Author Topic: Our cocker growls at us  (Read 1603 times)

Offline Woodys Mum

• Site Member
Our cocker growls at us
« on: July 25, 2007, 01:58:06 PM »
Hello

Our gorgeous working cocker (he doesn't work though) is 3 1/2 years old and a solid liver. We love him to pieces but there's one thing that he does that is mystifying and sad. If he climbs on our lap or comes to us he will cuddle us lovingly. But if we go to him for a cuddle, whether he's in his bed or asleep on the chair, he'll growl at us. It starts off quietly but quickly becomes loud and aggressive although he has never bitten.    >:D He is often aloof and won't come and sit with us in the sitting room, he'll stay in his bed. If we tell him off he trembles. It breaks our hearts. Does anyone think that this is just a naughty habit, or could there be some underlying neurological disorder?? Please help!!     :huh: :'(

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
Re: Our cocker growls at us
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 02:29:14 PM »
Hello

Im sure someone will come along with some great advice - I just want to say that if your dog is sleeping - regardless of where he is - then you should just leave him to sleep. It is no wonder he is growling if you come up and waken him from a deep sleep for a cuddle - Im sure you would feel the same if soneone did the same to you  ;).

With regard to the growling in his bed - it sounds like he is guarding his bed when he is in it. I have no real experience of guarding but Im sure someone will be along in a while and give you some great advice.

A dog will growl to warn you that it isnt comfortable in the situaton he is in and that he could bite if that situation contineus. I probably wouldnt advise telling him off for growling - you should heed his warning and move away, ignore him with no eye contact. By tellling him off for growling, you are telling him off for warning you that he could bite. The last thing you really want is a dog that bites without warning.  :-\

Hope that helps.

Cx
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."

Offline Woodys Mum

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 02:48:31 PM »
Thank you for your advice, yes, I think he should be left alonw when he's sleeping. But he does it at other times as well, like when I'm drying his paws after being outside. Do you think this is just grumpiness? He even shows his teeth sometimes! Such a crosspatch. >:D

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 03:02:18 PM »
Agree with what's been said. Alot of cockers hate having their feet touched. My Sasha really grumbles when I'm drying hers. Has been known to curl her lip. I think she has very sensitive feet
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline Ailsa

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 03:09:20 PM »
Could your wee doggy be in any pain, e.g. a bad back - sometimes that can make them snappy and bad tempered?

Offline *Lucy*

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 03:11:31 PM »
From reading you other post maybe he is in some sort of pain and possibly might be linked to the seizures he has had?

My Girls - Molly & Honey

Offline Woodys Mum

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 03:13:34 PM »
That's a possibility. I have also posted a thread about him having a seizure (albeit in the wrong section!) but I'm not sure that this is significant in all aspects of his growling. He's been like this for a couple of years, lol! :005: But will definately point this out to the vet. We are going on Saturday for a long discussion with him. Will post anything I find out. :luv:

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 10:09:03 PM »
How much do you know about canine communication/ behaviour?
It sounds like books such as the culture clash and the complete idiots guide to positive dog training may help you.
Humans as a species are very touchy feely and some dogs just don't like it.
If I meet a dog in the street I let the dog choose whether it wants to interact with me or not, I never force my attention on the dog.
It sounds as though you may need to undertake steps to build your relationship with your doggie, what sort of activities, training, games etc do you do together already?
Mark

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Woodys Mum

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 10:35:01 PM »
Of course I would never 'force' attention on strange dogs!! The point is that sometimes he wants a cuddle, other times he doesn't, with no apparent difference in circumstance. I can see now, as I write this, that it all sounds normal. It's hard to explain, but we know our dog and all I can say is that it is strange.
We have spent alot of time and money taking him to one-on-one dog training. He walks to heel, comes to the whistle and understands different whistle commands that mean different things ie. 'come here now' or 'I'm changing direction, take note'. He understands a whole range of words and sentances, whatever tone of voice they are spoken in. He is trained never to bother livestock, and to ignore other dogs on walks, unless they want to play. People constantly comment on his wonderful behaviour and training. I just wish I knew what is behind all this grumpiness, when it's all come on gradually. >:(

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 08:12:45 AM »
I know from one of your other posts that he has also experienced a fit recently, and medical problems have a huge part to play in a dogs behaviour, so I think getting to the bottom of his physical well being is really key to working out his behaviour  ;)

It sounds like you have worked really hard with Woody and that he is a very obedient, responsive dog - do you mind if I ask what training ethos your trainer has? Was it positive reinforcement methods?   :huh: 
From experience, I know that some dogs can become reactive (growling/aggressive) over time as a result of punishment or correction-based methods such as check-chains and dominance rolls, but I am hoping that it isn't the case here?  :huh:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Woodys Mum

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 11:10:08 AM »
No, there were all sorts of methods, depending on the problem. Mostly it was the 'ignore bad behaviour and praise the good' type, like when he kept jumping up (I find this endearing, but not everyone does!) Alot like the Victoria Stillwell kind of thinking ('It's me or the dog') We were told by our trainer that cockers are very sensitive and that scolding is generally counter-productive. He said you have to take different training angles depending on the breed. He worked wonders with Woody but we only really took him in his first year-18 months, and we haven't been about the grumpiness. Perhaps it's just one of those things you have to accept, and I shall enjoy the cuddles that he does initiate!  :luv:

Offline PennyB

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2007, 12:00:43 PM »
He said you have to take different training angles depending on the breed.

Sounds like a sensible trainer rather than some who do one size fits all and expect cockers to behave and respond in training like collies and GSds do. Why not see him again for a 1-2-1
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!