Author Topic: Converted to Burns  (Read 7842 times)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: Converted to Burns
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2007, 10:27:49 PM »
does it lose it's taste the longer the bag is open?? :huh:  I've transferred it into a container, but I don't want to buy too big a bag if it does!!

Burns doesn't contain emulsifiers - so the fat will go rancid once exposed to air - when I checked with burns they suggested no longer than 6 weeks once opened.
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline starboy

• Site Member
  • Theo and Apollo
    • Starboy
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2007, 10:33:50 PM »
Theo and Apollo have now started to have Burns introduced into their diet and are really enjoying it. They eat it very quickly but do seem to be hungry again quite soon. Is this normal?
From the Darby family

Offline caro

• Donator
  • Sam
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2007, 09:17:54 AM »

Burns doesn't contain emulsifiers - so the fat will go rancid once exposed to air - when I checked with burns they suggested no longer than 6 weeks once opened.

I'm glad you've said this as I was about to embark on buying a big bag - does putting it in a container make it last any longer or is it 6 weeks regardless?
Caroline & Sam RIP Fern x RIP Charlie Cat x

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2007, 10:44:29 AM »
does it lose it's taste the longer the bag is open?? :huh:  I've transferred it into a container, but I don't want to buy too big a bag if it does!!

I checked with the Burns nutrition people this morning Rachel, i was told three months.
We fill an airtight container up, and always make sure the bag is tightly closed.
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2007, 12:34:08 PM »

I checked with the Burns nutrition people this morning Rachel, i was told three months.
We fill an airtight container up, and always make sure the bag is tightly closed.

That does make a difference - I had stopped buying it as "standby food" because of the short shelf life - I might get another bag if it lasts that long  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Gromit

• Site Member
  • Always look up.
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2007, 01:29:18 PM »
Thank you everyone re the Burns thread. Truffle was quite hyper, even allowing for the new environment, so we changed her to Burns over her first 5 days with us, rather than wait. She seems much better. Her coat is also so glossy, like a mirror! I feel happier knowing she is on healthier food.

Offline cupcakebarb

• Site Member
  • Oscar my baby boy n Bramble my baby girl
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2007, 10:57:05 PM »
Glad I found this site my pup seems to turn his nose up at anything!  He has weetabix with goats milk for breekie and turns his nose up at any form of dog food at dinner.  For tea we have been givin him mince which he woofs down.  But I feel hes not getting what he needs so to speak.  Never heard of burns till now and they is a supplier local il give it a try.  But may need to add bit of fish or meat to start with??

Offline Claire83

• Site Member
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2007, 12:48:34 PM »
We converted Roxy to Burns over a week ago and i've really noticed an improvement. Her coat is shinier, Pooh's are alot nicer and not as smelly and best of all she seems to have calmed down quite a bit! Although she stiill has us wrapped around her little paws!
The cocker spaniel.........It will leave paw prints on your heart which will remain with you, Forever!
'Roxy' (Stellenbosch Demeter)14.06.07-01.10.19 - Forever loved & missed. xoxo
'Milo' (Laurellakes Viktor Rolf) 01.12.2020-

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2007, 09:53:49 PM »
Our 3 are now totally on Burns and they have al improved in al sorts of ways.
Buffy seems calmer, and so does Josie and Josie does not suffer from wind like she used to
She also seems to be drinking less water now.
Suki also seems calmer.
We took Josie to training classes last night for the first time in quite a while and loads of people commente on shiny coat - you can almost see your face in it!  They all seem to love the food too which helps!
We have to buy 2 different types as Buffy is still on the puppy mix and the other two have the chicken one!
I can thoroughly recommend  Burns so far  ;)
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(