Author Topic: Does your dog show agression?  (Read 9305 times)

Offline dmulally

• Site Member
Re: Does your dog show agression?
« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2007, 02:03:06 AM »
I moved in with a girlfriend a while ago who had a cocker.

He was a great little guy when she wasnt around and would be my shadow, but as soon as she was back he would follow her around and growl if I went anywhere near them.

My ex (now) would tell him off but he didnt care and would slink off outside until it was safe to return.

*The times I noted he was his worst was when he had something over him. As in under a chair, her legs if she was on the couch or under the bed. When out in the open he was ok.
*He would stare at me everywhere I went if he was next to her and if I made eye contact he would growl. Rarely a soft growl but more a vicious junkyard dog growl!
*if I got out of bed in the morning and he was under it and I woke him up, he would snap at my heels.
*if she dropped me off in the car, as the car drove away he would go nuts at me and if the window was down he would try to attack me. I once tried to pat him through the window and he drew blood. Lesson learnt that time.

I was the only one who copped the treatment but I thought and still think he is a champion. He didnt like me in his territory but when she wasnt home (which was a lot for work) he was my best mate and we had a great time together.

Cheers

Damian

Offline julsngraham

• Site Member
  • My Baby at 11 Weeks
« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2007, 08:30:04 AM »
I do have a problem with Paddy - he appears not to like one of my friends - and this is a very recent thing so still working on it - he bit her (not badly) which shocked us all - cos she spends a lot of time giving him attention and 2 minutes later she went over when he was sleeping and he growled at her and as she never moved bit her..   

Just the other day a similar situation he was playing in her house with her and I took his bed round and sent him to his bed - and then 10 mins later she went to pet him and he growled - I told her to move away straight away and she went and sat down- he then got up picked up a toy and went to her for a pat!.   CONFUSING...

Other than that he is excellent with other dogs - I am careful about him being off the lead and use the rule that if the other dog is on the lead Paddy goes back on his too.

He has been great with kids too - but at the moment I am watching him like a hawk - I do know he is protective of chews so he doesnt get them anymore and he has some old bones about but I take them away if there is any visitors - just in case..

Work in Progress with my mate tho..  Dont trust him at all at the moment

Such a sooky petted dog tho otherwise..

Offline cockerella

• Site Member
    • Kennel Cocker Rebel
« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2007, 08:43:45 AM »
I do have a problem with Paddy - he appears not to like one of my friends - and this is a very recent thing so still working on it - he bit her (not badly) which shocked us all - cos she spends a lot of time giving him attention and 2 minutes later she went over when he was sleeping and he growled at her and as she never moved bit her..   

Just the other day a similar situation he was playing in her house with her and I took his bed round and sent him to his bed - and then 10 mins later she went to pet him and he growled - I told her to move away straight away and she went and sat down- he then got up picked up a toy and went to her for a pat!.   CONFUSING...

Other than that he is excellent with other dogs - I am careful about him being off the lead and use the rule that if the other dog is on the lead Paddy goes back on his too.

He has been great with kids too - but at the moment I am watching him like a hawk - I do know he is protective of chews so he doesnt get them anymore and he has some old bones about but I take them away if there is any visitors - just in case..

Work in Progress with my mate tho..  Dont trust him at all at the moment

Such a sooky petted dog tho otherwise..

But why does your friend disturb him in his bed? He should be allowed to have peace there. I know I'm grumpy if disturbed when I want to sleep....
Gro, Mazie Lucky and  Boogi
My Webpage: Cocker Rebel

Offline julsngraham

• Site Member
  • My Baby at 11 Weeks
« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2007, 12:11:43 PM »
We know thats a problem thats easy fixed - he had a dog you could do anything to

We do have other probs which are not so eay fixed tho

Offline DeborahA

• Site Member
« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2007, 03:33:48 PM »
Yes.   It started out with small things - little growls when told to get off - stealling OUR things - chewing them up if she was really annoyed, weeing and poo-ing if locked out of the room, howling if left out other dog/s getting attention etc..  Since her first [and only] season she became very aggressive to our slightly younger Elkhound - this improved for a while but has since reverted - got to keep them separated again as Elkie now will not tolerate even a dirty look.  Never imagined cockers were like this.  Thibnk we, the owners invite trouble by spoiling the cute little bundles so they go on demanding everything and also never learn to stand up for themselves in a confident way or - I think most importantly - learn that some behaviours are simply not acceptable - no matter how cute they are.  Ours now doesn't show overt signs of aggresstion to us but will still occassionally take our things and chew them up if she's annoyed about something.  This sounds crazy - even to me - it's like I'm humanising her - but this is exactly what it seems like.  Its getting so bad now that I'm finding it increasingly difficult to like her - and I realy love all dogs.

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
    • Darvieux Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2007, 03:59:43 PM »
Well Louis is no longer a virgin in the biting world! He drew blood on my brother in laws hand at the weekend. Although we have had challenges with Louis behaviour over the last 11 yrs with regard to challenging my husband (think it would have been more effective to castrate my husband not Louis :005:) and pinching things and NOT giving them back whatever, he has never actually bitten so this shocked me, never mind my brother in law! In all fairness to Louis my BIL against instruction put a sandwhich on the floor, obviously Louis thought "I am having that". He is on steroids and constantly hungry which my BIL is aware of including his liver troubles. Anyway, the BIL tried to pick it up quickly as Louis snatched at it with his mouth, hence the 3 cuts on fingers  >:D To be honest I didn't know who to be more angry at Louis or the BIL for disregarding instruction. I wouldn't mind Louis wasn't even phased by it he just continued scouting the floor for any stray crumbs >:D