Author Topic: Dog Borstal  (Read 9791 times)

Offline tinstaafl

• Site Member
Re: Dog Borstal
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2007, 09:36:32 PM »
Water is a fav anti barking remedy used to be a surprise attack on a barking dog, many's a dog having water squirted or throw at it with the command NO has worked wonders.  ;)

As I didnt see the program did he physically beat the dog or use physical punishment  :-\ Probably not, dogs dont like having water squirted on their faces and there has been many a time our kenneled dogs have heard the water coming throught the hose and backed off to their beds before the water has even touched them  ;)

The dog was clearly very frightened. I'm quite a realist when it comes to dog training but it turned my stomach. We're not talking about a squirt of water here Cazzie, we're talking about throwing a glass of water directly at the dogs face whilst shouting loudly at it. It came across as cruel and abusive, simple as that.

Simon

Cazzie

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2007, 09:37:00 PM »
i watched this and was in shock, it was a whole cup of water, the way she shouted would have frightened me ph34r

Do you live with a dog that is a nurotic barker that bark bark bark bark bark bark barks the whole day long for no reason. Im sorry but throwing a cup of water in a dogs face to get in to stop barking does work, I use the watering can on Daisy outside and it does work. If I cannot stop Daisy's nurotic barking what will it lead to, it will lead to my neighbours complaining and then what, she is taken away or worse  :-\

With some dogs you can easily cure them with simple tactics, but unless you have experienced a dog that has a human head on its shoulders and is a dam sight clever that you (or so they think) do not condem these people until you have been in the situation youself. Why do you think these dogs are there in the first place  ::) Think about it  ;)

Fan tastic I love this program  :shades:  Im also looking to see of cesar milan is doing a british show as Daisy will be his first pupil  ;)

The only redeeming thing about CM is that he settles out of court when people sue him  ::)

Rachael

I would quite happily have him here to work with daisy, just ask any one from here that knows her and they will prob agree with me  ;)

Cazzie - I can PM you the positive methods we have used to train Bonnee  ;) She was re-homed to us due to her excessive noise, and in six weeks we have made great progress, despite living next door to the most dog-intolerant neighbour in the world  :-\

If the likes of Mick and CM believe that their methods are a "last resort" and without them then the dog would be PTS, then although I disagree, I would be prepared to accept they have the dogs best interests at heart.  However, the fact that they consider it acceptable to broadcast their work on TV (in order for them to make money), when they know that there are thousands of inexperienced pet owners who will misuse and misapply their techniques on dogs that do not need them undermines their altruistic motives somewhat  :-\

Im always open to new things for daisy Rachael, so that info would be great, I could start a diary on Driving Miss Daisy  :lol: ;)

Offline tinstaafl

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2007, 09:38:26 PM »
Of course, the owner was moronic, the dog was severely overweight and she clearly needed more training than the dog - as they always do in these sorts of programs.

Our pup barks continually, at leaves, birds on the TV, me, dustbin lorries, EVERYTHING. We're working on it and he will get better. However, I will never throw a glass of water in his face and anyone who thinks that is acceptable is very misguided. As IWLass points out, there will ahve been thousands of viewers, some as stupid as the trainer in question, who will now think that this method of "training" is appropriate.

Anyhoo, I've put a formal complaint into the BBC through their internal system. I will send a letter to the Director General tomorrow. I don't intend to let this one go  >:D

Simon

Mmm like to have you here for a day youd do more than throw a cup of water at daisy, infact I dont think youd last a day as I know for sure you certainly wouldnt get any sleep  :lol:

I can sleep through earthquakes :)

Simon

Cazzie

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2007, 09:40:03 PM »
Water is a fav anti barking remedy used to be a surprise attack on a barking dog, many's a dog having water squirted or throw at it with the command NO has worked wonders.  ;)

As I didnt see the program did he physically beat the dog or use physical punishment  :-\ Probably not, dogs dont like having water squirted on their faces and there has been many a time our kenneled dogs have heard the water coming throught the hose and backed off to their beds before the water has even touched them  ;)

The dog was clearly very frightened. I'm quite a realist when it comes to dog training but it turned my stomach. We're not talking about a squirt of water here Cazzie, we're talking about throwing a glass of water directly at the dogs face whilst shouting loudly at it. It came across as cruel and abusive, simple as that.

Simon

As I said I didnt see it and you did, and it obviously was that bad that you are going to complain about it. I get on my high horse with regards to people treating dogs like china and creating problems like I have done with Daisy, but if the owners were to blame then I can certainly see where you are coming from as I certainly would not distress any dog. Daisy is a whole diff ball game, she is a JRT so I shall say no more  ;)

Offline *sammy*

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2007, 07:03:56 AM »

Simon

i think what shocked me was yes the overweight bit, the candy floss bit and the fact that this woman didn't have a clue.

it was more than a squirt, the shouting to accompany the water didn't help either

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2007, 07:36:11 AM »
That's awful, :-\ i didn't see it but i'm tempted to complain. Will it be repeated anywhere?

Do you live with a dog that is a nurotic barker that bark bark bark bark bark bark barks the whole day long for no reason. Im sorry but throwing a cup of water in a dogs face to get in to stop barking does work, I use the watering can on Daisy outside and it does work. If I cannot stop Daisy's nurotic barking what will it lead to, it will lead to my neighbours complaining and then what, she is taken away or worse  :-\

With some dogs you can easily cure them with simple tactics, but unless you have experienced a dog that has a human head on its shoulders and is a dam sight clever that you (or so they think) do not condem these people until you have been in the situation youself. Why do you think these dogs are there in the first place  ::) Think about it  ;)

Cazzie, i live with a dog who was a neurotic barker, and tbh i think you've hit the nail on the head with your choice of word, neurotic, as in nervous and stressed, it's not for no reason. :-\ it took Lucy took almost a year with me before she calmed down to the point where she didn't yap every time we left the flat for a wee.
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Cazzie

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2007, 08:33:13 AM »
My daisy never barked till she was almost 2, she was brought up in the middle of nowhere with abs nothing around to make her bark. She started barking like alot of terriers when she was playing with a ball/stick or toy, it then esculated into her barking to get what she wanted. She will also bark or speak for many different things. I cant even take Daisy now in the front of the car like I used to all the time as she will not let me leave the car without an almightly scene, she will not let anyone leave the house without throwing a tantrum, I cant feed the other dogs without her going crazy, I cant leave the house without her going crazy and pick up a lead/ball/bit of food and she goes doolally. She goes crazy when the other dogs come back froma walk and starts her barking around 5am, she also sits and growls at things all day, she is waiting for the next thing to bark for.

Daisy is not a frightened dog, very far from it, she alway has to challenge my authority and she always always has to have the last word, she is ext clever and obedient and I would say she is the most obedient (apart from Belle) when doing what she is asked but BARK thats a different ball game. If you say quiet to daisy as you do when training a dog to do this, she is quiet, click and treat, or distract her with something really nice make her sit and so on, she will then once thats finished or you turn your back is off the the original place where she casued a scene and starts all over again.  >:(

Ive yet to meet someone who can help me overcome this with Daisy but im sure I will someday, thats if its not too late by then.  :005:

Offline Vino tinto !

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2007, 08:50:28 AM »
A friend of mine,who is a world renown springer spaniel breeder of working dogs,trains them not to bark by saying no,then if they take no notice of the stern no, he then sprays a small amount of water at their face from a small plant sprayer !! He sells his dogs,fully trained at retrieve,heel,etc etc all over the world ! If they are disobedient he bites their ears as their mothers would have done !! They are just the best behaved dogs you could ever wish to meet !! Oh, and he adores them and they him. So perhaps we all have different ways of achieving the same thing.  :blink:

Offline september

• Site Member
  • Summer is for ball throwing!
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2007, 09:08:44 AM »
I didn't see it so can't comment on the actual programme but going from the comments I have read there seems to be a difference between using water to startle the dog enough to make it stop barking and frightening it into submission which I don't think I agree with.

Anyone know if its repeated anywhere?

Offline tinstaafl

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2007, 09:25:56 AM »
September, did you get my PM?

Simon

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2007, 09:29:26 AM »
I believe it is on again tomorrow (Thursday) at 8pm on BBC 3.  ;)

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**

Cazzie

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2007, 09:32:41 AM »
A friend of mine,who is a world renown springer spaniel breeder of working dogs,trains them not to bark by saying no,then if they take no notice of the stern no, he then sprays a small amount of water at their face from a small plant sprayer !! He sells his dogs,fully trained at retrieve,heel,etc etc all over the world ! If they are disobedient he bites their ears as their mothers would have done !! They are just the best behaved dogs you could ever wish to meet !! Oh, and he adores them and they him. So perhaps we all have different ways of achieving the same thing.  :blink:

I wouldnt bite a dogs ear thats a bit extreme and ive never seen a mother dog bite her puppies ears either  :-\  :o You can train a dog to bark on command but training a dog not to bark is a diff ball game as you cant be with them all the time  ;)

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2007, 10:52:00 AM »

I wouldnt bite a dogs ear thats a bit extreme and ive never seen a mother dog bite her puppies ears either  :-\  :o You can train a dog to bark on command but training a dog not to bark is a diff ball game as you cant be with them all the time  ;)

I agree, and especially with spaniels, who's ears dangle in everything, i'm not sure it'd taste too nice either. >:( :lol:

ph34r I managed to train Lucy to coo on command, but cannot get her to stop on command, now she coos when she wants a treat :lol: so we have to ignore all noise from her completely. ph34r (Ignoring her is making a huge difference though :D)
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline Ailsa

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2007, 10:58:02 AM »
I saw the programme and quite frankly I think the owner should have had the water thrown over her to wake her up to what a stupid person she was. Whay do people allow their dogs to get in such a state?!!  >:D

My (limited) understanding is that water aversion therapy can be very successful in such cases, though as previously noted it is usually a squirt and not a full glass of water thrown in the face. I think that the methodology was perhaps good, but actually putting it into practice was a bit OTT, especially when the programme is watched by owners who will also try to put these methods into practice with their own dogs. They need to think more about the consequences of their actions.

And trying to get a JRT to stop barking - well that is always a bit of a severe challenge isn't it!!  :005: I can understand why Cazzie would be willing to try anything!!

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2007, 11:30:06 AM »
dearie me... the dog wasn't that bothered about it, soon settle and sat at the bottom of the tree if it had been stressed it would have been pulling and cowering not comfortably waiting for the nice treat that it was getting or the praise for being quiet.

Most dogs aren't bothered about a bit of water if I chucked water at mine which I don't she'd have a right old laugh with it... sticks her head under the tap, drinks from the bottle, rolls in any puddle she can find and loves running under the hose :D :D

I thought the piece about the deaf dog was fantastic especially a bull breed, his owner had excellent hand signals nice big and open, was very proud of the little mite when he came running all that way on his recall in the test. 

Also interesting to see the owners of the rescue who had gotten a little too sympathetic with their dog to see the dangers of its dog aggression their 'she's only playing' was something I see alot of by owners who don't recognise the problems in their own dogs and blame it on others when fights occur.  They were visably shocked when she tried to attack the dog brought in and thankfully it sunk in that they needed to do something about it, exactly what they did hats off to them never easy to find fault in something that has not had a good start to life.

No matter whose program is shown on tv there is always going to be someone that doesn't agree with the training methods but better that these programs are on to encourage other people who don't train their dogs than have nothing to show people how irresponsible they are being.

Hope the cocker got a decent diet in the end lovely dog such a pity to see them overweight like that.