Author Topic: question about food.....  (Read 1778 times)

Offline loznick

• Site Member
question about food.....
« on: September 17, 2007, 06:02:24 PM »
when i picked poppy up last week her previous owner gave me the food that she had been feeding her which was tinned chappie meat and pedigree chum all mixed together, and some mixer stuff from sainsbury. I tried to feed poppy this stuff, but she just sniffed it and walked off, wouldnt touch it for 2 days, so i thought id try her with something different. We mostly shop at asda so decided to try her on asda's HERO meat, and she wolfed it down   :shades: which is great cos shes eating and i was getting abit worried avout her not eating anything, but why didnt she eat her normal food if thats what shes used to  :huh: shes on this asda stuff all the time now and loves it, bit of a pain that it only comes in about 2 or 3 flavours though  :-\

anyone got any ideas?
Ollie (cocker) & Hollie (lab)

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: question about food.....
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 06:41:05 PM »
To be honest I wouldn't feed any of that stuff to my dogs if they gave it away free. None of it is good quality food at all. Pedigree food is full of additives and colours and supermarket own brands do not contain good quality ingredients either, if you look at the back of the tin it's likely to contain 'meat derivatives' which can be anything and even those will be a very small percentage of the overall contents - which begs the question of what the rest of it is  ph34r 

Of all the foods you've tried the Chappie is probably the best one but even that isn't great unless your dog needs a bland food after a stomach upset. Dogs do tend to like stuff like Pedigree, Bakers etc. but that's because it's full of artificial flavourings; it's a bit like feeding your kids McDonald's and Skittles every day, they like it but it's not very good for them.

If you do a search on here you will find lots of threads with good quality food suggestions. Good complete (dry) foods include Burns, Arden Grange, Autarky, Nutro and James Wellbeloved (if you don't object to the ethics of their parent company) and good quality wet foods include Nature's Menu and Nature Diet which are available from Pets at Home. These will all be more expensive than the Asda stuff but you get what you pay for really.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline loujo

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 08:00:27 PM »
I agree with what Nicola says above.  I feed my 2 cockers on Burns and they love it and do very well on it too.
Louise xxx
(and Robbie 10yrs old and Alfie 7yrs old)

Offline Letichia

• Site Member
  • Maverick
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 09:24:37 PM »
I also agree with Nicola. My two are also fed on burns and are thriving on it! :D
They can deliver to your door if you don't have a local stockist.
Letichia, Lilly, Polo and Maverick x

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 11:24:18 PM »
Mine's on Burns and in great shape..

Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Teisen_bach

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 01:58:41 PM »
My last dog and Teisen will both be fed on BARF,

Ive heard good things about Burns and JWB but really anythings probably better than the stuff she's been getting  :-\
Hugs from Jue & Teisen bach xx

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 02:03:47 PM »
If money is a problem, i can really recommend Autarky. I feed my dogs on it as it's free from artificial nasties, high meat content, and only £15 for 15kilo's :D
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 02:23:24 PM »
If money is a problem, i can really recommend Autarky. I feed my dogs on it as it's free from artificial nasties, high meat content, and only £15 for 15kilo's :D

Where you getting it from for that price??? I feed my lot Autarky too but can't find it for that price so eagerly await your response  ;)  (please don't say Costco)

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 02:37:48 PM »

Where you getting it from for that price??? I feed my lot Autarky too but can't find it for that price so eagerly await your response  ;)  (please don't say Costco)

Jollyes, but i rounded it down, it's actually about £15.70, still a bargain. :shades:
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline Aearoniel

• Site Member
  • Callie
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 04:39:59 PM »
Costco sell autarky for £10 for 15kg

Callie is on Royal Canin (will be moving her to Autarky when she's older) and she loves it can't get enough.

Puppies can go off their regular food under stress, and coming home can be the most stressful thing ever when your tiny and have never left mum before. Also innoculations put them off a little for around 24hrs after each jab.

HTH

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 04:43:13 PM »

>:( >:( I have heard that but there isn't one near me  >:( >:( and i don't like to rely on anyone else that lives near one

Hhmm - just had a thought must ask nicola where the one in Edinburgh is  ;)

Offline Aearoniel

• Site Member
  • Callie
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2007, 04:44:45 PM »
My local is Watford so a bit of a trek but at that price it's hard not find a reason not to go, fab food fab price :D

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2007, 08:08:08 PM »

>:( >:( I have heard that but there isn't one near me  >:( >:( and i don't like to rely on anyone else that lives near one

Hhmm - just had a thought must ask nicola where the one in Edinburgh is  ;)

Beside Ikea on the very imaginatively named Costkea way  ::) :005:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/