instructions. She's very dog friendly and did as we said. I started by getting her to throw treats on the floor for him without eye contact and build up. Within minutes he was taking treats from her, then investigating her and letting her stroke him.  It was a very promising start.

Other than my niece (and being wary of young girls) he loves everyone, he's a real soppy date.

Not sure whether this will help you or not.
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2007, 01:35:06 AM »
Our Pyrenean Mountain Dog was very dog aggressive when we first got him. But with lots of training and I guess the aging helped too (he is nearly 8 now), he has got a lot better and is now fine as long as the other dog is controlled on lead too. We have recently had an off-lead come up to him and wow, Troy didn't react just politely sniffed and wagged his tail! So things have definitely improved.  :D
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007, 04:54:11 AM »
Hiya
hope you get things sorted with Goose  ;)

Jock will fight with entire males - but to be honest think it's not aggression in this case more of fighting to be top dog  :-\

But must add NOT all entire males - mainly dogs his size

Also My personal experiences with jock have been the other dog starting it - but Jock has invited it cos he is so interested in the other dogs rear

(blimey hope this makes sense as it's nearly 5am and just logged on quick before i go off to airport, will catch you when I get back  ;))

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 06:09:14 AM »
I have never had an aggressive dog, only an aggressive bitch  ph34r Sheba, our last dog, was unpredictably aggressive towards strangers and small-furries  :'(

In what other situations has Goose shown aggression? Molo has had the odd spate with other dogs, and there are some dogs that he positively dislikes (he never starts anything, but bears a grudge  ::)) - but I wouldn't use the label aggressive to describe him - I consider it to be normal dog behaviour  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club