Author Topic: Changing amount of feeds  (Read 1177 times)

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
Changing amount of feeds
« on: August 21, 2007, 12:39:04 PM »
Glen will be 1 next week and these last few weeks he has started to be pretty 'couldn't care less' about his breakfast. We don't give him his grub in a bowl, we give it to him in a dispenser thing that he has to knock about to get the food to fall out otherwise he inhales his meals.

We are considering puttin him onto 1 meal a day but that concerns me he will be going to long between meals. So my question is to all those peopl out there who feed once a day. How do you know they are not hungry throughout the day? Do you give a snack before bedtime? I don't want to starve my wee boy  :huh:
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline Cass

• Site Member
Re: Changing amount of feeds
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 01:29:31 AM »
Hi Theresa, we were feeding our girl once a day, and found she was putting on too much weight. Were told by our vet to give 3/4 of the amount we were feeding and give twice a day. By feeding once and at night time, she was then sleeping and not working the food off.

Why don't you try feeding in a bowl, I think he will enjoy his food more, its not unnatural for a cocker to inhale  their food there shockers at that! :005:

Cazzie

Re: Changing amount of feeds
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 10:07:40 AM »
I used to feed once a day, but after reading a few bits and pieces on here I split my dogs daily intake into 2 meals. Id rather eat twice than only once, but its personal choice. Some dogs dont care for breakfast so maybe as you say a snack rather than a meal would suit better  ;)