Author Topic: Dog Borstal  (Read 9792 times)

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
Re: Dog Borstal
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2007, 11:50:42 AM »
It's just a shame that people copy all these training methods and then behaviourists have to pick up the pieces afterwards if it hasn't worked or made the problem worse...  >:(  Many aversives appear to work, but create other problems elsewhere which most dogowners won't pick up on. That's why I am so reluctant to use them... unless I am around a dog all the time and can see what the longterm effects are.

I too have a spaniel that used to bark lots... waiting for food, at the door, wanting to play etc. He is no problem now... we ignored all attention barking and reinforced any noises other than bark. He now makes funny whiney noises when waiting for his food - no problem for me, no problem for the neighbours. Quite entertaining really. With the door, we taught him to get a toy to answer the door. Although he has now learned to bark with a toy in his mouth...  :005:, it is a muffled bark and no problem. This method can be used in all sorts of situations... all we have to say now is "where's your ball" and he gets a toy and prances and dances about with that instead.

Positive training methods are not "simple"... I take exception to that! They are not just for basic training and when it gets heavy going, we take the guns out! Positive training methods can be used for everything, usually more successfully than other methods. I am not saying that aversives or even punishment can never be used, but both aversives and punishments can have so many possible side effects even when used correctly and well timed (which in 90% of cases it isn't!!!) that it just isn't usually worth it! It is certainly not something that should be shown on TV where people go copying things without thinking about it twice - despite the warnings that are shown in both Dog Borstal and Cesar Millan...

Vera
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline bella15

• Site Member
  • Cody
Dog Borstal
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2007, 11:59:22 AM »
Did any one else watch this last night?  It was the start of  a new series .It involved a deaf Bull Terrier,a rescue Rottie & a cocker spaniel.The cocker spaniel had a problem with eating anything it could get hold of.The lady who owned it had been feeding it candy floss and other items that were not good for it (it was very overweight).They ended up with Mick Martin training her  :o. I give that lady her due,after being made very aware by Mick to the fact she was killing her dog,she did actuallly listen and by the end of the programe on the up date the dog was a very different animal and the lady  a much better owner.

This programme is repeated thursday (tomorrow) at 8pm on BBC3

Have merged this post into an already existing thread.
Michele

Offline Niki

• Site Member
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2007, 01:08:51 PM »
dearie me... the dog wasn't that bothered about it, soon settle and sat at the bottom of the tree if it had been stressed it would have been pulling and cowering not comfortably waiting for the nice treat that it was getting or the praise for being quiet.
Tasha, I absolutely agree !! I did watch it, and didn't think for a second that the dog was frightened, petrified or other such words that people have used on this thread to describe 'Joe's' reaction.
I'd say he looked a little suprised, but was clearly not stupid, and 'got it' very quickly. It wasn't a case of beating him into submission!
And he seemed a lot happier as a result !
To have made such a big point about this, but not all the atrocious things that the owner had been doing out of 'love'(candy floss in particular), I find surprising frankly.

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2007, 03:43:18 PM »
Vera I'm afraid your dogs whining would not be tolerated in my house.  We sometimes get dogs that come to training that have learnt to whine because they have always been trained on their own and have no patience, can't stand it and you certainly can't put up with it on a shoot if your working them would drive everyone mad.

In some respects you've not solved your problem just changed the bahaviour slightly...

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2007, 03:55:22 PM »
Vera I'm afraid your dogs whining would not be tolerated in my house.  We sometimes get dogs that come to training that have learnt to whine because they have always been trained on their own and have no patience, can't stand it and you certainly can't put up with it on a shoot if your working them would drive everyone mad.

In some respects you've not solved your problem just changed the bahaviour slightly...

I have changed a behaviour that was not acceptable for me into something that IS acceptable for ME in that particular situation! That doesn't mean that it would be acceptable for anyone else! It is the only situation where he whines (it is not a whining really, it's a very interesting and funny noise...). And trust me, he has learnt patience as a default - eventhough it's not his nature at all... we have four dogs! Jesse (8 months old) is the youngest!

I am not saying that people should (or shouldn't for that matter) accept whining... that's down to each owner to decide. I am talking about one possible option that I have taken in my situation to turn unacceptable behaviour into behaviour that is acceptable to us (doesn't mean it's got to be acceptable for anyone else). This was simply done by reinforcing what I wanted (quiet noises) and ignoring what I didn't want (barking). I didn't need to use aversives for it like water spray etc. If I had wanted to completely eliminate any noises, I would just have continued to ignore ALL noises not just the barking and it would have stopped and he would have sat quietly! But that wasn't what I expected him to do... quiet noises is no problem for me, and that's what I reinforced.

Oh, and we have no intention of using him for shoots or the like... he is an American cocker in full coat! He'd bring the whole forest home with him in his coat. Even if we did, it wouldn't be a problem. In our competitive obedience class, he has no problem at all awaiting his turn and the same goes at home when I train our dogs where he patiently waits for his turn without any noise at all! He's used to that from 8 weeks old!

Vera
Vera Marney

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2007, 04:00:02 PM »
 :D

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2007, 07:50:03 PM »
If they are disobedient he bites their ears as their mothers would have done !!

I can't believe this kind of archaic and ridiculous so called 'training' still goes on..... :-\
helen & jarvis x

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2007, 01:19:53 AM »
If they are disobedient he bites their ears as their mothers would have done !!

I can't believe this kind of archaic and ridiculous so called 'training' still goes on..... :-\

Me neither - it's depressing, isn't it ? I can't think of any level of 'disobedience' from a puppy that would make me even consider sinking my teeth into it's ears.  :o  :-\

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2007, 10:33:52 AM »
Can't comment on this thread now as I'm just going to chuck a bucket of water over my dogs head cos he is barking (Do you really think I would?) :lol:
All they are doing is interupting a behaviour and surpressing it and not training the dog to do something more acceptable.
I'll be back for a rant later on this one but needless to say i am banging my head against a brick wall over some of the posts in the thread.
As for Mick Martin or cesar milan coming round here I would love it, but only to throw water at them kick them and see if it changed the way they responded. >:D
I am afraid to say this sort of training and a lack of understanding is still very prominent in the dog world as I am finding to my horror.
To quote one famous slogan for a high street bank " Their is better way", just takes skill , patience and know how to use it some of the time
What do I know?
 :lol: ;)

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Trischie

• Site Member
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2007, 11:25:30 AM »
Hmmm, I'm looking forward to seeing the programme this evening, after all the discussion.

From the ones I've seen in the past, I do feel that clearly show that dogs are dogs and should be treated as such, and not humans or children or partners etc. I remember the woman in the last season who had an extra living room and tv for her dog and it wore a big while eating!

Can't comment on the water thing though, because I've never had a yappy dog. If Oscar starts to get that way, I'll turn to you all, before I ask Mic!

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2007, 02:46:01 PM »
Hmmm, I'm looking forward to seeing the programme this evening, after all the discussion.

From the ones I've seen in the past, I do feel that clearly show that dogs are dogs and should be treated as such, and not humans or children or partners etc. I remember the woman in the last season who had an extra living room and TV for her dog and it wore a big while eating!

Can't comment on the water thing though, because I've never had a yappy dog. If Oscar starts to get that way, I'll turn to you all, before I ask Mic!

So throwing water at a dog is how you should treat them?
I agree dogs should not be treated like children in one sense, but in another do you think that dogs need to learn what is acceptable in human society.
Everyone has different relationships with their dogs and I see mine as my buddies and companions not objects I have to bully to get what I want or impose my authority over. My authority over my dogs has been earned through trust and understanding and I have worked Bl**dy hard to get it to where it is.
I believe the key to my success as a dog trainer is the relationship of trust I have built with my own dogs and what this has taught me.
This relationship takes time to develop and involves understanding what makes an animal tick and motivates it to do certain things.
It is easy to throw water at a dog or kick it to stop what it is doing, but you are just burying the behaviour and not changing it.
I could have thrown water every time Bayley reacted aggressively towards someone when I got him but it was precisely this sort of punishment that contributed to his mistrust of humans in the first place.
I have said on here before that punishment does work, but it has pitfalls and it may not be long lasting.
Prime example, I went to a dog club the other night and some of the dogs were kicking off and barking at the other dogs.
The owners were all shouting NOOOOO and yanking up on the collars which stopped the barking stopped for  a few seconds.
Then one woman took to throwing her keys at one dog who was carrying on and again it had the effect of stopping the barking for a split second.
Ok the dog stopped barking, but the dog was almost posing a question "what do you want me to do instead?"
This is the problem with DB They interupt but then don't train an alternative.
They also seem to have no idea about what is motivating the dog in the first place.
I was not instructing but I could not let this carry on so I butted in.
I tried explaining the reasons why the dog was kicking off which were plainly obvious to me, however the instructor could not see it.
I took the dog to the other end of the hall and began to calm it down with some TTouch.
I got the dog to a distance where it felt comfortable and began to let the dog look at the other dogs.
If the dog was calm it was rewarded and as it turned out we ended up about halfway towards the other dogs by the end of the night with no reaction. He was so chilled and calm for me and I don't know whether the instructor was embarrassed or impressed.
What I'm trying to say is if you treat the symptoms of a problem you may stop them for a while but treating the cause takes longer and I'm afraid me doing ttouch on a nice calm dog would not make as good TV as the old dear screaming and throwing things at the other end of the hall.
Yes what they do stops the behaviour briefly there and then but does it last?
I doubt it.
Mistiming and misusing the techniques shown on this programme can lead to opening up all sorts of cans of worms as well.
What I have seen on this show in the past is comparable with bullying.
Everyone lives their own way with their dogs and I guess people will all disagree about how best to do it forever and a day, but when you learn about dogs to an advanced level you really begin to tear your hair out that people do so much damage trying half heartedly to copy the techniques shown on programmes such as Dog Borstal and Cesar Milan.
I must have had three clients this week that have asked me if i watched the Dog Whisperer and have been shocked and horrified when I have voiced my disapproval.
I agree with Vera it is the dog trainers who are left to pick up the pieces from programmes like this and I suppose I should be glad of the business, but  to be honest I rather not have it.
I have dogs with issues, I work with dogs with poor social skills on a daily basis and have never yet reached the desperation of throwing water at a dog.
If I had to do it I would give up.
Mark

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2007, 02:51:34 PM »
To quote one famous slogan for a high street bank " Their is better way", just takes skill , patience and know how to use it some of the time
What do I know?

You obviously know a great deal and that is why you are highly regarded on here by people who use the site regularly. I would listen to you before Mic or Ceaser every day of the week!

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2007, 03:00:15 PM »
I must have had three clients this week that have asked me if i watched the Dog Whisperer and have been shocked and horrified when I have voiced my disapproval.

I get the same. Worse even, my FIL keeps telling me he watches it and how good he thinks CM is because he gets results. He has never noticed him using a prong collar or anything else that hurts the dog...  >:(  I am at desperation point with him now and have decided to get a prong collar just so I can show him what CM does...  :-\

Vera
Vera Marney

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2007, 03:06:00 PM »

I get the same. Worse even, my FIL keeps telling me he watches it and how good he thinks CM is because he gets results. He has never noticed him using a prong collar or anything else that hurts the dog...  >:(  I am at desperation point with him now and have decided to get a prong collar just so I can show him what CM does...  :-\

Vera

Did you ever see that video of when Pauline put a E collar on me Vera?
She put it on a low setting and I still jumped out of my chair much to everyones amusement.
I decided there and then just what i thought of such devices and that i could never use one on a dog.
Mark

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2007, 03:13:03 PM »
What do I know?

You obviously know a great deal and that is why you are highly regarded on here by people who use the site regularly. I would listen to you before Mic or Ceaser every day of the week!

That is very kind thankyou.
There are a lot of people who know a whole lot more than me think the same way about these programmes.