Author Topic: Dog Borstal  (Read 9790 times)

Offline tinstaafl

• Site Member
Dog Borstal
« on: September 04, 2007, 08:54:41 PM »
I know that Mick (??) from Dog Borstal is a bit of a gobby chav but his idea (on an overweight cocker, as it happens) of "water aversion therapy" was to get the owner to throw a glass of water directly in the dog's face. You should have seen how the dog reacted - poor thing was terrified. My understanding was that this type of training was supposed to involve a quick squirt from a water pistol behind the dog's ear so it didn't realise where the water came from.

Of course, after three attempts to get the thing to stop barking, this "technique" worked - a bit like belting it around the face with a rolled up newspaper would have done. And the owner hasn't really trained the dog, she's only made it frightened of barking in front of her. So now, presumably, ignorant viewers now think it's acceptable to use essentially bullying methods to train their dogs.

Dog Borstal - another reason why the licence fee should be abolished.....

Simon

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: Dog Borstal
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 08:56:00 PM »
Oh doG - when will the broadcasters realise that this is NOT entertainment  >:(
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline *sammy*

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 08:58:38 PM »
i watched this and was in shock, it was a whole cup of water, the way she shouted would have frightened me ph34r

Offline tinstaafl

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 09:00:16 PM »
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I'm tempted to put a formal complaint in to the BBC. I think it was way out of order...

Simon

Cazzie

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 09:07:10 PM »
Fan tastic I love this program  :shades:  Im also looking to see of cesar milan is doing a british show as Daisy will be his first pupil  ;)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 09:09:48 PM »
Fan tastic I love this program  :shades:  Im also looking to see of cesar milan is doing a british show as Daisy will be his first pupil  ;)

The only redeeming thing about CM is that he settles out of court when people sue him  ::)
Oldies Club

Cazzie

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 09:14:50 PM »
i watched this and was in shock, it was a whole cup of water, the way she shouted would have frightened me ph34r

Do you live with a dog that is a nurotic barker that bark bark bark bark bark bark barks the whole day long for no reason. Im sorry but throwing a cup of water in a dogs face to get in to stop barking does work, I use the watering can on Daisy outside and it does work. If I cannot stop Daisy's nurotic barking what will it lead to, it will lead to my neighbours complaining and then what, she is taken away or worse  :-\

With some dogs you can easily cure them with simple tactics, but unless you have experienced a dog that has a human head on its shoulders and is a dam sight clever that you (or so they think) do not condem these people until you have been in the situation youself. Why do you think these dogs are there in the first place  ::) Think about it  ;)

Cazzie

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 09:16:59 PM »

The only redeeming thing about CM is that he settles out of court when people sue him  ::)

Rachael

I would quite happily have him here to work with daisy, just ask any one from here that knows her and they will prob agree with me  ;)

Offline ClareB

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 09:17:47 PM »

With some dogs you can easily cure them with simple tactics, but unless you have experienced a dog that has a human head on its shoulders and is a dam sight clever that you (or so they think) do not condem these people until you have been in the situation youself. Why do you think these dogs are there in the first place  ::) Think about it  ;)

This particular dog was there 'cos it's owner was useless and had never done anything with it.  It weighed 23kg, and was fed an apalling diet, including a daily treat of a tub of candy floss.   >:D   ::)
Clare, Milo & Mocha

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 09:21:04 PM »
I take it this is a new series? I missed it  >:(
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline ClareB

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2007, 09:22:22 PM »
Yeah.  You didn't miss much.   ;)
Clare, Milo & Mocha

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2007, 09:26:38 PM »

Do you live with a dog that is a nurotic barker that bark bark bark bark bark bark barks the whole day long for no reason. Im sorry but throwing a cup of water in a dogs face to get in to stop barking does work, I use the watering can on Daisy outside and it does work. If I cannot stop Daisy's nurotic barking what will it lead to, it will lead to my neighbours complaining and then what, she is taken away or worse  :-\

Rachael

I would quite happily have him here to work with daisy, just ask any one from here that knows her and they will prob agree with me  ;)

Cazzie - I can PM you the positive methods we have used to train Bonnee  ;) She was re-homed to us due to her excessive noise, and in six weeks we have made great progress, despite living next door to the most dog-intolerant neighbour in the world  :-\

If the likes of Mick and CM believe that their methods are a "last resort" and without them then the dog would be PTS, then although I disagree, I would be prepared to accept they have the dogs best interests at heart.  However, the fact that they consider it acceptable to broadcast their work on TV (in order for them to make money), when they know that there are thousands of inexperienced pet owners who will misuse and misapply their techniques on dogs that do not need them undermines their altruistic motives somewhat  :-\
Oldies Club

Cazzie

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 09:32:06 PM »
Water is a fav anti barking remedy used to be a surprise attack on a barking dog, many's a dog having water squirted or throw at it with the command NO has worked wonders.  ;)

As I didnt see the program did he physically beat the dog or use physical punishment  :-\ Probably not, dogs dont like having water squirted on their faces and there has been many a time our kenneled dogs have heard the water coming throught the hose and backed off to their beds before the water has even touched them  ;)

Offline tinstaafl

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2007, 09:32:47 PM »
Of course, the owner was moronic, the dog was severely overweight and she clearly needed more training than the dog - as they always do in these sorts of programs.

Our pup barks continually, at leaves, birds on the TV, me, dustbin lorries, EVERYTHING. We're working on it and he will get better. However, I will never throw a glass of water in his face and anyone who thinks that is acceptable is very misguided. As IWLass points out, there will ahve been thousands of viewers, some as stupid as the trainer in question, who will now think that this method of "training" is appropriate.

Anyhoo, I've put a formal complaint into the BBC through their internal system. I will send a letter to the Director General tomorrow. I don't intend to let this one go  >:D

Simon

Cazzie

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2007, 09:35:16 PM »
Of course, the owner was moronic, the dog was severely overweight and she clearly needed more training than the dog - as they always do in these sorts of programs.

Our pup barks continually, at leaves, birds on the TV, me, dustbin lorries, EVERYTHING. We're working on it and he will get better. However, I will never throw a glass of water in his face and anyone who thinks that is acceptable is very misguided. As IWLass points out, there will ahve been thousands of viewers, some as stupid as the trainer in question, who will now think that this method of "training" is appropriate.

Anyhoo, I've put a formal complaint into the BBC through their internal system. I will send a letter to the Director General tomorrow. I don't intend to let this one go  >:D

Simon

Mmm like to have you here for a day youd do more than throw a cup of water at daisy, infact I dont think youd last a day as I know for sure you certainly wouldnt get any sleep  :lol: